2023 RV/Camping Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2023 RV/Camping Thread

So far, I’ve only been posting the spots we stayed, but I’ve got to share this part of our trip.
    Today we rented a Can Am whatever wiz bang 9000 turbo and drove it through the Roosevelt national Forest.
    The rental place had us tow it with a jeep grand Cherokee. This vehicle had no tow mode therefore was hunting, gears the whole way up and down the hour trip to the launch spot, I felt bad for it.
    Makes a good argument for not buying used.
    Same with the 2023 Can-Am with 2900 miles on it already. Those were some hard miles If they were all from the same trails we went on today. These trails were rough to say the least - lotsa pot holes and rocks. It was bad. The front suspension sounded like it was due for ball joints. Luckily they didn’t fly out while we were on the trail.

I feel sorry for whoever buys these vehicles used. All miles are hard miles, including the jeep fleet they had on hand.

We had a blast though and hopefully I didn’t donate my hunting binoculars as we currently cannot find them and think I left them in the side-by-side. I’ll swing by there tomorrow and see if they are still in the buggy. If not, I’ll be in need of one of them Tbh “deal alert” deals for a replacement pair.

Here’s the buggy and sacrificial tow vehicle-

On a final note. The turbo power in these rigs is a hoot. I’d get myself in trouble with one of these no doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DaveC; 05-25-2023, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Very cool thread, and great to follow everyone's travels. We'll be home in July and headed to Pennsylvania for a year as the next stop. Wife has already mandated that we're aiming the travel trailer towards New England to catch this year's fall foliage... very likely New Hampshire or Vermont (of course, we're open to suggestions). I'd also like to camp near the Blue Ridge Parkway one of these days, too.

Safe travels, y'all.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
        So far, I’ve only been posting the spots we stayed, but I’ve got to share this part of our trip.
        Today we rented a Can Am whatever wiz bang 9000 turbo and drove it through the Roosevelt national Forest.
        The rental place had us tow it with a jeep grand Cherokee. This vehicle had no tow mode therefore was hunting, gears the whole way up and down the hour trip to the launch spot, I felt bad for it.
        Makes a good argument for not buying used.
        Same with the 2023 Can-Am with 2900 miles on it already. Those were some hard miles If they were all from the same trails we went on today. These trails were rough to say the least - lotsa pot holes and rocks. It was bad. The front suspension sounded like it was due for ball joints. Luckily they didn’t fly out while we were on the trail.

I feel sorry for whoever buys these vehicles used. All miles are hard miles, including the jeep fleet they had on hand.

We had a blast though and hopefully I didn’t donate my hunting binoculars as we currently cannot find them and think I left them in the side-by-side. I’ll swing by there tomorrow and see if they are still in the buggy. If not, I’ll be in need of one of them Tbh “deal alert” deals for a replacement pair.

Here’s the buggy and sacrificial tow vehicle-

On a final note. The turbo power in these rigs is a hoot. I’d get myself in trouble with one of these no doubt.

Very cool, I rented those in Sedona last year. Really fun, a lot different than driving the ranger to the feeder loaded down with cord.

Comment

We left for Alabama at midnight Friday night, got here about 11AM. It’s worth it to me for everyone to be sleeping while I’m driving, otherwise it would take two days to get here. It’s a 700 mile trip. I put new tires, brakes, and bearings all the way around before we left for peace of mind.

This is home for the week. Coolest campsite we’ve ever had. Boat slip is 20ft from my camper, private spot we got lucky to find.

Comment

We spent most of the last week in the TV. Started in Biloxi, MS then hit the Lafayette KOA Holliday in Scott, LA. This is our 3rd time in the park and we love it! Plenty shady, putt putt on site, 2 pools, a fishing lake with paddle boats, game room etc.

They also have different events often such as gumbo cook offs that anyone in the park can enjoy and sample from.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
              We spent most of the last week in the TV. Started in Biloxi, MS then hit the Lafayette KOA Holliday in Scott, LA. This is our 3rd time in the park and we love it! Plenty shady, putt putt on site, 2 pools, a fishing lake with paddle boats, game room etc.

They also have different events often such as gumbo cook offs that anyone in the park can enjoy and sample from.

That sounds like my jam!

We’re at the East OKC KOA Holliday for a baseball tourney, but it’s a great little park for Oklahoma City.

Comment

We found the elusive Alabama Saltwater Red Bream.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunterhelm View Post
                  We left for Alabama at midnight Friday night, got here about 11AM. It’s worth it to me for everyone to be sleeping while I’m driving, otherwise it would take two days to get here. It’s a 700 mile trip. I put new tires, brakes, and bearings all the way around before we left for peace of mind.

This is home for the week. Coolest campsite we’ve ever had. Boat slip is 20ft from my camper, private spot we got lucky to find.

Man what a set up & congrats on the snapper!

Comment

Sounds like a great KOA, I need to add it to the list.

The KOA I am currently sitting in is a gravel parking lot in Raton New Mexico. If KOA is trying to keep a good reputation for nice parks, this one isn’t helping at all.
                    It gets the job done, and the price is right but we were kind of shocked when we pulled in. It’s not picture worthy.

The previous stop on our way back was in Larimer County, Carter Lake Park in Colorado. Evidently a local hang out. We were accidentally wedged between two family reunions …..we bailed a day early.
                    Only electric at that place.

Comment

Just now realizing the KOA Holiday is a cut above the average KOA .
                      See there lotsa learning to be done from this thread. [emoji1303]
                      (Of course my wife already knew this [emoji51])

Comment

I’m an insomniac, to start with, so I’m standing out by a weak fire polishing off a drink when an older gentleman walked up behind me asking for help finding his spot. We got that sorted, and come to find out he and his wife are headed from Arizona to Chicago and got stuck in traffic today. I hooked up his sewer/water/power, for him, and he tried to tip me!

I’ve met a ton of good folks at rv parks over the years, but Harry and Linda may take the cake.[emoji23]

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
                          Just now realizing the KOA Holiday is a cut above the average KOA .
                          See there lotsa learning to be done from this thread. [emoji1303]
                          (Of course my wife already knew this [emoji51])

There are actually 3 levels of KOA.

Meet KOA Journeys, KOA Holidays and KOA Resorts – three helpful ways for you to find just the right KOA for your family’s next adventure.

Comment

There are actually 3 levels of KOA.

https://koa.com/blog/now-there-are-3...-want-to-camp/

Interesting. Never knew this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Planning our summer trip. Leaving Elgin Texas to Florida with stops on the way. Recommendations please along the coastline and then Iguana hunting. Getting a bigger fuel tank on truck to pull our 2023 Forest River Sierra 3440BH. Our first fifth wheel.

Comment

Just spotted this masterpiece outside of Amarillo.
                                You can’t see it from the picture, but the triple axles for the trailer were lifted as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X