Hunting aoudad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whiteoak View Post
    You don't really want them to find your feeders. Once they do you might which they didn't. They can become very destructive on feeders. They will bash them trying to get the corn or protein out of them unless you have a good 4 leg feeder that can hold up. Plus, once the herd finds your feeders they might take over.
    I've heard this so many times before but out where we are, they come through randomly and don't stick around. I'm sure the reason they don't follow the rule is 'cause I want to shoot one with my bow.

Comment

Sounds like some shooting practice is the first thing that should be on the list Nancy!

Comment

Alfalfa or a giant pile of corn works good.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
          Sounds like some shooting practice is the first thing that should be on the list Nancy!

This ain’t no guided white slipper hunt here howdy doody.

I very rarely shoot a rifle anymore and both rifles I had with me aren’t exactly aoudad guns. Yes they will do the trick but I would prefer a bigger bullet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’d work on the accuracy before tweaking to much

Good luck as they are fun to chase and shot placement is key. Killed a couple rams with a 7mm-08 and one with a 22-250 no problem

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post

I very rarely shoot a rifle anymore and both rifles I had with me aren’t exactly aoudad guns. Yes they will do the trick but I would prefer a bigger bullet.

Erin said you don’t shoot your bow much either!

Kidding. Good luck killing one! They are pretty dang smart critters

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
                I’d work on the accuracy before tweaking to much

Good luck as they are fun to chase and shot placement is key. Killed a couple rams with a 7mm-08 and one with a 22-250 no problem

I was shooting a 7mm-08 that was sighted in dead on at 100 so there was some guess work on my part.

Comment

Yes that may be true, but that all I shoot these days. I haven’t killed a deer with a rifle in 5 years.

I did shoot a javelin off the side of the hill at 220 the other day to make sure I still could kinda shoot. [emoji2371]

That was with a 25-06 though.

Comment

Yes that may be true, but that all I shoot these days. I haven’t killed a deer with a rifle in 5 years.

I did shoot a javelin off the side of the hill at 220 the other day to make sure I still could kinda shoot. [emoji2371]

That was with a 25-06 though.

LMAO on both sides....

Comment

You don't want them at your feeders. Like 300 lb coons with sledge hammers.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Comment

We have a lot of them. I think we’ve killed 6 or 7 over 30” in the last 2-3 years. Along with a bunch of ewes. I’ve killed two rams. Both heart shot with a .243. I won’t shoot another unless it’s with my bow or some incredible 35”+ ram with insane mass.

You cannot pattern ours. They may be in a location for a day or two and not in the same spot again for a month. Several of ours have been shot at corn feeder or hay feeder locations. Some have also been shot glassing the canyons.

As far as attractants, they do eat our corn, but we get them to come out most to alfalfa. We don’t put hunting pressure on water sources, but I’m sure that could be good too when really dry. All of our corn feeders are elevated and are anchored to the rock, so we’ve been fortunate to not have any issues with them destroying them. I won’t run stand and fills out of fear of that. This year has been surprisingly wet where we hunt so our native browse has been really good. I suspect in a bad year where they need the feed we are supplementing they could really tear up some stuff.

Comment

Working...
                        X