RV Storage questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RV Storage questions

Are RV storage lots profitable like storage units? Anyone do this and have any pointers. Seems like this would be very similar and more hands off. Looks like people are paying minimum $200 per month just to have a covered spot to park an RV. Thinking of building one and cant decide if I want storage units and RV or just RV parking. What do you need to get this working starting with RV only.
    Land obviously, the metal buildings, electrical at each spot, paved with good turning radius. Nice perimeter fence, gate and security cameras.
    Surely there has to be a lot more to this than I am thinking? Apprciate all the pointers and jokes I have set myself up for.

Originally posted by bsills View Post
    Are RV storage lots profitable like storage units? Anyone do this and have any pointers. Seems like this would be very similar and more hands off. Looks like people are paying minimum $200 per month just to have a covered spot to park an RV. Thinking of building one and cant decide if I want storage units and RV or just RV parking. What do you need to get this working starting with RV only.
    Land obviously, the metal buildings, electrical at each spot, paved with good turning radius. Nice perimeter fence, gate and security cameras.
    Surely there has to be a lot more to this than I am thinking? Apprciate all the pointers and jokes I have set myself up for.
    Ours has power and a rv wash station with water, hose real, and nozzle just for a little added bonus. We are paying $120. I have seen some that are $200 but those are usually enclosed.

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
      Ours has power and a rv wash station with water, hose real, and nozzle just for a little added bonus. We are paying $120. I have seen some that are $200 but those are usually enclosed.
      Thanks, wash station is a great idea. Anyone else doing this, either own a long term RV storage facility or if you are and RV owner and use one what features do you like.

Comment

I pay $200 for a covered 50’ spot. Has electricity.

I talked to the owner. The cost of steel is making it prohibitive for him to expand. Quite an investment. His spots are too tight to let down the steps. (two units per bay). I don’t like that.

I was surprised at what he said the cost to build another 20 spot building.

Comment

This place just opened down HWY 46 from you close to New Braunfels.

Toy Box Ranch Storage is located at 10000 Hwy 46 West in New Braunfels, TX. Indoor and outdoor parking for RVs, cars, boats, trailers, and other toys. Rent your unit online and start storing today!

I stopped and spoke to the owner. He was $415/month for a 12x40 IIRC.

I am interested in building one myself. I have spoken with a few owners over the years.

All say that finding the property and getting it zoned is the hardest part.

Once you build it, they will come.

Not sure if the “economic apocalypse” many are predicting will hurt that market or not.

If people stop making payments on their boats/RV’s that they have stored at your place, what happens next? The bank holds the note. The bank pays you the back storage fees and you release the boat/RV to them?

I’m well capitalized and serious about building or buying one if you’re looking for a partner.

Comment

To add to the security cameras. Enclosed units having sensors, so if the unit is opened without using the security code at the front gate via keypad, an alarm sounds outside the main office (loud enough to wake the dead) and sends a text to the manager's cell phone. Every enclosed space has a sensor, big or small. This made my choice for me, just a thought!

Comment

I’m working on one now in San Marcos. Starting out with 6 covered spots and 100 open air. (uncovered). I’m waiting to see if material prices fall before adding more covered parking. If I can fill the uncovered spots, I may not add more covered. If I didn’t live on the place Id be targeting truck storage. I may turn to this but will try the RVer's and general storage first. Per spot the trucks are more profitable, but you deal with them coming and going every day. My Dad has his motorhome in a very upper end place with Cameras, on site owners ect ect. The majority of the motorhomes had the catalytic converters cut of a few months back. Thieves are hard to stop if determined. From my research there are just as many in uncovered as covered.

Comment

Hard to believe people will pay $415 a month.

Comment

I wonder you could get a government kick back buy putting solar panels on the roof?
                  Solar farm and rv storage!

Comment

Originally posted by k-k View Post
                    I wonder you could get a government kick back buy putting solar panels on the roof?
                    Solar farm and rv storage!
                    Great idea.

Comment

I built a 16x40 fully covered RV cover onto my shop in 2017, then sold my camper when we moved into our new house. Looks like I should be renting out that space with the high cost of RV storage. I could move my Kubota behind the shop and still be covered. $$$

Comment

I built and owned a storage facility a few years ago. You will have a better ROI on uncovered storage. But you will want to diversify with some covered. Building prices make enclosed hard to justify now. Theft is the biggest problem. You will not stop it, only slow it down. Do not do 24 hr because you cannot differentiate between a thief or tenant in the middle of the night if your alarm goes off. You need a lot of capital and land or else the bank makes all the $ with interest rates.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys.
                          Hooknbullet2 I’ll send you a pm

Comment

I believe if you were able to add a dump station it would be a big bonus to the customers.

Comment

Working...
                            X