Clear All

Good job on the video. ��
    I have never been & have a trip scheduled for first week in August

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTK View Post

You better keep
      Your fingers crossed. August is a tough month to get out there with storms in the gulf.

I hope for your sake you get to go because I’ve been on the other end where it gets canceled and you have to wait an entire year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTK View Post
        Man there are some bull sharks out there in august. Be careful

Comment

good job on the video!

Comment

I can vouch for LOTS OF SHARKS and STINGRAYS at the Chandelleur's in Summer, the later the worse it is... A couple buddies and I used to float plane fish the islands in the early '80's and we'd fly the islands, find the biggest schools of fish we could then land and wear 'em out. During our flying, we'd pass over folks fishing and there would be NUMEROUS Jaws size sharks just crusing around them. The fishermen didn't have a clue! I'm talking 10+ footers and lots of them... Also, some of the islands in particular Little and Big Kurlew would have yuuuuge patches of sting rays some as big as the hood on your truck everywhere! We'd still fish those areas but tried to stay away from the big stingrays and where they were gathered. Buddy of mine stepped on one of those big suckers. It smooth flipped him up in the air when it took off, fortunately, it did not get him, but that put us on the bank and back to the plane... to go fish somewhere else!! If you don't like sharks or stingrays, you won't like the Islands!!

Comment

Geez, that’s some encouraging info. Lol
              Been fishing the coast all my life so used to being around some sharks & rays but probably not in the numbers you are speaking of. I got invited on this trip that was booked by someone else. Always dicey that time of year for storms but just have to make the best of it.
              Thanks for the comforting words.

Comment

I saw two pushing 8 foot in the surf and a dump truck load of 2-4s. Just part of it.

That said the closest I've been to one with any size while in the water was west matty

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Who did y’all go with and what were y’all catching them on? We have a group headed out Thursday. Any areas to check out? This will be my third trip, first with the new outfit we’re trying out.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                    excellent trip and thx for sharing. The CI's are truly special and a place where memories are made.

grew up in NOLA and fished the Chandeleur Islands dozens of times each summer during the 1980's. We'd even bring tents and sleep on the islands. My brother still fishes it once every few years and confirmed our favorite spots and campsites have long been gone.

Originally, the CI's consisted of over 11,000 acres in the 1850's. Today, approximately 1,000 acres exist. The State has millions set aside from the BP oil spill. Unfortunately, it would cost $500M plus to rebuild the islands.

the lighthouse was on the northern most point and our meeting spot ... early 1980's

after Hurricane Georges in 1998

pic from around 2004 ~ 2005 (pre-Katrina)

the lighthouse vanished after Katrina

pic of the islands from May 2022 ... 1 year ago

no telling how much longer they'll be in existence ... 5, 10, 20, 50 yrs ?? One day all we will have left is pictures and memories. I WILL fish the Chandeleurs again before I go to heaven.

The best thing the people of South Louisiana could do is restore those barrier islands.

Check out how the old school folks did it back in the day - 1975

OP, looks like ya'll had an awesome trip.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg7P3tPrhBQ&t=2s"]SPECKLED TROUT WADE FISHING WITH RUDY GRIGAR 1975 - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
                      the best thing the people of south louisiana could do is knock down the levies and restore the ms river to its natural delta, which in turn would restore the marsh and those barrier islands.
                      fify

Comment

Jacque Cousteau named the Chandeleur islands one of the sharkiest places in the world.

Biggest shark I saw there was about 7’ and we were in thigh deep water.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                          Jacque Cousteau named the Chandeleur islands one of the sharkiest places in the world.

Biggest shark I saw there was about 7’ and we were in thigh deep water.

Plenty 10fters out there. Bulls and lemons

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                            Plenty 10fters out there. Bulls and lemons

I’m certain the big come that came towards me was a bull and dang was he fast. While he was making a bee line for me I pulled my pocket knife out of my pocket. I was gonna stab that SOB.

Comment

There is a smaller but near identical set of those islands west of the river. South of cocodrie. I have seen 20 acres of reds out there . All of them huge.

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
                                The best thing the people of South Louisiana could do is restore those barrier islands.

Check out how the old school folks did it back in the day - 1975

OP, looks like ya'll had an awesome trip.

SPECKLED TROUT WADE FISHING WITH RUDY GRIGAR 1975 - YouTube
                                Made a couple of trips with Rudy. Memories for a lifetime.
                                Remember his ole dog yakapoo that stayed on the boat with him.

Comment

Working...
                                X