Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.....or change them back!

Comment

Yall sound like they did about the proposed archery season years ago.

Soccert, the 40# limit was not put into place to prevent anyone from bow hunting. Your main issue seems to be about keeping kids out. Perhaps you should lobby for an age restriction... but then that should be a different thread.
      The same people you speak of that should not be out there will also bring their kids who are not ready to make a good shot.
      If they are not out there with a bow they will be out there with a gun. That would be much better!

My question to you is will a bow that's under 40# cleanly take game animals of Texas?

Hey a post was started and I think it was meant for everyone to state their opinion, so accept the fact someone may have a different view than yours.
      FYI, no problem with a different point of view just with the way some present them.

Comment

Cotton, you're doing find bud. Keep it going.

Even if it were based on KE, what's to say a sloppy release or too light/heavy of an arrow would or wouldn't be counter productive? I think 40 pounds is a good standard. Shoot, I'd even go with a compound dropping to 35 given they met certain criteria/stipulations. (Certain weight arrow, NO mechanical heads below X amount of poundage, etc) But, you know, these ARE the days of "Grab~n~Go" bowhunting.
        Last edited by LostHawg; 03-05-2007, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Yeah, Chris,
          ...or change them back.

Comment

"grab and go"....

Yep...you can get a bow, arrows, broadheads, quiver, release, target, gambrel, and skinning knife in one plastic box!

I think if the law must be changed, 35lb would probably be a good starting point. JMO.

Comment

lol

Not quite what I meant, but okay.

Chew, I've got a brother inlaw who practices maybe 5 times a year.

...with a RECURVE. He thinks since he learned how to shoot it 30 years ago, all he needs is to stretch the muscles a bit and he's ready to go. The rest of the year he complains about shoulder problems and brags on the deer he missed with it. He'll buy broadheads, open the package, screw them on his 2117s, 2219s, 2413s, etc and they're ready to shoot, off the SAME bow, never testing the edge, nor their flight characteristics: "Grab~n~Go".

Before I learned better, I did basically the same with my compound, and later on with my trad bows.
              Last edited by LostHawg; 03-05-2007, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Maybe IBEP is a warranted program...

Comment

Some of y'all refer to 17 and 22cals in the stand. In deer season?? I'd really like to be there when the warden walks up...

I have never been checked by a warden for draw,, but was with a man at LBJ. he was hunting with a 36# at28" recurve. He draws 31 1/2" witch would put him pulling over 40#. He was stoped and received a ticket for hunting with Illegal archery equipment. The Warden was a federal warden..They did not test his bow. They said they did not have to. It was plainly on the limb that it was a 36# bow.. He went to court and LOST. Cost him dearly...........

Comment

Tracy, all that comes down to knowing your equipment and knowing your limitations. I can make a 40# long bow knock a 300 grain arrow with a 2" cut diameter mechanical head and legally hunt any game animal in Texas. Saddly you can't make "being stupid" against the law.

Might be what was meant earlier when some one said this is a “stupid law”!

Comment

yep

Comment

This same BOL is the one that got me started bowhunting. He's a good guy actually, just bull headed and set in his ways like (me).

Comment

Some of y'all refer to 17 and 22cals in the stand. In deer season?? I'd really like to be there when the warden walks up...
                          A 22 Hornet is center fire and legal to hunt with.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	ICAM0037.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	24721607
                          Last edited by Cotton; 03-05-2007, 01:55 PM.

Comment

"Soccert, Your main issue seems to be about keeping kids out. Perhaps you should lobby for an age restriction... but then that should be a different thread."

Did you misread my thread again Cotton. Where did I say I wanted to keep kids out, Heck I have 2 sons and three grandsons that are currently and will be huniting and fishing with me. If you are not wearing your glasses put them on

Comment

why don't we just throw out all the rules
                              I don't want to do...I just want to get one changed; the one that is outdated or shouldn't of been made into a law.

Comment

Because you keep reassuring me that my initial thought was correct. You keep bringing up a child’s maturity and having to earn it and so on? Please explain what that has to do with the 40 pound draw limit?

Would it be because one parent is not a responsible parent as you stated above? Will that parent be any more responsible when the kid can draw 40 pounds? Then again what does that have to do with the 40 pound draw limit?

I got my glasses on so fire away!

Comment

Working...
                                X