Elbow Pain When Drawing Back Bow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elbow Pain When Drawing Back Bow

It sucks getting old, but its better than the alternative! When I draw back my bow (right hand, 70 lbs) I get a sharp pain in my left elbow until I get over the hump. Anyone deal with this before? I'm going on 3 weeks since shooting it and I've turned the poundage down some right after the last time I shot it but decided to rest my elbow for a while before trying it again. I really like the bow and don't want to get rid of it but I'm afraid I might have to go to a lighter DW bow.

Originally posted by highspeed View Post
    It sucks getting old, but its better than the alternative! When I draw back my bow (right hand, 70 lbs) I get a sharp pain in my left elbow until I get over the hump. Anyone deal with this before? I'm going on 3 weeks since shooting it and I've turned the poundage down some right after the last time I shot it but decided to rest my elbow for a while before trying it again. I really like the bow and don't want to get rid of it but I'm afraid I might have to go to a lighter DW bow.
    Yes Sir-every time I draw and if I have to let down it’s worse! I changed everything up last year, dropped my poundage to 55, practiced a different draw and gradually got back to 60 lbs and very comfortable in all aspects. I can still feel it but it is much more manageable. I took my Mathews SBXT in to have a splintered limb replaced and tried out 6 different bows in which I should have never been able to do with my afflictions but these new bows are so much easier on the body- they are faster so less poundage is needed. I’m at a very comfortable 62 lbs now with a straight back draw.

Also, in my humble opinion, if a person has to elevate the riser of a hunting bow up and pull down through the draw cycle then they are pulling too much poundage to start with. I see this in people all of the time, it looks like they are going to blow veins outta their face lol, but seriously, that is not a laughing matter. When busted up people like us are looking at New bows we need to focus on how it feels to let off more than being able to draw back because that is where it’s going to hurt us and do more damage over time or in an instant.
    Last edited by Bucknaked; 04-06-2023, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
      Yes Sir-every time I draw and if I have to let down it’s worse! I changed everything up last year, dropped my poundage to 55, practiced a different draw and gradually got back to 60 lbs and very comfortable in all aspects. I can still feel it but it is much more manageable. I took my Mathews SBXT in to have a splintered limb replaced and tried out 6 different bows in which I should have never been able to do with my afflictions but these new bows are so much easier on the body- they are faster so less poundage is needed. I’m at a very comfortable 62 lbs now with a straight back draw.
      X2. Modern bows are designed for old bodies.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
        Pretty much the same for me when I bought my V3X 29 a year ago on January. I have an old injury to my left shoulder that I never did anything about and the left elbow was also hurting.

Dropped to 60 lb mods on the new bow and exercise both arms with a nifty resistance band archery type trainer I found on Amazon a few years ago and it doesn’t really cause a problem any more.

That should be a link to the trainer I have and it really does help. Do yourself a favor if you get one though and wear gloves when you use it. Lightweight gloves work fine but those bands will do a number in your fingers with regular use without gloves.

Comment

Thanks for the replies fellas. I have the trainer on order and should get in a couple of days. My elbow has been feeling fine and I’m tempted to try it out but I’ll wait to get the trainer in.

Comment

Originally posted by highspeed View Post
            Yes, I came down with the same exact ailment three years ago. At first, I thought it was an injury, but I only felt it when I drew the bow back. After taking several months off from shooting, and then firing the first 10-12 arrows of the new season, that pain starts up once again. Same cycle for the past three years, so I assume that it’s not going to heal or go away, what ever it is. I believe it could be what’s called ‘golfer’s elbow’. Ice, ibuprofen, rest, constriction band, etc are recommended. I’ve tried them all, to no real avail. I dropped the poundage from 68 to 62, and don’t shoot as much. I can now avoid excruciating pain. My elbow pain is in the inside, not the outside, by the way. If you get that trainer, please let us know if that makes a difference.

Comment

Same problem only opposite arm since I’m a lefty. Turned the dw down 2# and after couple of weeks of light shooting, it is all good now.

Comment

I use a cheap elbow brace when shooting.

Comment

I went from 70 lbs to 60 lbs bow 4 or 5 years ago. Now I am turning down that bow. sucks getting old.

Comment

It was a natural progression for lighter bows due to old injuries. I shoot both traditional and compounds. In my 40's I shot 80#. Now at 59. I see no reason to go above 60 for my compound and 40's for the longbows. It's all about a sharp broadhead, heavy well tuned arrows and putting it in the right spot. With old age also comes wisdom!

Sent from my SM-J260AZ using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by muddydog View Post
                      It was a natural progression for lighter bows due to old injuries. I shoot both traditional and compounds. In my 40's I shot 80#. Now at 59. I see no reason to go above 60 for my compound and 40's for the longbows. It's all about a sharp broadhead, heavy well tuned arrows and putting it in the right spot. With old age also comes wisdom!

Sent from my SM-J260AZ using Tapatalk
                      And don’t forget S T E A L T H!

Comment

Working...
                      X