Which Lacy Dog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Lacy Dog?

I currently have a 6 month old female lab that I am working with for blood trails and retrieving. We are looking into getting her a companion/cohort for trailing. My lab is gonna be a big girl. Vet is estimating she'll finish out around 80lbs. Almost twice the size of my last lab. I was initially leaning toward a stouter Lacy dog that could handle his own when they get to rough housing. That was a short lived thought.

I am now leaning more toward a smaller, leaner Lacy for trailing and baying a wounded deer. I know temperament goes way farther than first flush physical characteristics, but this is my first Lacy dog and thought it would be fun to see which one of the three TBH folks would choose.

These are the 3 finalists from the litter. We have first pick.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

The one on the left.

Congrats on getting a Lacy. I’ve loved mine. They can be excellent trackers and bay dogs.

Comment

I'd get the one in the center. He looks to be a little smaller at least at the moment. Mines 3 years old now. He was the runt of the litter. He's a really stout 50 lbs. now. Smartest dog I've ever owned ! And an excellent tracker, even when I steer him in the wrong direction.

Comment

One thing I have learned from choosing/raising pups. There is literally no way of knowing at that age! It's a crap shoot when choosing a pup at 6-8 weeks of age.

Comment

Center one put his nose down first. Pick him.

Comment

Put them all on the ground and see which one comes to you. Do that a couple times and see if you have one that consistently comes to you.

Comment

Originally posted by HOOKNBULLET2 View Post
              Put them all on the ground and see which one comes to you. Do that a couple times and see if you have one that consistently comes to you.
              This but just judging off the picture, the one on the left. He seems more intrigued by smells.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                The one on the left.

Congrats on getting a Lacy. I’ve loved mine. They can be excellent trackers and bay dogs.

Not sure why… maybe she looks more “gritty” but that was my very quick first pick.

Currently have my 7 year old male red lacy with a dang good nose piled up on the couch with me. My wife’s 15 year old female tri lacy (useless pet) somewhere looking for crumbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                  The one on the left.

That is the one I am leaning toward simply based on pictures.

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                  Center one put his nose down first. Pick him.
                  Interesting

Comment

Left one

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Comment

They look alike, don't know which one is better/worst.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat00 View Post
                        They look alike, don't know which one is better/worst.
                        Are you related to Tim?
                        Last edited by Fargus; 06-09-2023, 09:58 PM.

Comment

No help in choosing which pup, but I wouldn’t worry about the Lacy being able to hold his/her own with your Lab. I’ll take a 50 lb Lacy with speed, agility and tenacity over a 80 lb Lab any day. Your Lab will tire out before the Lacy even gets warmed up. Congrats on getting a Lacy and keep us posted how the two do together as they get older

Comment

I like the right one, has more of a Lacy look to it.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Comment

lol.

Male, female, nothing else matters?

I guess we have to pick entirely on color

We haven't owned a blue one in years, so the tri one gets their bowl filled with me.

Honestly, I care way more about what the parents "do" than I care about the sex or the color.

After that, I don't much care for male dogs, even fixed ones.

Comment

Working...
                              X