No announcement yet.

Shot a buck this evening, is it liver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I’m going to play it safe and wait till day light… I hate it, it’ll be a sleepless night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I hit one far back many many moons ago and saw it run off and thought oh he++. It dropped within 30 yards and when I gutted it the liver had a hole in it ( was shooting Zwickey's at the time). I have read on here before that a liver shot is a long trail job, but this is my experience and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post

My arrow for reference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This makes me feel better for sure

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
          Have had a mule deer, two whitetails, and my caribou have that same reaction.

Was his tail up or down? In my experiences that is the litmus test more often than not for a fatal shot. My biggest buck I heart shot, he ran about 20-25, stopped and stood there for 20 sec then walked off into the brush where he died right past the brush line. By the looks of your arrow it's a dead deer by now.

I definitely need to do better on this because I couldn’t tell you what his tail was doing..

Comment

Originally posted by CSB View Post
            I definitely need to do better on this because I couldn’t tell you what his tail was doing..

Well if it's dead now....it will be dead in the morning. Good luck with the recovery sir.

Comment

In to watch for the recovery....Good luck in the AM..

Comment

Well after you bumped him, you did right. Wait till morning.

Comment

Tag!

Comment

In for recovery pics!

Comment

In for LDP's

Comment

Ive seen a lot of stomach shot deer act like that. It's possible to hit stomach and still get good lung blood.

The deer you heard was your deer. He'll be dead in the morning inside 200-250 yards of where you jumped him.

If you aren't able to follow blood, get a dog and you'll find him.

Comment

Originally posted by CSB View Post
                          My string clipped my jacket sleeve and I hit about 4” back from where I was aiming he jumped and ran about 30 yds and stood there then walked into the brush. I grabbed my arrow and it was covered in the blood you can see. I followed good blood about 20yds but heard a deer bound off.. might have been another deer but I wasn’t sure so I backed out. I’ve never had a deer react that way. I shot him with a mega meat and all blades were deployed so I’m hopeful. Everything I read about liver is 6-8 hour wait….

I mean if its REALLY good blood, its been a couple hours. I'd just go get my deer. But a drop here and there, no. You're going to do what you want. If there's any low country around or water, he'll go to that.

Comment

Bet that MegaMeat tore him up. In for the LDP’s tomorrow.

Comment

Regardless of where you hit him, liver, stomach, intestines he is gonna want to lay down. I have had liver shots that the deer was down in seconds, others not. A mid section shot is lethal. You will find him.

Comment

Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X