Llano rut signs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Llano rut signs?

Hey guys, anybody that hunts in the Llano/Mason area seen any signs of the rut. Last weekend when I was there, the bucks still seemed to be running together. I did see several bucks check an active scrape site, but they seem to be ignoring the does. The rut usually peaks in our area around the first week of November, but it was so screwed up last year that it makes me wonder.

I don't expect the rut to start in Mason County for at least another 2-3 weeks. Last year it seemed to start Thanksgiving weekend.

Comment

I was in Llano last weekend and had five bucks running together at my feeded. A couple of them were mature, and one of them made a scrape and pee'd in it and tore up some low hanging limbs, so they're thinking about it, but not chasing does at all yet. Did see some young bucks harrassing some young does a bit, but that happens all the time.

Comment

I think your going to need a couple more cold fronts to get them started...

Comment

The weather has nothing to do with the rut. I've seen bucks running does in 95 degree heat! It's more a matter of biological timing coinsiding with lunar phases, etc...

One thing the colder weather does is allow the bucks to chase more during the day than waiting until dark when it's cooler.

Good luck

Comment

I hunted in Llano last weekend and like everyone said the bucks were still together and seems to be no sign of the rut yet

Comment

I had bucks chasing does all over me last weekend in Mason, my buddy shot a cull that was on does and he was hocked up and stanking already. Maybe just a teaser but they were definitely frisky.

Comment

glad to here that Jason I'm going up friday night for weekend!!

Comment

I think they are in pre-rut. This very morning I saw a nice 4yo buck come to a feeder I was sitting at about 5 minutes after a group of does got down wind of me and ran away, snorting. I think the buck came in because he heard the does and wanted to check them. He did come in down wind of the feeder and subsequently crossed downwind of me and "blew". He was the reason I got down.
                  The does ran away snorting. He ran just into cover and stood there and blew really loudly. I figgered it was over, then.
                  I don't think he would have even come to the feeder after the does blew if he was just coming to eat. He was looking for something else.

I have also been seeing older bucks along the side of the road as I drive to work in the early morning. I don't see the older bucks unless the rut is heating up.

Comment

I tracked a buck in Llano last weekend and the hunters told me that the bucks have just started to put their nose to the ground and push some does around.

Comment

I've seen a couple of big bucks in Westlake that usually don't come out unless something's in the air...this weekend should be worth a sit.

Comment

How about this weekend guys, anybody see a buck after a doe? I got stuck on a shutdown at work and missed my favorite weekend. They really seem to come to the horns good late in October at our place.

Comment

Bucks are willing but the does won't have anything to do with them. I saw bucks checking the does at the feeders this weekend. I am west of Menard.

Comment

Mason bucks willing but the does not ready. Bigger bucks checking does and maken scrapes.I made a mock scrape by the feeder had 3 diff bucks go check it.I saw more deer this weekend things looking up!!!

Comment

Was leaving my place in llano today and saw one group of deer feeding with bucks still together and then 5 miles down the road i saw a buck running a doe, i think its starting wish we didnt have to take these 5 days off

Comment

Working...
                              X