How many of yall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
    Most if not all my adult life has been spent as a cautious person. This includes my time as a Marine and a police officer. I’ve got some major improvements that I’d like to do on our property while at the same time am watching the economy and what’s happening in our country. Thus my cautiousness.
    Send it.. If our economy crashes it won't matter anyway!!

Comment

Yolo

Comment

I find that as I get older I’m more cautious. Got married….more cautious. Had kids….more cautious. Body getting older….more cautious.

But every once in a while, I’ll still charge into something full speed ahead.

Comment

I take notice of what things might look like in the immediate future, but I still do whatever the hell I want all day.

Comment

It depends on your age. Take risks when you are young. Being young and broke is not near as bad as being old and broke.

Comment

I try to maintain a healthy balance of both.
              Sometimes I'm a little more cautious with something that would have a really big impact on things that matter most. Other times, it's let go and let God!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I just spent over $13,000 putting an industrial generator in so that we can have reliable power. This nation's green energy policy is a joke, and it will lead to people dying sometime in the not too distant future. I try to think five years out. I have always been cautious with the important stuff. About the only thing that I throw caution to the wind is when my bow addiction kicks in.

Comment

Fortune favors the bold, burn the ships and fail forward.
                  My first job not in the family business was in a nursing home, it had a big impact on me. I loved those people and will be forever grateful for the lessons they shared, many inadvertently. Lots of highly successful people who’s body’s gave out on them. The commonality was fear of failure or what might go wrong stifling their potential.

My other big listening moment came in 2008. I was in a bad spot financially due to the economy and my business being tied to housing. I had an opportunity to go to Alaska fishing with some friends that were up there for the summer. I was 28, and on my second year of marriage. I was watching my families business crumble and I spent some of my last savings on a plane ticket.
                  That trip was epic and set some amazing things in motion. One thing I’ll never forget was fighting a big king salmon near a public viewing platform on the river. The entire hour I fought this fish, I could hear older gentlemen on the platform remarking that they wish they’d have gone for it when they could and taken the same kind of trip.
                  I don’t know your entire situation, but I can say for myself, I’m pretty fiscally conservative, but I also believe I need to live my life well and I’m not going to sit around and wait for a better time.

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
                    Sounds like this has to do with finances, so no. I don't through caution to the wind.

Given the improvements are thing you'd like to do vs have to do, follow what you know. Go slow and pay cash to do it. If you don't have the cash, that improvement doesn't get done right now.
                    Solid.
                    Good push MrDale.
                    Good skilling MrMauler.

Comment

Very inspiring words gentlemen. I can pay cash for the improvements but there is the recurring bills that follow. I hate being on social security but don’t wanna leave specitneeds son at home by himself either.

Comment

I can’t take it with me and I owe my kids nothing. I’m a gambler by nature and take risks on the daily. I take calculated risk, weighing the rewards, the value of the win vs. the debt of the fail. I have been broke as a joke and I’ve been very comfortable. I like comfortable better, but I can’t let fear of failure curb my natural inclination to press on.

To your specific question, improving your property, I’m in a similar situation. I’ve decided to go ahead with the improvement because… A) It’s needed for our family to better enjoy our place and B) It will add more value to the property than I will spend improving it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I was hoping you’d contribute brother. We’ve only got one special needs son. He’s 28 now. We invested his injury judgement so he’ll be o k as long as we have family willing to care for him. If not it won’t make any difference. He’ll be one a ward of the state and they will take whatever savings he has.
                          He loves the outdoors and wants me to put a cabin on our property. Finished our would be $30,000 plus, the power, water are another 5-6k. It’s a hard decision because I’m used to working to replenish what I spend.

Comment

Was born poor, have made money ,lost money figure Ill die poor with a grin on my face.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                              I was hoping you’d contribute brother. We’ve only got one special needs son. He’s 28 now. We invested his injury judgement so he’ll be o k as long as we have family willing to care for him. If not it won’t make any difference. He’ll be one a ward of the state and they will take whatever savings he has.
                              He loves the outdoors and wants me to put a cabin on our property. Finished our would be $30,000 plus, the power, water are another 5-6k. It’s a hard decision because I’m used to working to replenish what I spend.

Your 2nd paragraph tells me all I need to hear. Build that cabin for that boy. Y’all can enjoy it together!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by wow View Post
                                Was born poor, have made money ,lost money figure Ill die poor with a grin on my face.
                                My dad had a 9th grade education and joined the Navy at 17. He was on the USS Oklahoma when it was bombed in Pearl Harbor. After I was born we came to Houston for a “better paying job”. That job was paying almost $4.00 an hour.
                                My mom was forced to quit school in the sixth grade to pick cotton. Yes. You heard me right. White folks did pick cotton. She was born into the life of a “sharecropper “.
                                Both of them worked all their life. We didn’t always have what we wanted but we had what we needed. We had an attic fan to keep us cool. Yes ba k then we slept with nuttin but a screen between us and the rest of Houston.
                                We finally got a dial phone, then a window rattling a c.
                                My father died at 88 in 2010. He was my moms caregiver for the last eight years of his life. She died four years later at age 89.
                                So, I was rich in love and poor in money.
                                When your raised with a mindset of scarcity you tend to hold on to what little you have. Neither one of my parents ever had a computer, cell phone, or credit card. I thank God for them all the time.

Comment

Working...
                                X