No announcement yet.

Non successful booked hunt payment question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds Like I wouldn't hunt with that guide, or sell you a hunt.

Comment

If I had to guess, I would say they are not terribly familiar with how outfitted hunts typically work. I imagine they over guessed at the caliber of deer they may be able to provide (or just aimed high for the old bait & switch), but are not really out to screw anyone over. I would further guess that the son has been put to this by dad, knows how low the odds are, and is content with some food and a couple hundred bucks, before the hunt ever starts. I think I would have handled it very similarly as how you did. Now you don't have to explain yourself to anyone.

There are some places with very nice deer in Erath county, but they aren't exactly growing 150s on trees.

Comment

I would leave him a dollar in quarters on the kitchen table & leave.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
          Spoken like someone who sells hunts.

Have you been paying attention?

He didn’t book a weekend of relaxation at a B&B. He booked a hunt to kill a 150” class deer that apparently doesn’t exist on that place right now.

The lodging had dirty dishes and trash in it when they arrived. The OP had to clean it! The guide slept when he should have been working.

Even still I would have told him to keep the deposit for his time.
          1st - You book a hunt to hunt, not kill, a certain animal. I'm assuming this was LF btw.
          2nd - How in the world do you or the hunter have any clue what-so-ever if a 150" buck exists on that ranch? I mean wow... Just because one isn't seen in 2 days? serious?

I understand the place should have been clean and guide should have worked harder. That doesn't mean him or his son didn't get to hunt or sleep in a nice warm bed.

So you think when a guide is lazy that should equal a free hunt? What if a guide is 3x as lazy as this one was but you still luck into and kill what your after? Skip without paying, or now it's ok if he was lazy?

Comment

Comment

Post 95 answered post 94 the best.

Paying a $500 deposit doesn’t equal a free hunt.

The OP was sent two pics of target bucks. Only two. One was already killed and the other the guide decided wasn’t old enough. Maybe another 150” buck existing. We don’t know and apparently neither do they. Lol.

You’re taking this personally for some reason.

Let it go.

Last edited by AntlerCollector; 11-21-2022, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by deerslayer64d View Post
                I apologize if I wasn’t clear. My question was if I’m Morley obligated to pay him a tip above the $500 deposit already paid? As of this moment no opportunity has been presented at a 150 or better class deer therefore the $3750 kill fee does not apply. My gut tells me I owe nothing more but I am wired a bit different than most and just want to do what’s right
                If the "guide" has been sleeping during legal hunting hours and you had to wake him up to me it doesn't sound like he has put enough effort in for any tip. The way I understand things are people have to earn tips which are above their normal pay.

Comment

I am in the belief camp of posts 83 and 84, where they were overcommitted and knew it.

Comment

Update- my faith in humanity has been restored, the hunt is over , they returned at 10:00 am unsuccessful, the guide apologized and offered my deposit back for not getting it done and I told him no need to apologize as it’s hunting and not a zoo , if it had been a meat hunt it would have been over the first hunt but we were looking for a certain class of deer and nothing less, I shook his hand and gave him $200.00 more dollars, to me this was for him offering my deposit back ! The hunt continues for a 150+ class deer for my son .
                    Wow! Glad it worked out.

Comment

Good deal!

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn21 View Post
                        Disagree big time- I ain’t paying that kind of money for a 20 year old or a 24 year old that ain’t seen a tenth of the deer that I’ve seen or killed. That’s just me.
                        I have a 19 yo and a 23 yo son that have put hands on deer I am willing to bet you will never even get a chance to see in person.

Age ain't got jack to do with it. It 100% based on drive and want to.

Comment

Ok I book hunts on our ranch. I don’t over promise. I do pay in full hunts because I can’t control the hunter’s ability and I don’t sit next to them. I have an outfitter that does guaranteed hunts on our place as well. But we get 500 a weekend for the lodge and ranch expenses. Water, electricity, fuel for rangers ect. The key to booking the hunt is know what your getting. We do written contracts. I bust my butt to get hunters their animals. Does it always work out? No it’s hunting.
                          Sounds like it worked out.
                          Everyone should due there due diligence when booking a hunt and that’s not a guarantee. Many people pay 6-10k to hunt elk and eat a tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Update- my faith in humanity has been restored, the hunt is over , they returned at 10:00 am unsuccessful, the guide apologized and offered my deposit back for not getting it done and I told him no need to apologize as it’s hunting and not a zoo , if it had been a meat hunt it would have been over the first hunt but we were looking for a certain class of deer and nothing less, I shook his hand and gave him $200.00 more dollars, to me this was for him offering my deposit back ! The hunt continues for a 150+ class deer for my son .
                            That sounds fair.

Comment

Trophy8- I’m grumpy? Go back to your 3rd grade reading teacher and get her to help you read my post again. I simply said I wouldn’t hire a young kid as a guide. How do you get “grumpy” out of that? So you can’t read, you assume way too much, and when you don’t understand the narrative, you make-up your own. Seek some counseling.

Comment

OP, just because you didn't see a 150" deer doesn't mean they are not there. On the lease I hunt now, we have lots of pictures of 150" deer and still haven't laid eyes on one of the target deer yet. Another problem could be the guide probably overestimated the size of his deer. Sometimes the deer just don't cooperate. This experience has taught you to be more diligent in the future. You did good by tipping extra even though it probably wans't deserved. I hope you find you 150" buck soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X