Lampasas cull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lampasas cull

I hunt a 350 acre ranch in Lampasas. It is family land and I have several cousins and other relatives that hunt there. I am telling you all this because it makes it very hard to manage the deer there because everyone seems to have a different philosophy on managing the place. My brother and I are of the opinion to let them get 4-5 years old and grow to their full potential unless they are obviosly culls. Our ranch borders Krivoman's ranch and we have seen some great improvement in the deer over the past 8-10 years. I hunted opening weekend and passed on a great looking 11 point. He was obviously a young buck but geeez he was nice! The first pic is a trail cam pic of him. This buck was under my feeder for over an hour and was such a pig that he did not even run when the feeder went off. He sat there and let the corn fall all over him and continued eating. I wonder if he might be deaf. Anyway, I did not shoot anything opening weekend. I had a chance to go back last weekend and passed on this same buck twice. He was in the feeder for 45min to an hour both times. I am not going to lie it was hard passing on him as he would easily be my largest deer ever taken. I am very scared that one of my family will shoot this buck, they are all rifle hunters. I can only hope he gets smarter and stays in my area for the remainder of the season. The last evening I hunted I had several does pass down wind of me and they knew something was not right but they did not blow they just did not come in to the feeder. A few minutes after they left three bucks approached and a spike went right in without checking the wind. He started eating immediatly and I was hoping the other two eights would follow but they did not. They checked down wind and decided they did not like what they smelled either. They did not blow they just trotted off. I was semi-relieved that they did not blow but still skeptical as to whether I would have anything else come in. The spike fed for about 15 minutes then decided he was finished and left the feeder pen. He met up with a small 8 outside the pen and they started sparing. I was enjoying watching those two when I noticed movement coming in from my right. Two more eights were headed into the feeder and they did not check the wind. I noticed one was kinda limping. The other buck was a young eight that needs at least two more years. The limping deer we will call "single jingle" (you will find out why latrer). Well I had seen Single jingle on trail cam and my brother and I decided he was a cull. I decided to take him. He offered me a quartering shot at 10 yds and I smoked him. He ran about 150 yds and I watched as he crashed in an open field. I am glad I saw him fall because I made a semi-high shot and he only bled for about the first 30 yds and then it was very hard to trail. While cleaning this buck we found that he had an old injury on a hind leg and that he only had one testicle (single jingle). This was the first deer that I shot up there in 6 years. I really hope that noone gets to the 11 point and maybe I will see him again next season.
    Attached Files

I forgot to add. Its hard to tell in the pics but his left side is a lot different from the right. The right side had a 10 1/2 inch G2 the left side was only 7 inches. The G3 on the right side was 7 inches and the left was pretty much non existant.

Comment

I commend you on passing that awsome deer. If you are open with your family about not harvesting that deer I would think they would listen. Congrats on the cull he sure is nice. Congrats.

Comment

Nice job on the cull and the 11 pt. is going to be a hoss in 2 yrs.

Comment

Congrats on the buck and good luck with the ones you are letting grow. It is not easy to pass deer like that, but next year will be even better.

Comment

Thanks guys, unfortunately most of my family would shoot this deer in a heartbeat. They can't pass up a 1 year old 8 point much less this deer. The trail cam pic was from before the season and now he looks a lot more impressive with a larger body and neck. I am going to talk to them about it but I have a feeling it won't do much good.

Comment

Congrats on single-jingle. I hope your decision to pass the 11 works out. He's one heck of a buck already.

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Congrats.

Comment

Congrats on the buck. I wish my ranch bordered Krivoman's.

Comment

Nice shooting on the Jingle man! We always knew he was a wierd one. Of course I think this deer him me in my truck. He decided to try to jump the back end of the truck while I was driving atnight. I was not sure what hit me, but I heard a little bump. Sure enough, the back tail light was busted. the next5 day we saw him limping at the feeder close buy... Glad you took him out. he still grew a great rack for being hurt.. Her is a trail cam of him in sept...\
                      Attached Files

Comment

nice looking buck, congrats

Comment

Congrats on the cull!!!!!!

Comment

congrats on the cull

Comment

Sweet deal! I would badger the heck out of my family on that buck. If they dont listen human hair works well

Comment

Working...
                              X