No announcement yet.

Bowhunters unite to abolish 40 lb draw weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just think alot of you are only considering your own child as what is the standard, guess what it aint. IM sure all of your kids know how to shoot effeciently and effectively, but im pretty sure all kids dont. Im sure ther are a ton of kids that would grab a 30 lb bow lob a arrow 50 yards at a deer, and the whole time there father going "Way to go son" if the law was changed. Do you think that is ethical. There is just a bigger picture than the kids we are raising to be ethical bowhunters. WE have to consider the unethical hunter teaching his/her offspring the same unethical hunitng practices.
    Redtx Not considering just "our kids" but what would keep the same kids from grabbing a 40# bow and lobbing an arrow at a deer with the father going "way to go son"? Just because a kid can pull the 40# doesn't mean that he is going to be any more proficient, accurate, or ethical.

What we are saying is that that is an old and antiquated law that should be reconsidered. Either by lowering the poundage or by considering ke. I know my father is having a harder and harder time pulling his bow, and for a short while he had a shoulder injury and could barely pull the 40# minimum. He's not a kid so therefore he shouldn't be allowed to hunt? Perhaps this law should be looked at...thats all we are saying.

Comment

Originally posted by Cotton View Post
      I get to see the ones the hunters swear were a double lung shot and couldn't find. Trust me 99% are not DL hits or even close. So no they just made a bad shot no matter how they felt about it.
      So would a newer 40lb bow compensate for a misplaced shot more than newer 30lb bow?

In reality the question is will today's 30# bows cleanly kill Texas game animals? That's the only question that has to be proved to TPWD.
      Will everyone be using todays 30# bows? What was that about narrow views

Comment

Originally posted by soccert View Post
        Hey guys this is turning into a pissing match again, oh what a surprise Hey a post was started and I think it was meant for everyone to state their opinion, so accept the fact someone may have a different view than yours.
        soccert you know im all for a good pissin match,

but the fact of the matter is, it never was the arrow, it was alwase the indian, shot placement is the single most critical aspect of a clean kill, you can shoot a deer clean in the *** at 80# or 20# draw, its not gonna kill it any faster, if the draw weight mininum is lowered, yes it will make a difference in the #of people that are out in the woods, wich im all for, but unfortunatly i also belive it would increase the amount of hunters that just hop themselves/ kids/spouses etc into bowhunting overnight, thus causing an increase in shooting the deer in the proverbial ***. im all for lowering the draw weight mininum, but i belive a profiencey test should be requierd for all people bowhunting, no matter how many #of pull u draw

Comment

So would a newer 40lb bow compensate for a misplaced shot more than newer 30lb bow?
          Nope
          Will everyone be using todays 30# bows? What was that about a narrow views
          Good point so that's why it should be based on KE then it really doesn't matter does it.

Comment

Nope
            Good point so that's why it should be based on KE then it really doesn't matter does it.
            Exactly

Im still with keeping the law the same. I guess im old school to the fact if my kid wants it bad enough he will earn it, if a disabled person wants it bad enough they will figure out how to achieve it.

Good luck to yall on your quest to change the law.

Comment

Last edited by Cotton; 03-04-2007, 11:08 PM.

Comment

I hunt with a recurve and I have a saying, its always a good idea to get the arrow through the deer before he has time to shed or move out of the way .....

Comment

"but i belive a profiencey test should be requierd for all people bowhunting, no matter how many #of pull u draw"

That is something I can get behind and support!!!!!

Comment

What's a proficiency test when you're using site pins? Proficient to draw the bow back and release? We can all do that to some degree. A proficiency test will prove nothing except that bows with sites are more accurate than people shooting bows without sites.

The same target shooter that can x the target 9 out of 10 times can turn to mush when a deer walks by.

...well, I suppose we could use goats for the test.

Comment

Proficiency tests I think would be effective. Especially for those who are new to the sport and kids who want to hunt. I would like to see everyone have to take a test. I see people shooting trad and compound bows that have no business hunting when they can not even hit a paper target at 20 yds consistently.

Comment

It'd save me almost a hundred bucks a year too.

Comment

How is a 34lb bow shooting 260, I dont get that.

Comment

Proficiency test, who would admisted the test?

I think that would be a nightmare to try and get bowhutners that live all over Texas to perform a proficiency on certain dates. How about the out of state hunters that flock to Texas?

If we are required to have a proficiency test I would demand that gun hunters also be required to have a proficiency test. I've seen some that can't hit their target at 100 yards with a scoped rifle.

Again, I don't want us to shoot ourselves in the foot.

Comment

why don't we just throw out all the rules

Comment

...or leave them alone.

Comment

Working...
                                X