Success in Callahan County

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Success in Callahan County

Haven't had time to get this one posted but I guess late is better than never.

Made a quick mid-week trip to the lease to do some work and a little hunting. Weather conditions were not the best as the wind was howling. Well the second afternoon the first deer that came in was one we had been seeing on the game cameras and I decided that I really liked him. My shot was "a little far back"(as they say on the hunting shows) and I was really sick, I still can't figure out what happened. I watched him walk out to about 100 yards and stand there till dark. Not knowing whether he bedded down or moved off I eased out of the stand and decided to give him some more time. I waited till around 11 and went back out and found the arrow covered in blood and a really good blood trail. I followed it to where he was standing and found a few spots afterward but no deer. I was disappointed after find that much blood but with fading flashlight batteries I decided to call off the search till the next morning. Got a pretty good rain the next morning before day light so I knew that finding any blood would be impossible so I just started walking the direction I thought he was heading the night before and just ended up walking right up to him. It looked like he died in mid-stride. I was pumped I could have easily walked another way and not found this deer. This deer will always have a special place on my wall as his browtines are awesome and his main beams are really unique.

Scored 124 7/8 and weighed 187 lbs on the hoof.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0626 (Medium).JPG
Views:	4
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	24786869

great buck Gary- Love how the beams girl up like another point off a beam. Great BT's too! Glad you found him!

Comment

Good looking buck! Congrats!

Comment

Nice looking buck, glad you found him.

Comment

Congrats! Beautiful buck.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Awesome! I hunt in Callahan myself. Sounds like a liver shot? Good job waiting...they usually won't go far if not pushed. I have learned from that mistake.

Comment

Great pic also

Comment

That's a cool deer, congrats.

Comment

I like that one Gary...nice character to him. Congrats and thanks for the write-up.

Comment

Thumbs up on a beautiful buck.
                      Congrats.

Comment

well done, GJ. Congrats on a mighty fine buck!

Comment

Oh....and good to see you hard at work.

Comment

Cool looking buck. Congrats.

Comment

Nice buck Gary!

Comment

Working...
                              X