No announcement yet.

Looking for East Texas Bears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a friend in Red River Cty that has seen one in person and on game cam.

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
      so we should learn to live with terroists too?
      According to you, we have to learn to live with "terrorist"...the "disappearing bear" kind.

Comment

Deep, deep back in the boonies (like where you'd expect the bodies to be buried) near a hunting camp between Pittsburg and Mt Vernon around the lake we used to see tracks. That was in the late 70's and early 80's

Comment

A confirmed sighting in Nacogdoches county last year.

Comment

Originally posted by tinman View Post
            According to you, we have to learn to live with "terrorist"...the "disappearing bear" kind.
            read more i said i had mixed feelings about them also... im on the fence... and whats more in my 50 plus years without bears, i havnt been at a loss for them here.. elk were native here at one time also,,,,so why not put as much money in thjem as bears and timber rattlers.... anybody actually miss the doodoo bird?

and for whats is worth i let one walk opening day last year in tyler county........

Comment

Bear Stories

Stories about Uncle Bud Brackin, Ben Lilly, Ben Hooks.

Here's another link if the Big Thicket hunting heritage is of interest.

Abernethy presents the history and folklore of the Big Thicket and its people, including a collection of Alabama-Coushatta tales, a search for hidden Jayhawkers during the Civil War, a nineteenth-century travel account, and a family history of the legendary Hooks.

Comment

Cool links, Froggy!

Comment

Originally posted by kfd82 View Post
                  Why do you want bears in Texas?
                  I hope all of the people saying they want to see bears in Texas remember that when they are tearing up your feeders, stands, camps, ect... and its illegal to shoot them because they are protected.

what is a bear good for, if you cant hunt them? They will be able to tear stuff up, kill other animals and probably a person or two...and we cant hunt them?

What is the UP side of having bears in the woods?
                  Mixed emotions.............

They have become such a nucance in our neighboring state. They should open a season where you have to draw for a tag. As for TX bears creat a large hassle. just wait till one tears of the seat of your four wheeler and eats the foam out of it.... and so on and so on. It would be cool to see bears and hunt bears in TX, but we woul have to have a big effot into bear proofing everything in East TX.....

Comment

Originally posted by kfd82 View Post
                    Why do you want bears in Texas?

what is a bear good for, if you cant hunt them?
                    You have a problem.

Comment

It blows me away how some people react to the re-introduction of a native species.....what affect will it have on my deer feeder. That is sad.

As far as those that are genuinely concerned for their safety.....you are more likely to be killed by a drunk driver on the way to your lease as opposed to being mauled by a black bear.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                        As far as those that are genuinely concerned for their safety.....you are more likely to be killed by a drunk driver on the way to your lease as opposed to being mauled by a black bear.
                        Do you think those odds would hold up if there were as many hunters as there are non-drunk drivers?

What if there were as many bears as there are drunk drivers?

Comment

From experience I'd rather deal with a bear anyday rather then a snake. I can see a bear easy, smell them easy, and hear them. There could be a snake right next to you and you'd never know it until they struck you.

I've ran around the woods up in Oregon and Alaska a ton and never had one give me a full on charge. I've seen tons, even had them on my front porch while in Alaska numerous times.

They will tear the crap out of feeders I'm sure though haha.

Comment

What's a yoot ????

Comment

Originally posted by holdem View Post
                              What's a yoot ????
                              Oh, excuse me Your Honor... Two youthssss..

It's about 9:10 into the clip

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
                              I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

Comment

Thanks Froggy...I was up reading those links half the night!

I found it very interesting (read: sad) that the old east Texas bear killers seemed to blame the "rich sport hunters from Houston" for the bear's disappearance from the region...it had nothing to do with the 50-100 bears they were each killing per "season".

Bet that State Record 118 bears in a single season will never be broken.

Comment

Working...
                                X