Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Wolves in East Texas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not too sure about East by God Texas.....but in general....Coyotes are pretty small.....but....you would not believe the size of the coyotes we shoot in Utah and Wyoming every year.....

sometimes they just get a little bigger than usual....but they are all targets

Comment

Originally posted by Shurshot View Post
      I have video of what I think was a red wolf in S. Texas from about 10 years. Looked exactly like a coyote but about 3 times as big. Don't know if it was a big coyote, hybrid or a red wolf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post it so we can see

Comment

Originally posted by 41Chevy View Post
        I saw a white one around that size in Northern Saskatchewan on a bear hunt. It looked like a Shetland pony gliding thru the trees.

Comment

Annnnnnd here we go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TCR² View Post
            Dang it that means I'm one of "them" east Texas people....[emoji15]

Pshhh imagine my surprise. I just found out I'm a deep east Texan from Deweyville and not a southeast Texan. That "Sabine thing" will flat out raise the hair on the back of your neck anytime it gets near you.

Comment

here is an east texas mountain lion, wolf and wolverine I trapped a few weeks ago
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by JMcCullough View Post
                Pshhh imagine my surprise. I just found out I'm a deep east Texan from Deweyville and not a southeast Texan. That "Sabine thing" will flat out raise the hair on the back of your neck anytime it gets near you.

I've heard that Sabine Thing mentioned in the past by people but I never asked what it was or supposed to be. Village Mills and Deweyville are just far enough apart that most of us from both places don't know too many people from each town.

Comment

The last wolf pack in Texas was rounded up in east tx in the late 90s. They were easy to detect bc of a distinct howl. The biologist drove around with a fake wolf call out of a speaker, until they located the pack. They trapped them all and relocated them to a sanctuary In Georgia I believe. This is directly from tpwf. I wish there were still bears and wolves but I don't think there is enough game in east tx to support another predator.

Comment

Originally posted by forest-hunter View Post
                    The last wolf pack in Texas was rounded up in east tx in the late 90s. They were easy to detect bc of a distinct howl. The biologist drove around with a fake wolf call out of a speaker, until they located the pack. They trapped them all and relocated them to a sanctuary In Georgia I believe. This is directly from tpwf. I wish there were still bears and wolves but I don't think there is enough game in east tx to support another predator.
                    I would think the abundance of pigs in this area would support just about any predator out there capable of catching them!

Comment

I've seen some really big coyotes, but a wolf is still much bigger than a large coyote. Side by side, it is easy to know one from the other. The problem is most people have never seen a wolf, so they assume that once a coyote reaches a certain size, then it is a wolf. That's kind of like me saying once I human reaches a certain size they become a gorilla.

Comment

Originally posted by Cantcatch5 View Post
                        I would think the abundance of pigs in this area would support just about any predator out there capable of catching them!
                        Great point, I would love to see a grass roots organization to try to reintroduce the black bear. That could help reduce the swine problem.. on another another note. Do coyotes eat hogs????

Comment

I'm sure there are some coywolves running around here. I've seen several that were not only big, but had a different gait and appearance. Never could get a shot off in time though.

Comment

If yotes and wolves are so hard to tell apart, and some people are so certain we have them, why aren't there countless wolves killed every year by people thinking they're shooting coyotes?

Comment

I think they do. They are just mixed breed though so they don't really count as wolves to TPWD or the feds.

Comment

I have personally seen Red wolfs in Newton and Sabine county's. Caught one in a steel trap back in the 80's.

Comment

Working...
                                X