Is The Rut Starting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is The Rut Starting?

I came home tonight at about 9:45 and on my way in I saw a 6 pointer chasing after a doe, nose to the ground in the church parking lot. I drove on and in my yard, there was a nice 10 pointer chasing a couple of does. I wonder if they are just messing around, or if this is the beginning of the rut?

I seriously doubt any does are in heat just yet, but the bucks know it won't be long, so they're just trying to get a jump on things. I always like the two weeks prior to the full rut rather than the rut itself. Seems to be more activity and the bucks come to horns more.

Comment

the pre-rut has started in our area. I have videos of bucks scraping, fighting, chasing, etc... I don't think the does are ready yet though.

Comment

Are they rutting!?!?!? Oh yes they are doing what they do with an exceptionally cooler fall linked to a 2nd new moon. Here's proof.....this young fella was caught working his woman like a top notch American cutting horse. Course this scene was in the Hill Country and adjust accordingly where you hunt. My recommendation is......start now here!

Here's a nice buck tailing his doe in the classic head down, sniff snill posture. Doe was roughly 20 yards in front of him and she was waltzing around in that doe "catch me big boy" attitude they do when playing tough to get. Squatted to pee and then kept moving along in a teasing manner. Talk about chubbies.....Legdog would have been proud but he's literally tagged out.

Yet another confirmation things are going that direction in the whitetail woods. "Howdy Darling, my name is FullBra er uh FullDraw.....what's your name?"

And here's one more just to re-affirm my findings. When you have to sniff the air to get a bearing......you are certainly are not running with Heath. That boy is always dead on LOL!

Comment

Don't think for one minute just because you're residing all the way in Kerrville that I won't open up a can on you, ATW!

I have wheels and can travel.

Nice pics as per usual from you. Hope you are having fun.

Blaine said the bucks are starting to think about the girls up around Electra the last few days. By the time we get back from a couple of gigs that will have us rolling tape through next Tuesday, may, just maybe they will be ready to play coming the opener of the general season.

Let's all hope so.

Comment

Really depends on where you are located. One of the does my son killed last Sunday was definitely close. Started seeing bucks this week that I have not seen before on the chase, bucking up to other bucks, etc. We're seeing the beginning here.

Comment

yep, it is nigh!

Comment

I seen a bunch of bucks with the noses up does behinds last week and the week before that I saw one get mounted. This week it has seemed to die down in my area as the bucks could care less about the does.
                Jeff Young

Comment

Hunted Gus Engeling last week and they were making scrapes and rubs and starting to harass the does. I don't think that it is going full steam but they got it on their mind.

Comment

Having an absolute blast Amigo! 3+ hours of tape and we ain't even got warmed up yet. This video stuff is an absolute hoot and the pixel snapper has been working overtime as well. Got some excellent stuff this season and the plan is to pile up more before going to South Texas in December.

Comment

Starting to run pretty hard in Hays County.

Comment

I have a few reports from Angelina county that they are in the seek and chase stages of the rut. They are chasing does and trailing at our lease outside of Lufkin. I have yet to see it but others on our lease have sat and watched them work it. I personally think we will have another week or two of the chasing before we get into any breeding but I be wrong. It could be going on right now.

Comment

Rob sounds like you're hunting with the glass this year.

Comment

It is for me!

Trailboss

Comment

I hunted in Henderson County last weekend and set up over fresh scrapes and rubs and saw a ton of bucks. I must have rattled in 4 or 5 bucks they are on the move and looking to lay claim. Too bad I was only allowed to take a doe, never saw a doe, but buck o plenty.

Pre Rut is all about rattling, give it a try, the bucks will respond!!

Comment

Working...
                              X