No announcement yet.

Pipe line right of ways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I constantly hear the comments made above from landowners too about the lines being deep. The issue is many lines nowadays have been in ground 50, 60 years or even more and they move alot over that amount of time. NEVER EVER assume you know how deep they are and markers are not required to be exactly over pipe. Some may be to side by couple feet or possible mismarked.

Comment

Wow that’s great to know. Do they ever just shut a line down and never use it again? If so do the notify landowners? What type of pressure do those lines typically hold?

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
        Wow that’s great to know. Do they ever just shut a line down and never use it again? If so do the notify landowners? What type of pressure do those lines typically hold?
        Yes, oil companies do abandon lines and that’s usually the last time they think about them. It costs them money to remove a line and unless it’s in the lease and the mineral owner holds their feet to the fire they normally won’t do anything. I’ve been on our lease six years now and I’m the only one who mows the pipelines.

Also, I know of no lines that I’ve ever dealt with that are 48” deep. Three feet is about the deepest and there are plenty in East Texas that aren’t any more than a foot deep. Years ago they dug ditches with strong men and sharpshooter shovels. The lines weren’t deep at all. You’re not likely to encounter lines that shallow where you are but it would be better to contact the pipeline owner and discuss what you have in mind. You probably aren’t going to disc over 4”/6” deep but they probably would like to know about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
          Yes, lines are abandoned all the time. It depends on original agreement with the landowner if the line can be cleaned and left in place or has to be removed. That is what is suppose to happen. We constantly find smaller lines that little producer companies that come and go just walk away from and no one even knows they are there.

In my area I have small plastic natural gas lines with 60 psi up to a 36" gas line with 1100 psi and all inbetween. This is why I said never assume anything about a pipe you can't physically see. I hear comments from people all the time about what the rules are because they have one line on their property and they think what goes on there applies everywhere.

Call 811 or the number on the pipeline marker signs and be sure.

Comment

Great questions btw. Thanks for asking!

Comment

OldTom hit the nail on the head. Regardless of what current regs require on new construction for depth of cover, old lines are grandfathered and may be more shallow. 811 is required not just when digging but when earth is disturbed. I promise it will make things easier and doesn't hold up anything. There are also classifications for those lines, gathering and transmission, regulated and non regulated. Companies arent required to mow every line they own, tho some will. Other than that Tom gave some good advice.

Comment

Originally posted by OleTomTalker View Post
                I constantly hear the comments made above from landowners too about the lines being deep. The issue is many lines nowadays have been in ground 50, 60 years or even more and they move alot over that amount of time. NEVER EVER assume you know how deep they are and markers are not required to be exactly over pipe. Some may be to side by couple feet or possible mismarked.
                This. The line I hit was in the ground over 80 years and finally worked its way up near the surface. I had to pester Exxon for three years before they came and lowered it. My easement with them says they cannot interfere with normal agricultural purposes. I made them come out and mark, check depth and observe every time I plowed over that line until they finally gave in and lowered it.

Comment

I will call for sure before doing anything. We’ve owned the place for two years and never seen a mower at all.

Comment

Working...
                  X