Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many yards of mulch will fit into a 14' Trailer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need to pick up some mulch for our flower beds, normally had my lawn guy do this in the past, but this year my wife has decided SHE wants to do it...

So, I need around 10 yards based on his quote from previous years, this will also test to see how much he's been charging me vs how much he actually used...

The trailer is a standard single axle utility trailer with back ramp/gate that I use to haul my golf cart to the lease, etc.

Can I get it all in one trip? Only need to drive less than 7 miles home on a FM road.

How much? A lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Bags or bulk?

Comment

I don’t think 10yds will come close to fitting on that trailer. I think you won’t get more than 3-4yds.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
          I need to pick up some mulch for our flower beds, normally had my lawn guy do this in the past, but this year my wife has decided SHE wants to do it...

So, I need around 10 yards based on his quote from previous years, this will also test to see how much he's been charging me vs how much he actually used...

The trailer is a standard single axle utility trailer with back ramp/gate that I use to haul my golf cart to the lease, etc.

Can I get it all in one trip? Only need to drive less than 7 miles home on a FM road.
          I think a dump truck is 10 or 12 yards. That’s quite a bit for a trailer that size. I used to get 2 yards on my 10’ tandem axel and it was dang near full.

Comment

Depends on how high you stack it. Figure width, length, and depth and divide by 27 to get cubic yards.

When it runs out on the ground and your tires are flat you know you have too much.

Comment

Is your lawn man charging you for ten yards of mulch per year? That seems like a whole lot of mulch? Or perhaps you have very big flower beds.

Comment

It will fit, but it won’t move.

Comment

Ten yards is probably about 2-3 trailer loads worth.

A average pickup bed filled to the top rails is anywhere from 1.5 yards to maybe 2 yards max.

That’s a lot of weight though.

Comment

I’m thinking you can only haul 3 maybe 4 max

Better off putting one in the truck bed and 3 on the trailer

Comment

For reference. I usually get 3 in my 5x10 trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                        Ten yards is probably about 2-3 trailer loads worth.

A average pickup bed filled to the top rails is anywhere from 1.5 yards to maybe 2 yards max.

That’s a lot of weight though.
                        Yep, my 1/2 ton will fit around 1.5 yards of mulch

Comment

Think we get around 7-8 yards in out 16 ft dump trailer

Comment

3 on a 14ft, or 4 if you pile it up and tarp it.
                            4 on a 16ft if you don't pile it up,
                            4 on a 18ft, and 5 on a 20 and so on.
                            If the mulch is wet, it's gonna be heavy heavy and 3 yrds will probably be all you want.
                            The yard I use has 2 yrd bucket, but each scoop is piled up so you're actually getting close to 2.5 yrds.
                            2 scoops and my 18ft will be over the rails.
                            I've been to yards that don't even fill the bucket, and they use little Kubota tractors.
                            You'll get more for your money going to the bigger places, with the bigger loaders.
                            Might not get all the special blends some offer, but for bulk they are hard to beat.
                            You might also look at renting a dump trailer for the day.

Comment

You might also look at getting it delivered. I had to get 4 yards to fill the play area in the back yard and went back and forth 3-4 times with just the truck bed. I think I remember the guy quoting someone in front of me at the yard $80 flat rate delivery for something anything between 2-12 yards. Not bad considering it will save you time and multiple drives.

Comment

Working...
                              X