Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Trick question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
    I've asked this question already and never got an answer but since you bring it up I'll ask again. If the plane never moves forward what makes the wheels or conveyor turn at all. You're saying the plane doesn't move so the wheels can't turn. So the engines are at full thrust and the plane never moves and the wheels are not turning. Where does all the energy and force generated from the thrust go?

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
    It’s wasted energy. Just like this entire post.

Comment

Originally posted by Witchgrass View Post
      It’s wasted energy. Just like this entire post.
      The first, isn't wasted. The last, probably is.

Comment

Trick question

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
        I'll state this again.
        The wheels are not the propulsion for the plane. The engines will push those wheels and plane forward. The wheels and conveyor can turn in opposite directions all they want. The engines will move that plane forward regardless. The friction of the wheels against the conveyor will not prevent it. The wheels would turn and slide at the same time.

Lol not sure why you quoted me? I agree, except the situation is impossible.

Edit: I see what your saying. Theoretically if the wheels were “skidding” across the runway the plane would take off. But I would argue the question doesn’t account for skidding. Again. The planes thrust will allow the plane to takeoff no matter what the wheels are doing. But I don’t think the original question considers “skidding”

It is still a paradox because the moment of “skidding” cannot be calculated. And then you bring in friction as a variable. If the brakes were set and a plane tried to take it, it wouldn’t. The thrust couldn’t overcome the friction.

But again, in any realistic situation the plane would take off because the speed of the wheels have nothing to do with airspeed.
        Last edited by JustinJ; 06-08-2023, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
          Lol not sure why you quoted me? I agree, except the situation is impossible.

Edit: I see what your saying. Theoretically if the wheels were “skidding” across the runway the plane would take off. But I would argue the question doesn’t account for skidding. Again. The planes thrust will allow the plane to takeoff no matter what the wheels are doing. But I don’t think the original question considers “skidding”

It is still a paradox because the moment of “skidding” cannot be calculated. And then you bring in friction as a variable. If the brakes were set and a plane tried to take it, it wouldn’t. The thrust couldn’t overcome the friction.

But again, in any realistic situation the plane would take off because the speed of the wheels have nothing to do with airspeed.
          The question does not discount skidding.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post

If the brakes were set and a plane tried to take it, it wouldn’t. The thrust couldn’t overcome the friction.
            Depends on the plane. Any jet will burn the brakes off and she'll fly. Just dont retract the landing gear and put a fire in your belly

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Between this thread and the Alien deniers claiming the Earth is 6000 yrs old I'm at a loss. Lots of people with opinions and no smarts.

Comment

Originally posted by TxxAgg View Post
                Between this thread and the Alien deniers claiming the Earth is 6000 yrs old I'm at a loss. Lots of people with opinions and no smarts.
                Not sure of your position on either topic, but you may indeed be at a loss.

Comment

Working...
                X