Bowhunters unite to abolish 40 lb draw weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Let let LSBA run with it

I would like to see the LSBA to Present it as a motion on behalf of the Bowhunters of Texas whom they represent.

But sadly we have seen that there are some LSBA executives that stand against it in LSBA so if they don't, then I would ask the Texas Trophy Hunters Assn which has much larger and more powerful membership base to present it to TPW. the TTHA has more Bowhunters as members than does the LSBA.

Also I will present on behalf of my self and my club the Kerrville Archers And Bowhunters Assn ( KABA).

Let see if LSBA steps up to the plate.

There is a LSBA executive committee meeting Sunday March 18th after the LSBA Banquet but the membership is not invited.

This is a African warthog that Texas bowhunter Ty Weaver, age 7 shot and killed with one arrow from 30 ?# Mathews Mustang bow a Gold Tip Arrow and a Single blade Magnus Stinger. he has shot several good warthogs and I don't know which Pix is what at what age, as to me it not a big deal but the fact Ty enjoys hunting and is good at it, and its building fine character for the future.
    Thanks TINK

Comment

Tink, sir.

Before the LSBA can present an item to the commission, it has to be approved by a majority of the executive council (or the President himself). The council reviews these as "New Items" during the quarterly meetings. As this is not an emergency situation, I think we can wait till their next meeting and then the council can decide what course of action to take on this "New Item".

But, the LSBA doesn't just "wing" it at the commission. A little patience goes a long way. You ever present something to the commission without being prepared you run the risk of your presentation being shot down without due consideration.

Just because a couple on the EC do not approve of something doesn't mean the rest of the council hold the same view. Could be these "couple" are in the minority. I know I was outvoted a couple times when I was a rep.
      Last edited by LostHawg; 03-07-2007, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Tink, I sent an email to my LSBA rep. and asked that they bring this up for consideration to present to TPWD.

TO everyone, We all agree that ethics is a must, so lets not bring it up again. We all agree that there must be a responsible parent with a child, lets not bring it up again.

Lets get back to the question at hand, should this law be changed. I believe it should, not just for MY kids or MY father, but for everyone out there that wants to hunt, but can't comfortably shoot the minimum 40# draw. My wife is very petite. She can pull 35# pretty comfortably, but 40# is still a struggle. She may never hunt, but it would be nice for her to have the option to and to do it at the weight that she feels most comfortable shooting.

I teach archery to the Boy Scouts and there are several boys who can shoot very well, but can't make the 40# minimum. What a shame that they can't enjoy our sport as we do, just for a strength issue.

JMHO

Comment

There is a LSBA executive committee meeting Sunday March 18th after the LSBA Banquet but the membership is not invited.
          Not true, Tink.

LSBA - Executive Council meetings have always been open to the public as well as the membership. Who told you the meeting was closed to membership?

Comment

Yep, open forums Tink. Every mention I've ever heard about EC meetings have been followed with an open invite. Shoot, you don't even have to be a member to attend, only to vote.

Comment

I'll just reiterate what Joey and Tracy said about LSBA meetings. They are open to anyone who wants to attend and we always mention that. Nobody is trying to keep any secrets. That said, I can count on 2 fingers the number of non EC/officer/committee member folks who've shown up at a meeting since I've been on the EC. If you want to be heard, be heard. We encourage feedback from the membership but unfortunately don't often get much. There are many avenues for this to occur properly. All of the EC have their emails and phone numbers published. I'll even list mine below in case anyone needs it. Also, LSBA has a forum for each region on the website where you can post topics to your reps or anyone else.

My other thought on this is: The officers and reps of LSBA are elected to protect, promote and preserve bowhunting in Texas. It is a duty we take very seriously. In that light, any proposed changes to the archery season or regulations need to be studied, discussed and well thought out before a position stance is taken. We also seek and welcome feedback from a consensus of the membership. This is often difficult to ascertain and a handful of opinions on TBH or other forums (while certainly important and valid) can't in good faith be extrapolated to the entire membership. In short, the EC can't go off half cocked on an issue or LSBA and bowhunting will end up losing in the end either through loss on a specific issue or loss of credibility/influence. Speaking for myself, I'm certainly not going to jump to a conclusion without proper due diligence just because an individual member says I should or threatens to take the issue to another organization if LSBA won't play ball. I find those comments offensive and off base.

Roger Henson
              LSBA At Large Rep. and '07 Vice President Elect, IBEP Instructor
              rjhenson@wmconnect.com
              903-564-5068 home phone
              Last edited by Roger; 03-07-2007, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Well stated Roger.

Comment

Thanks for the head up Where will be EC Meeting be held? I have not yet received my magazine

As a matter of record, is it well-known that all LSBA members are welcome at EC meetings.?

I just found out that the state with the oldest bow season in the USA and the first US state to legally allow bowhunting, Wisconsin has a 30# weight limit. new York has 35# and Indiana 35# West VA 30# Maryland 30#

Thanks Tink

Comment

If the problem is weight use a draw lock (perfectly legal) or buy a crossbow and let them practice until they can pull one back. Why dont you just shoot a 80% let off bow? I dont see what the problem is. Dont work the rules make the rules work for you.

BTW i carry a 22 mag with me in a stand at all times most of the time with a centerfire rifle sometimes without. If i'm hunting can I not have a rimfire in the stand? and have killed hogs javs and coyotes. Never a deer. Does that make me illegal by texas laws?

Comment

I am not an Texas Law expert but I was told that during the bow season you cannot carry firearms or have them in your camp or car. If you carried a .22 pistol you may have been in violation. Ask someone here smarter than I am.

I am a native Texan but new back home after being an Army brat and Living overseas.

In All honesty Sir shooting 80% LO or even 99% LO will not help a youngster or oldster overcome an antiquated and unscientific game regulation.

