Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• glen
    replied
    I’m about to turn 150 on my F250 and called to drop it off next week. Figure I’ll try what they recommend

Leave a comment:

• Duckologist
    replied
    Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
    I change fluid and filter per the manual. I never flush it. That is asking for trouble, especially past 150k.
    How do you get the old fluid out of the torque converter? I had over 150k when I began to get "the shudder". Had dealer flush tranny and no shudder sense. Now at 190k. Ford 6 speed transmission

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• cva34
    replied
    transmission

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
    I change fluid and filter per the manual. I never flush it. That is asking for trouble, especially past 150k.
    Agree and then if ya got a gripe/problem..Might have a chance that will fix...

Leave a comment:

• SC-001
    replied
    Originally posted by jjaimes View Post
    Never change it! We’ve changed if on 2 trucks and within 3 months both Transmissions went out. I spoke to a good friend who’s used to work in a used car dealership and he warned against this. He said it never failed every time they changed it within months they brought them back with transmission problems. I wouldn’t do it.
    Then they didn't do it right, there are some special procedures you need to take to get it to pick all the new fluid up, especially with these new 8 speed and up transmissions. The ones that fail shortly after change are almost always short filled. Have always changed fluid 5K before recommened interval and any of these new transmission that say they will last lifetime of the vehicle I change those at 100K.

Leave a comment:

• Rubi513
    replied
    Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
    I have been seeing talk about the 10 speed also! My truck is a 21 at4 1500 and I have 18k with no issues ‘Yet’ ! I have said it many times but I don’t trust my truck and every time I get into it I’m just knowing something is going to happen with either the motor or tranny. I did good on my purchase as far as paying under invoice but I’m going to watch the market this year and try to get into another diesel 3/4 ton truck. I’ll take a hit but I can not stay in this vehicle! I don’t know how all of these General Motors loving nuts still support them. Sorry nuts
    Tried the half ton thing for 23k miles. Wasn’t for me. Thought about a tundra, but they went v6 turbo and I was out again.

Leave a comment:

• Bucknaked
    replied
    Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
    my wife and I have driven nothing but ford for 25 years and we run them high miles (my truck has 179k, wife’s Explorer 175k, daughters f150 185k ) never have I had a transmission issue on one ford

Now my buddy owns a fleet biz, over 250 fleet trucks and he said he can’t keep a transmission in a Chevy

I hear they are still having issues even with the collaborative transmission which tells me Chevy has other engineering issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I have been seeing talk about the 10 speed also! My truck is a 21 at4 1500 and I have 18k with no issues ‘Yet’ ! I have said it many times but I don’t trust my truck and every time I get into it I’m just knowing something is going to happen with either the motor or tranny. I did good on my purchase as far as paying under invoice but I’m going to watch the market this year and try to get into another diesel 3/4 ton truck. I’ll take a hit but I can not stay in this vehicle! I don’t know how all of these General Motors loving nuts still support them. Sorry nuts

Leave a comment:

• OldRiverRat
    replied
    I hold my nose erry time I get on the road in my 2 gm vehicles- Seriously! It’s a crying shame that Gm had to get Ford help them build a quality transmission!

Now back to normal maintenance intervals

my wife and I have driven nothing but ford for 25 years and we run them high miles (my truck has 179k, wife’s Explorer 175k, daughters f150 185k ) never have I had a transmission issue on one ford

Now my buddy owns a fleet biz, over 250 fleet trucks and he said he can’t keep a transmission in a Chevy

I hear they are still having issues even with the collaborative transmission which tells me Chevy has other engineering issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Leave a comment:

• DedDuk
    replied
    Once every torque converter.

Leave a comment:

• Greenheadless
    replied
    Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
    My 2019 High Country has the 10 speed and no dip stick. Since it was jointly developed by Ford and GM I hold my breath every time I put it in gear since it has Ford fingerprints all over it.
    If it is like the Ford tranny, the dipstick is down under, next to the transmission pan.

Leave a comment:

• TeamAmerica
    replied
    Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
    My 2019 High Country has the 10 speed and no dip stick. Since it was jointly developed by Ford and GM I hold my breath every time I put it in gear since it has Ford fingerprints all over it.
    Are you implying ford could design a worse trans than GM!!??

Leave a comment:

• Bucknaked
    replied
    Originally posted by justletmein View Post
    Knocking on wood is a Pagan ritual, something about forest spirits.
    Nailed It! Superstition

Leave a comment:

• friscopaint
    replied
    I have 165,000 on my 15 F250 and asked my mechanic and he said at this point definitely don't touch it, he was local Ford service manager at one time. As far as earlier mileage no idea....

Leave a comment:

• BIGTERRY75
    replied
    Change it when its scheduled by Manufacturer.

Leave a comment:

• Chase4556
    replied
    Originally posted by 100%TtId View Post
    What causes trans to fail after a flush?
    From what I’ve been told, there is buildup on the clutches and other internal workings of the transmission when it has high mileage. When you do a flush it breaks up some of that crud, plus the detergents in the new fluid further break it all down. Next thing you know you have slipping clutches and a bad transmission.

Something along those lines.

Leave a comment:

• justletmein
    replied
    Hmmm…. What does knocking on wood do?
    Knocking on wood is a Pagan ritual, something about forest spirits.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X