No announcement yet.

Bowhunters unite to abolish 40 lb draw weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"You keep bringing up a child’s maturity and having to earn it and so on? Please explain what that has to do with the 40 pound draw limit?"

One of my first post was I would be okay to change it to 35#, because I do think the technology has changed that much and I supported the idea of a proficiency test. It is obvious I have a different opinion than yours and some others but in no way does it mean I do not want your or my children to hunt. And yes I do believe that a child has to achieve the maturity to hunt, but I also believe it is up to the parents to decide when that is. So before you post how I want to keep kids out of hunting please reconsider your position. Just expressing opinions and ideas just as you.

Comment

cotton i can honestly say i dont belive anyone on this site would want to keep kids from hunting, that thought is just plain stupid. just cause a kid can pull 40# dosent mean that he poseses the skills to efficently , cleanly kill deer etc. that is the point that is being brought up here.

Comment

My point is that everyone is focusing on "Kids" for me it's more about adults. In reality it shouldn't be about either and only about whether or not a bow under 40# can ethically take Texas game. If a bow below a 40# draw can do the job then the law should be revamped if not then it should stay the same. The added bonus would be more folks both young, old and some in-between participating in bow hunting Texas game animals.

Comment

Originally posted by Cotton View Post
          My point is that everyone is focusing on "Kids" for me it's more about adults. In reality it shouldn't be about either and only about whether or not a bow under 40# can ethically take Texas game. If a bow below a 40# draw can do the job then the law should be revamped if not then it should stay the same. The added bonus would be more folks both young, old and some in-between participating in bow hunting Texas game animals.
          EXACTLY!!!!!

Well said Cotton. WELL said.

I would add that IF we go with this lower standard, then it is VERY important that education be made READILY available, even mandated. As it is, even the Hunters Ed isn't as readily available as it should be given it it a requirement. I just doubt TP&W could support it.

Comment

Guys/gals...the poundage is not gonna hurt more,or less,Its gonna be whether the hunter is ready and set up.If the hunter has practiced,if the hunter has nerves.I can see a few of my softball buddies get a chance to hunt with me who cant draw a bow back even at 40 pounds,,but they were great bowhunters before,,I can also see jasmine and my kids start earlier and get a chance we didnt have.How much better hunter would you guys be if your parents had the tech,,that we have now.Its not the 80/90's where bowhunting by many were thought to just wound animals..its deadly with the right broadheads and right set up.Whether Compound or trad it doesnt really matter.I bet there are a few trad guys that would put a compound and sight guy to shame on here.Its all in and fall backs to ethics and smart shooting.Nerves and adrenaline will play a factor from ages 7 to 10000..I wish I could know I could hunt that long..Now for Instance..Take Cotton..he is 75 years old,he can shoot a wick off a candle at 30 yards and has been doing it since 20 years old..but he can only draw and hold 32 pounds,,do you want to take this sport that he loves and tell him he cant shoot anymore..I dont want to tell him that..He can still shoot and still make great and ethical shots.Why stop him..In that a kid that can make and take shots on great hogs,,yes hogs,,does that mean we limit her???She could be the next Mary..Sika..Angie.. I say lets get it changed,,its not ganna hurt its gonna help

Comment

Take Cotton..he is 75 years old
              When I met him 5 yrs ago he was 75 and needed glasses back then too...

Comment

A 22 Hornet is center fire and legal to hunt with.

DUUUUU,,I think the term rimfire was used.. You must be the only smart one here......

Comment

Swat I made my contact, did you???

Comment

I'm waiting for a return phone call...

Comment

Me... a return email

Comment

WOW what a thread...Where to start? First I haven't read thru the entire thread (didn't have 2 hours to spare!) As well as the question of poundage, I caught glimpses of kinetic energy, broad head type, proficiency, yadda yadda. My CLOSE ancestral relatives killed buffalo of all things with a stick and sinew string flingin a reed or cedar shaft tipped with a piece of stone. Granted the only law they had to deal with was the law of SURVIVAL. Seemed to work though.
                        In my mind what comes into to play and should be instilled in every hunter (new and sage) is ethics. If I don't have a good shot, I can still go to Krogers and get some meat. Am I going to allow my 8 year daughter to try flingin a missile on the good hopes that she MIGHT hit the pumper or its 2 good breathin buddies? That depends on how much range time she has had, positioning, placement, and proximity of the animal. All ethical calls... FORTUNATELY she has never had the chance with her tiny little bow, so I didn't have to make that call for her.
                        On the other hand, the Good Lord will make room beside the smashed taters if she has her .223!
                        Common sense and ethics folks, the best things you could ever hope to pass on to the youngins..........

Comment

I don't want to come off as a bad guy . I really don't care one way or the other but I shot with a fine older fellow in Tyler last weekend. He was shooting a 30 pound bow. His arrows barely stuck in the targets. I know because I was pulling them. I really couldn't say on a deer but I'm 100% sure he could only wound a hog. I shoot between 57 and 74 pounds depending on my mood. I have more arrows stay in hogs than zip thru and land 10 yards on the other side. I'm sure it can happen but i can't believe it would happen enough to be a common occurrence. JMO

Comment

I think abolition of a stupid, unenforceable, rule would benefit Texas bowhunting, allow more youngsters to enter the sport and would allow more family members esp youngsters & oldsters to Hunt again as a family

I am all for it .
                            American Texas Plain Indian shot bison like this bull with bows they had store Flint arrow tips and Bows that pulled around 30# and they were classic wooden self bows.

The American Plains Indians did a real job on the US Army

Thanks Tink

TINK
                            Last edited by Africanbowhunter; 03-06-2007, 10:12 PM.

Comment

hey there sq2bowman i think you might have hit it on the noggin there ETHICS THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE

Comment

I see this thread has taken on a life of it's own and for good reason. We are all a bunch of dedicated Bowhunters and although we have different philosphy toward hunting, it is still with one goal in mind. Having said that and seeing all the different views on the current law my question would be, how are we going to present this to TPW. We are going to have to bring something to the table that they are willing to listen to. So what would that be?

Comment

Working...
                                X