Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by atfulldraw View Post
    no.

Your kids (especially when they are being a good kid, being responsible and acting maturely) need to know that their dad has their back.

Stand by for someone to argue with me

exactly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Late Starter View Post
      Let it ride, brutha. Ultimately, your daughter is responsible for turning in the assignment. Moving forward, she will know to CONFIRM its receipt. This is a grand learning experience -- at minimal cost to your daughter. The more you agonize, the more mixed signals you send.

(signed,) Docter Phil
      x2

Comment

I guess the principal that posted that he backed up his teachers all the time puts it in a nutshell. There is very little concern for the millions of children that we intrust to their care. What happened to looking at both sides and then backing the person that is in the right. There are many excellent teachers just like there are many excellent students. We are not lumping them up as careless never do wrong individuals(There are some..I am witness to that). There are teachers that are, i had some of those during my school years. I also had some excellent teachers as well. Instead of "backing" the teachers regardless, how about giving the children a chance and look at their side of it. Sure there are students that don't know the meaning of responsibility. But just as with teachers there are many that are good honest students. Many good students have been fighting a losing battle for too many years.

Come on educators, this is not a battle between you and those kids that have very little to lean on when it comes to being believed.

Bottom line is that the future of our great country lies in the hands of the many great educators.

Comment

This may be the most disappointing thread I have read on this site. As professionals we all make mistakes no matter the profession it's going to happen. I understand the desire of any parent to see their child perform well no matter the situation. What I do not understand is the negative attitude many parents take towards the teacher or admin. in these situations. It used to be common place not to question authority on the side of a child but it seems this has changed dramatically over the last 20 years. I have three boys of my own and if the teacher or coach says my child makes a B then that is what it is. If our coach says that my son is not good enough to start then my child needs to WORK harder. When parents take up for their children they do not understand that the next time conflict arises they are going to run to mommy and daddy to solve the problem. Please do not misunderstand me I love my children BUT I refuse to question a teacher or coach in their profession. I also understand the argument that many teachers and coaches do a poor job and I agree but is this not with any profession? The kids that are sheltered by mommy and daddy are going to have a hard time when they enter life and as a parent that should be a crime within itself!!! P

Comment

One more thing many of these responses could not be more LIBERAL!! Makes me want to puke!!

Comment

It is probably many of the same parents that would not sign off on having their darling little child's butt busted either!!! Sorry, this just ****** me off!! How sad and have a good day!!

Comment

Please just get rid of his posts... Not the whole thread... I'm actually interested in this discussion... Heh

Comment

LOBO, ABSOLUTE POWER??????.......You are the type that scares people,..... and children.

Comment

My view of teachers is entirely different from Lobo's... wow... I can understand taking the teacher's SIDE once you have heard it... but just unflinchingly taking their word over that of your child's regardless of circumstance isn't going to lead to a very good family life later on...

No dad... the nurse here at the home says that he isn't beating you... you should lie less.

Comment

I would pursue it further if I could..if not...so be it.
                      You have an excellent student there.

The teacher may have given her a B, but DAD's outrank teachers.
                      Give her a meritorius A, then take her to a restaurant of her choice and tell her how proud you are of her.

Comment

Aironeout I applaud you for being involved in your kids life and the chain of command that you followed. Sounds like she would make an A in my health class!

Education…. Boy what was I thinking when I made the choice to be a teacher/coach? Under paid and over worked and never treated like a professional. But you know I make a difference in some kids life everyday and that is why I love my job!

It’s a tough job, did you know over 50% of educators leave the profession in the first 5 years. Heck that figure could be higher now….

Here a few of the hats we educators wear during a school day.
                        Teacher
                        Coach
                        Counselor
                        Bank
                        Bus driver
                        Disciplinarian
                        Hall monitor
                        Part time parent

And I’m sure I missing a few!

Not all teachers are bad apples the majority of them are good people and are there for the kids.

Comment

I am also a teacher/coach. I would love to see what a parent would do if they had 100 children!! We are not perfect, but try going and sitting in a class for a day. I am not saying to follow your child. I am saying watch the teacher. See what they go through everyday and see if it is worth $35,000/yr.
                          I don't think that the teacher handled the situation well. But there is also the possibility that the student accidently put the test in their folder and took it home. Or, I know at the end of school we recycle all the papers in the folder. So the test may have gotten stuck in the recycle bin along with the other 500 tons of paper from the school.

Don't be so quick to judge a teacher when you think they screwed up. Imagine having 100 children in the same bedroom at some point in the day. They all leave something there, then YOUR child ask you where her socks are. Good luck finding them.

Also, I am of the belief that students are responsible for their assignments. I will teach them the information, then give them an assignment, walk them through part of the assignment, and give them a due date. Once they have the assignment is it their duty to find time to ask me for help. I don't walk around the classroom to make sure they are on task or to make sure they are doing their work. They know the consequences to not turning in assignments already. Does your boss stand over your shoulder all day making sure you stay on task.

Like I tell my students. : "I always need someone skilled enough to flip hamburgers. Hope I don't see you when I want a #1 w/mustard."
                          Last edited by dhillis; 06-09-2009, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Encinal,

I see nothing wrong with my previous post? If I feel that my child is being abused then I would be the first in line to solve the problem.

Gilbert,

Absolute Power? I think not!!

I have been in the education profession for many years as a Teacher/Coach and I take great pride in watching the children of our future grow into productive Americans. I am in the profession that I love and would do anything to benefit a child in my care.

Coach_Stew,

Great Post!!!

Comment

You said that you could not envision a scenario where you would take a child's word over a teachers... I gave you one...
                              Last edited by Encinal; 06-09-2009, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Encinal,

No dad... the nurse here at the home says that he isn't beating you... you should lie less.

I might be wrong but does this have anything to do with a student?

The bottom line is some parents can't handle little Johnny NOT being perfect so they look for fault with the teacher, admin. etc. As far as the admin. taking up for the teachers would you be in a job that you had no support from your superiors? I think not!!

Comment

Working...
                                X