No announcement yet.

Official 2023 Houston Astros season thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And then let the guy bat for himself in the 9th, while he proceeds to strike out. Brilliant.

Before anyone asks who should have batted for him, here’s your answer: Not Kessinger.

That’s who should’ve hit for him.
    Last edited by Twist; 08-13-2023, 03:12 PM. Reason: Tried to instantly, forum software wasn’t having it.

Comment

I guess Pena needed to rest the entire game. Who doesn't rest 24 year olds?

Why bring in Montero in a close game today and use Neris last night in a blowout? I swear I think I am taking bath salts.

Comment

I’m thinking it’s not you.

Comment

Originally posted by GroceryGetter View Post
          I guess Pena needed to rest the entire game. Who doesn't rest 24 year olds?

Why bring in Montero in a close game today and use Neris last night in a blowout? I swear I think I am taking bath salts.
          Now that’s funny!

Comment

so no Diaz in the lineup again today, smh. I do love him moving Tucker into the 2-hole though. think thats where he shouldve been htting all along. Unfortunately, not a lot of protection for Alvarez now, with McCormick behind him. I'd love to see Yainer in the 5 hole.

Comment

Originally posted by mr. buck View Post
              so no Diaz in the lineup again today, smh. I do love him moving Tucker into the 2-hole though. think thats where he shouldve been htting all along. Unfortunately, not a lot of protection for Alvarez now, with McCormick behind him. I'd love to see Yainer in the 5 hole.
              NOT shocking... DUSTY being Dusty

Comment

Originally posted by mr. buck View Post
                Look at McCormick's numbers. He has been a better hitter than Yainer and Bregman this year.

Comment

Saw a rating on Twitter this morning that said Dusty was the 3rd best active manager in the MLB.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post

Look at McCormick's numbers. He has been a better hitter than Yainer and Bregman this year.
                    Their numbers are pretty comparable, with the exception of OPS and stolen bases. They’re two different players and McCormick’s speed can be attributed to bumps in both of those stats.

That said, while you could feasibly ask Chad to play 1B in a rare situation, you’re probably not going to ask that guy to catch. Yainer isn’t an idea outfielder sure, but I bet he could play some left field.

Regardless, both of those bats need to be in the lineup pretty much every day

Comment

Originally posted by Twist View Post

Their numbers are pretty comparable, with the exception of OPS and stolen bases. They’re two different players and McCormick’s speed can be attributed to bumps in both of those stats.

That said, while you could feasibly ask Chad to play 1B in a rare situation, you’re probably not going to ask that guy to catch. Yainer isn’t an idea outfielder sure, but I bet who could play some left field.

Regardless, both of those bats need to be in the lineup pretty much every day
                      I totally agree they need to be in the lineup everyday. I just don't see any reason you would bat Yainer in front of Chas. If you look at advanced rate stats like OPS+ or wRC+ then it isn't even close. Chas has been 45% better than league average where Yainer has been about 16% better than league average.

Comment

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post
                        Saw a rating on Twitter this morning that said Dusty was the 3rd best active manager in the MLB.
                        While that might be true speaking from a statistical standpoint only, it ends right there. They lost that game 2-1 after winning the first two games of the series.

He had not one, not two, but three players in the starting lineup yesterday that are all hitting sub .180 on the year. The best thing that can be said about the collective of those three guys is that Maldonado can at least call a game and is still above average defensively.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post

I totally agree they need to be in the lineup everyday. I just don't see any reason you would bat Yainer in front of Chas. If you look at advanced rate stats like OPS+ or wRC+ then it isn't even close. Chas has been 45% better than league average where Yainer has been about 16% better than league average.
                          I don’t disagree with that at all. With the speed Chas has, I’d absolutely bat him in front of Yainer. Their actual power numbers are very similar and even if McCormick reaches via walk or a single, he still has the ability to swipe 2nd.

It just bugs the crap out of me that Dusty keeps throwing Singleton on 1B. Yes, I’m aware he had a two home run game last week but as I mentioned earlier in the thread, I’m pretty sure those are the only two actual base hits he’s had since he’s been back.

What was that saying on White Men Can’t Jump? Something like “Sun shines on a dog’s *** every now and then”?

That’s Singleton. That guy should not be an everyday player.

Comment

1. Jose Altuve (R) 2B
                            2. Kyle Tucker (L) RF
                            3. Alex Bregman (R) 3B
                            4. Yordan Alvarez (L) DH
                            5. Chas McCormick (R) LF
                            6. Jon Singleton (L) 1B
                            7. Jeremy Pena (R) SS
                            8. Jake Meyers (R) CF
                            9. Martin Maldonado (R) C
                            There ya go for the Monday Miami game. ​Hard to believe to they haven't visited Miami since 2017.

Comment

Imo, this is a perfect time to see if Singleton can play with Abreu out. Abreu was obviously not getting it done and if Jon does, I think Abreu will play a lot less this year. Singleton is not Diaz’s problem, catching Maldy everyday is Diaz’s problem. Singleton does have one other hit and has some walks. I say give him at least another week to see what he can do. Diaz needs more dh opportunities too. I mean tonight’s lineup as an example, Chas should be in center and Alvarez in lf and Diaz should be the dh. I love Meyers, but he shouldn’t be playing instead of Diaz. Hopefully Meyers will hit a couple bombs tonight

Comment

Originally posted by zztex View Post
                                Imo, this is a perfect time to see if Singleton can play with Abreu out. Abreu was obviously not getting it done and if Jon does, I think Abreu will play a lot less this year. Singleton is not Diaz’s problem, catching Maldy everyday is Diaz’s problem. Singleton does have one other hit and has some walks. I say give him at least another week to see what he can do. Diaz needs more dh opportunities too. I mean tonight’s lineup as an example, Chas should be in center and Alvarez in lf and Diaz should be the dh. I love Meyers, but he shouldn’t be playing instead of Diaz. Hopefully Meyers will hit a couple bombs tonight
                                If you ask Dusty Baker Jr. why Diaz isn't in the lineup he will snap back that Diaz doesn't hit lefties. Whatever. No sense praying to the baseball deity that Diaz gets in the lineup 80% of the time because it is not happening.

As for Abreu. Good gravy. It seems that he lost every fast twitch muscle in his body this year. Let Singleton have at it for a a good clip and see if he can build some momentum.

Why do I feel like Maldonado hits a screaming bomb today?

Comment

Working...
                                X