Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Removing paint from brick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m guessing the brick color was ugly as to why the previous owner painted it.

I would get with the HOA and asked what they would want a person to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’d work with the hoa to make it look like frosted brick as mentioned above.

Comment

I once removed white paint from a brick fireplace & wall using paint stripper. It took a few applications, but it looked great when I was done. Would have been MUCH easier outside: apply paint stripper then pressure wash. Repeat a couple of times. You could test this in a small area pretty easily to see if it works for you. It will take some work, but that's true of everything worth doing.

I also considered dry ice blasting, but didn't seem practical for an inside project. Look this up, lots of YouTube videos showing paint removal from brick with dry ice blasting.

Comment

Years ago, I was chairman of a committee that oversaw the maintenance and upkeep of a historic house in the university area. At some point, previous members of this committee decided to paint this all brick house, much to the detriment of the house as well
          As the neighborhood.

I did some research into having the paint removed and was told that sandblasting the house would the only way to completely remove the paint from the brick. HOWEVER, if we decided to go this route, we would likely end up degrading the mortar so badly that the integrity of the brick would be severely compromised. Further, we were told that the lengths the sandblasting contractor would have to go to “drape” the house in order to avoid damaging neighboring houses, as well as cars and other structures, would factor significantly into the cost which, as I recall, was incredibly prohibitive.

This was probably 35 years ago when I was involved in this and, to this day, I get calls from new members of this committee who would like to restore the brick to its original “exposed” finish. The house is still painted so I expect there have been no newer or better methodologies to address this issue.

People who paint over brick (or rock) are a special kind of evil.

Comment

Originally posted by mmurphey View Post
            I once removed white paint from a brick fireplace & wall using paint stripper. It took a few applications, but it looked great when I was done. Would have been MUCH easier outside: apply paint stripper then pressure wash. Repeat a couple of times. You could test this in a small area pretty easily to see if it works for you. It will take some work, but that's true of everything worth doing.

I also considered dry ice blasting, but didn't seem practical for an inside project. Look this up, lots of YouTube videos showing paint removal from brick with dry ice blasting.

2 story, 3000sq ft home.

Comment

2 recommendations from me. 6-9" angle grinder with a coarse grit will be my recommendation. Leave the paint covering the mortar. It will look wicked cool! Not sure if you'll need to reseal the brick after paint removal. Could also apply paint stripper with small hand sprayer and then pressure wash after application.

Comment

Also keep in mind that any chemical stripper you use is going to run down the wall with removed paint.

If you end up buying this house, shoot me a PM, and I will reach out to some folks who have more experience with this than I do.

Comment

Looking back at your original post, I see you are still just looking. So I’ll try to offer a little better advice, but please keep in mind that there are inumerable variables.

Everything is a guess, not knowing the brick, the paint, the age, and how much of the house is brick.

I would plan for repairs to start at $15k, and I would think that would be the minimum, unless repainting a different color is an option. It could easily get to $30k, depending what is required.

Anything capable of taking paint off of brick, will warrant sealing the brick afterward. It may not be necessary, but I would not do otherwise. Sealing is not terribly difficult or expensive, but it’s a factor. I would spray on a breathable siloxane sealer like diedrich 303s.

HOAs are a huge X factor, they are mostly run by idiots and busybodies. I’d try to pin them down on a process, an expectation of appearance, or expense cap, ahead of time. Any may prove difficult to get done, but the process of trying may glean you some knowledge if nothing else.

A consult with a real estate attorney may also be worthwhile in determining what is/is not required, in pursuit of satisfying the HOA, and what powers they really have.

Consider that changing the overall color of the brick may also require repainting the trim/siding, to satisfy the HOA, or the Mrs.

Comment

The best and maybe the cheapest route is going to be stucco over the brick, if the Deed Restrictions are ok with "Stucco".

If you or your wife "Love" the house, i'd factor in an offer with the cost of completely re-bricking the house. Hell, the bank that owns the house may find a sucker, but it doesn't have to be you.

Comment

I’m not a “stucco” expert, but i doubt they can/will apply it to painted brick due to adhesion issues. I don’t know that to be fact, but real stucco requires a certain amount of absorption that I’m not sure you can get over paint. There could be a synthetic option that will adhere, but as mentioned, you’ll have to get that by the HOA nazis as well.

Comment

I would not even attempt that project.. It will be a major PITA at best and it will only get worse from there..
                        That sounds like a fun HOA.. I'd find another house.

Comment

Maybe Sand blast ...But might be costly

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                            I’m not a “stucco” expert, but i doubt they can/will apply it to painted brick due to adhesion issues. I don’t know that to be fact, but real stucco requires a certain amount of absorption that I’m not sure you can get over paint. There could be a synthetic option that will adhere, but as mentioned, you’ll have to get that by the HOA nazis as well.

They would most likely attach a lathe to the brick and then apply stucco, will not be a cheap fix.

Comment

I'm no expert, but getting all the paint off will be extremely difficult and labor intensive, and will likely only expose some crappy ugly brick beneath.

Stucco over is probably the best cheapest option, if allowable. They could probably do a chemical strip on the paint first to improve adhesion without worrying about how it looks.

Honestly might be a better option just to replace the brick, assuming it is a typical veneer and not structural. You know what you are getting with this route, and can even pick what you want.

Comment

Thanks for all the info. Still gathering info, but it looks like the HOA approved lime washing, and the owners just decided to paint it..... so I guess an option is to remove paint and then lime wash over to cover up any damage caused from removing the paint.

The house was built in early 2000s and per Google Street images the brick looks in good shape, and based on the year built shouldn't have to many issues as long as significant damage isn't caused by removing the paint.

Pretty much the entire house is brick, so yes it will be a significant job and money to replace. The house already has other problems that will need to be fixed.

We don't mind the problems if we can get the house at a price that reflects the problems that will need to be corrected.

Comment

Working...
                                X