Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Central Texas Free Range Success!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Central Texas Free Range Success!!

For the last several years my family and I have been fortunate to go hunt a beautiful place in Menard County on the SanSaba River with Droptine3030. This hunt is primarily a whitetail
    hunt for us, but with it being on the river exotics do come through. In years passed we have taken some axis does for the meat, and I have encountered some bulls out of bow range.

My limited experience with axis has proved to me that they’re are sporadic to pattern and skid-dish when you do encounter them. The majority of the time when I have seen them on the ranch it’s too late because they have already seen us!

I personally have gotten to a point where I don’t rifle hunt much anymore. If I am in a rifle blind it is to guide my six year old. Well a little before this trip Nathan got some pictures of what I imagine as the ideal axis buck. With this in mind I opted to bring my rifle with me to the blind when I sat with my son.

In the years I have known Nathan I haven’t known of him wanting to hunt anything on the ranch, but he did try some to get on this particular axis bull with no success.

Our first afternoon, Easton and I went and hunted a blind at the black of the ranch where Nathan had not hunted for the bull. At 5:25 an axis doe came out of the brush. My son asked if he could shoot her, but I had a feeling we better wait. It wasn’t much longer I looked up to see what looked like a goal post heading towards her.

Like I said I don’t rifle hunt much because it doesn’t do it for me like bowhunting, but when this thing stepped out at 140 yards I got the shakes that make us all do it!

It took awhile to get a good angle on him, and I still never really calmed down, but I managed to make it happen and I am coming back to East Texas with some excellent meat, and a taxidermy bill!

He’s actually bigger than we thought. His long side is 37” on the nose and the shorter side is broke off and is still 36-1/8”. He got the classic barrel shape that I love as well!

Thanks again Nathan, we have made countless memories on this ranch with you and I hope you will have us back again!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Congrats! Great buck

Comment

Wow! 37" and 36"? Nice Axis!

Comment

Awesome deer!

Comment

Congrats again on the giant Axis.

Give ole Nathan a hard time for me.

Comment

Congrats. That’s a stud!!!

Comment

Awesome. Congrats

Comment

Nice congrats!

Comment

Stud Axis. Congrats on an overall phenomenal hunting season.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

My goodness your taxi bill this year is going to be a large one!!! Congrats on one more excellent animal!!

Comment

Awesome axis ! By the look On his face , you might want to make sure you send him a Christmas card attached to a new can am.

Comment

A fine Axis!

Comment

What an awesome axis! That’s def an incredible animal. Lots of folks hunt for a long time and never kill one that good.

Comment

Oh yeah he's a purty one. Congratulations.!

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X