Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big azz gar!!

Comment

Is that Buffalo as big as it looks in the picture? Thing looks like it weighs 8 lbs or better. I had no idea y’all used bait that big

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
        I saw an article where a client of kirk Kirkland caught one this week almost exactly the size of yours with a certified weight of 251lb.
        How is this possible? The only things I can think of is that 1) ours had been out of the water for a long time before we weighed, and 2) our weighing system was a little makeshift, so there could have been errors there... I still wouldn't think there would be a 44lb difference between those though.

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
          Is that Buffalo as big as it looks in the picture? Thing looks like it weighs 8 lbs or better. I had no idea y’all used bait that big
          The bigger the bait the bigger the fish

Comment

Originally posted by TXfisher37 View Post
            How is this possible? The only things I can think of is that 1) ours had been out of the water for a long time before we weighed, and 2) our weighing system was a little makeshift, so there could have been errors there... I still wouldn't think there would be a 44lb difference between those though.
            I don't know . I have weighed 5 that were longer and more girth than the world record but they weighed less. Weird. I guessed the fish in this thread at 235 and I have weighed thousands of them.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
              I saw an article where a client of kirk Kirkland caught one this week almost exactly the size of yours with a certified weight of 251lb.
              Originally posted by Canoe1 View Post
              I saw that, it was a bit bigger in girth, but only like 0.5” longer
              From the pictures it sure doesn't look 90" long Not even close. But it does appear fatter. Any good pictures of them measuring it?

Garguy - I know you know what you're doing, no question there. I just think without pictures or TPWD doing the weighing I think a lot of these "records" are BS. It's not hard to take a good picture next to a tape. You have 3 days to do it. Heck we did it and still released the fish. And if you take it in to TPWD it's pretty much set in stone that it's done correctly. You'd think a guide would take the time to do that (I have no idea what this guide did yet)

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
              More like 13-14 pounds LOL We wanted to keep it alive for cut bait so figured we'd put it out as live bait in the meantime. When you see a 19" blue cat eat a 11" gasper goo you realize a big cat or gar could easily eat a big buffalo.
              Last edited by RiverRat1; 04-22-2023, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Sure enjoyed following along. Really liked looking at the final tally on the board.

In about 1978, I caught a 7'3 in the Trinity River on rod and reel with a big chunk of Buffalo out of Holiday Lake Estates. We didn't measure the girth... I'll see if I can find the polaroid pic of me with it in the bed of an old El Ranchero. Is a great memory. We didn't have a gaff, rope, or anything to land it. We got in the water and drug it up on the sand bar. Surprised with didn't get cut up. Dumb kids!
                Lesto!!

Comment

Working...
                X