Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Public land victory!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public land victory!

I went to an old favorite spot of mine, where I cut my teeth on bowhunting. It's one of those spots that just has something magic about it. When I started the trek to my tree I could feel that it was gonna be a good hunt. As I approached the area, I spotted 6 hogs that almost let me get a shot at them. They let me put down my climbing stand and my jacket, put on my release, knock an arrow and as I was about to draw back they decided to bust out of there. Oh well, it really got me pumped for the hunt just knowing that game was already moving in the area. so I picked everything back up and continued to my tree along a trail covered in deer and hog tracks and plenty of acorns. I settled in around 4 pm. I said several prayers for the Lord to bless me with a safe and successful hunt and just thanked him for the opportunity to even be out there. The wind was completely opposite of the direction I was anticipating but it wound up working to my advantage. At around 5:45 I saw movement in the thick foliage about 60 yards away. As I strained my eyes to try to see what it was, I saw the hind quarters of a deer through the brush. My heart starting beating out of my chest instantly! Three doe started working their way straight towards me! I stood and turned to position myself for the shot and as the big doe stepped out on the trail I drew back...Crap! my arrow was off to the side of my drop away rest!!! So I slowly let back down and put it back on my rest, drew back again, aimed low and released in what I felt was a perfect shot. But as the deer ducked and ran, for some reason I thought I hit her too low. I climbed down after a few text messages and inspected my arrow. Blood! I started trailing and the blood just kept increasing. Yes! This is good! I texted a good buddy of mine, Larry, and he was on his way to help me out. I trailed her for about 50 yards and there she lay!!! Perfect shot! Yes! Victory on public land!!! This is my first deer on public land with a bow. A trophy in my book! I don't think it could have been any more perfect. I was definitely blessed with a safe and successful hunt! I even enjoyed the 1/4 mile walk back to the truck dragging her through mud and 3 foot tall weeds!

Below are pics of the stand, the shot, and the groceries!

Sorry for the long post but thanks for coming along for the hunt!
    Attached Files

Awesome story, Congratulations on your public land deer... Truly difficult to do!!!

Comment

Congrats on your public land doe! Nice trophy pic too.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

That's pretty cool! Nice animal and pics.

Comment

Very happy for you! I have had the privilege and good fortune to drag a couple out of there. I'm honored and extremely happy I was able to rush out there and be a part of that. With all that huffing and puffing you were doing dragging her, not sure you could have made it out by morning without me!

No feeder, no hand corn and with a climber...the hard way...the public hunter way!

Comment

congrats friend.

Comment

Congrats on the trophy!

Comment

Backstrap in the freezer..........

Comment

congrats on the kill!

Comment

Congratulations....Shoe

Comment

Great story.