You ought to know by now that folks want to use a real bow like mommy & Daddy not a crossbow in my mind crossbows are inherently more dangerous for youngsters and they cannot uncock them most of the time.

I don't thing we need any minimum bow weight as parents do a better job of policing kids and equipment than the game warden.

Pennsylvania has a term ages ago called SPORT Sportsmen Policing Our Ranks Together. S P O R T

I will mark you down as being opposed to the idea & thanks for your input Tink

PS

Comment

This was my response to your question on another thread. I still do not know what time the meeting will start, but I gave you the location and date.

I have not heard what time the EC meeting is going to start, but it will be at the Plaza Hotel on Sunday.
                        I am not sure where you are getting your information that it is not open to members, but it is inaccurate. All EC meetings are open to membership and the general public. We encourage members to get involved. I think Roger's response was right on target.

I consider the draw weight issue quite critical and something that should not be taken lightly. It has the potential to effect all bowhunters. I would like to see studies, do research and take a look at other states' regulations, not just depend on the information from public forums which may or may not be accurate. As bowhunters, we owe the animal an ethical and humane death and I would like to be assured that a draw weight of less than 40#s can consistently meet that goal.

I have seen the pics that are posted of the success stories with equipment less than 40#s. What I would like to know is how many animals have gone unrecovered or wounded, if any, with the same equipment? However, I would prefer to receive this info by PM, so that it is not posted on an open public forum for others to use against bowhunters.

All evidence must be presented to TPW Commission in a professional manner with facts and statics to back it up. Otherwise, LSBA will lose credibility with the Commission and do a diservice to bowhunters.

As Roger stated, this is not an emergency issue and it is imperitive that the LSBA EC and members have ALL of the facts. There is a protocol for placing new business on the agenda for the meeting. Calling out LSBA on a public forum is not it and I find the intimindation tactics offensive. All personal contact information for all EC members and Chairpersons is listing on the website and in the magazine. ANY of these folks would have been more than happy to explain the procedure.

Dena Kana
                        LSBA Membership Chairperson
                        IBEP Instructor
                        denakana@gmail.com
                        (409) 739-2630

Comment

mesquitecountry, you are breaking the law if you carry it during Archery Season for sure. I'll have to dig a little deeper concerning General Season but I would imagine so if you are deer hunting.
                          Only the archery and crossbow equipment prescribed in this section may be used for taking game animals or game birds. Crossbows are not lawful for taking migratory game birds. The prescribed archery and crossbow equipment may be used during any general open season. Archery and crossbow equipment may not be used to hunt deer during the Muzzleloader-Only Deer Season. It is unlawful to be in possession of a firearm while hunting with a broadhead HUNTING point during the Archery-Only season, except a person licensed to carry a concealed handgun in Texas may carry a concealed handgun. NOTE: A firearm may be possessed in camp, in a motor vehicle, or while hunting lawful game other than whitetail or mule deer and turkey (e.g., exotics, feral hogs, squirrels).
                          As far as the Draw-Lok and Crossbow... well if ya have to ask you wouldn't understand. I am puzzled about the 80% comment? How does that help someone draw a bow?

The question is, do you think a bow under 40# can ethically take Texas game?
                          Last edited by Cotton; 03-07-2007, 11:07 AM.

Comment

As Roger stated, this is not an emergency issue and it is imperitive that the LSBA EC and members have ALL of the facts.
                            Yeah, good call Roger.

Comment

Ok, what a thread.

First let me say that I oppose it.

Now, I am all for kids getting to bowhnt and be part of the outdoors. Do I think a 30# will kill a deer, you bet, if the shot is perfectly placed.

I was fortunate as I started bowhunting when I was 9 yrs old. They did not have kids bows back then. I shot the shortest thing we could find which was an old XI. I shot 70lbs at the time with a 2" too long draw length. I learned to shoot it that way with a LOT of practice.

Now, the main problem I see is that when the adrenaline gets flowing and all the stuff that goes on in a tripod like wind, cold weather,and a target that is feeding around we can all make mistakes. the margin of error on a 30# is considerably less than on a 40# bow and so on and so forth. I think we will see more wounded game than we see now and that will be a larger disappointment to the kids.

I also think part of the problem with the younger generations now is that they do not have to work for anything and do not think they need to. For some reason we as parents have worked hard and done everything we can for them to the point that we don't make them earn anything. With practice and workouts I am a firm believer that anyone (without a disability) can pull 40#'s. It is not that heavy and all the kids in our camp worked up to it pretty easy with some work.

I think the experience of setting a goal and working towrads it will do more for the kid than anything. Also the reward of harvesting that first deer will be special because it is something they earned. Goals are great things to have especially when they are obtainable.

The next thing they will have to do if they remove the draw weight restrictions is ban mechanical broadheads. I can just imagine the number of people shooting mechanicals with a 30# bow and the mess that would be.

The other thing that comes to mind is that there are plenty of exotic hunts that you can go on with your kids and shoot less than 30#'s if you think they need to harvest something. Doe hunts, ram hunts and cull hunts are cheap. I am certain there are several hunts in the $200-$300 range with lodging. This is legal and available to everyone.

I feel for the disabled as well but, when misfortune happens sometimes you just cannot do the same things. I have a friend that cannot shoot a bow because of a back injury and that is just the way it is. He still loves to hunt and does so with a crossbow or a rifle and enjoys the outdoors as much as anyone I know.

Comment

What I'm getting from your post qzilla, is that a 30# bow is capable of taking Texas Game and even less is needed on exotics but you're against kids using below 40 pounds?

If your friend was a true die hard bow hunter and could still draw a 35# compound you'd still say tuff get over it Dude?

Comment

Working...
                                X