Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spring Break: Ram and Goat Exotic Adventure

Spring Break in the Hill Country

Instead of taking our wives to a secluded tropical beach for spring break, NTA1902 and I decided to go on exotic bowhunt. Against recommendations from others, we headed for The Wildlife Ranch in Mason, TX. Since NTA1902 had already hunted with them, he knew the scoop with this place, so we told our young guides were only interested in hunting the $700.00 area. Unlike the $1000 and $1500 pastures, the $700 area is wooded and has some relatively tough terrain. The area is about 800 acres and it has some hills and lots of thick areas, which also includes lots and lots of cactus. I think we both are still pulling out thorns from all parts of our bodies. At about 0815 we entered the hunting area and we quickly spotted our prey. NTA1902 was pursuing an exotic ram and I was targeting an exotic goat. Before we knew it, the goats and rams split up and headed for cover. We initially drove the area in the truck to get a lay of the area and also to spot for animals. Being unsuccessful, we then decided to get on foot and track our prey. Because of all the eyes upon us, we decided to help each other out. Our two guides attempted to drive the area and NTA1902 and I attempted to setup for a shot. Without much success, NTA1902 and I thought we might just go after our prey ourselves using our guides to help move animals are way. At about 1000, we finally had our first real opportunity on a nice group of rams. As I was spotting, I notice NTA1902 pull up and quickly shoot. I heard the familiar sound of an arrow hitting its target. What did you hit, I asked? I hit a nice ram, but it was a little far back, NTA1902 replied. When the guides finally caught up to us, we began to track. Shortly thereafter, we found the animal. Although it was the shot was a little far back, the animal was down. NTA1902 scored on a nice Corsican ram that appeared to have some paint in him. Congrats!!

Now it was my turn. During this whole time we had not seen any goats, so we spread out and went on a mission. After finally spotting them, we began to attempt to get within bow range. I say attempt, because this took about another 2.5 hours of sneaking, running, and squatting. We chased these goats all over the property. I came close to pulling the trigger on my release several times, I even thought about attempting to shoot at a running animal, but chose not to. I am glad I did, even though he was only 8 yards away. Then at around 1230, we had them corned in one area of the property. Though one of the goats I had chased was not with this small group, I spotted the other animal that was on my hit list. This particular animal was a Black New Zealand goat. I knew that this was fourth and one. I probably would only have this shot given that we chased this group for over 2.5 hours and actually had only hunted a half a day. Because I sometimes have trouble determining distance without my range finder, I asked NTA1902 what’s the distance? He replied by saying, shoot he is 30 yards. I then jumped onto a 4 ft. ledge, drew back, placed my 30-yd pin just above the shoulder area and released my Easton Axis 400 grain arrow. Like a movie, I saw the fluorescent vanes hit its mark. The 100 grain slick trick penetrated the lungs and the animal went down like a ton of bricks. Awesome! My first goat! He scored just shy of silver in ROE and he is going to look good on my wall.

If you want an adventure I would highly recommend the $700 pasture. I cannot speak for the other areas. I do know that the more expensive areas are just fields, so I am not really sure how you could really sneak up on anything. I did however notice there were some ledges and rocks in one area so that might be a possibility.

Before you harass us, I will say one thing...pictures are pending.

Comment

More pictures are coming.
      Attached Files

Comment

Great hunting with you, Juan. Here is another pic.
        Attached Files

Comment

Nate is a ram killing fool!

Comment

Sweet animals. Congrats guys!!

Comment

congrats yall good liking rams

Comment

nice rams, is the new zeland ram related to the catalina goat?

Comment

see the wildlife ranch isnt so badd!

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleGProstaff View Post
                    nice rams, is the new zeland ram related to the catalina goat?
                    The Angora or New Zealand goats are classified as Catalina goats. The Catalina Goat (Capra Hircus) is also known as a Spanish Goat because, Spain is where it originates. This particular goat will be black, brown, reddish brown, or white on most animals, however, other colors are not uncommon. The males have horns that grow up and back from the head in large twists. A large male can weigh up to 200 pounds with the female weighing about 80 pounds.

Comment

Nice goats.

Comment

sweet lookin pictures...looks like a fun time was had, congrats!

ac

Comment

nice congrats

Comment

Nice animals

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                              X