Hunting nowadays with illegals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jdg13 View Post
    No way I would get on a lease near the border, especially with kids. Heck Mexico itself is probably safer at this point.
    If I had the money and wife had the time, Id hunt mexico before a border county

<---Mexican deer

Comment

I own a place between camp wood and rocksprings. I've had some stay in an unlocked blind about 6 years ago when it froze overnight. I have 2 county roads through my place and i find evidence there but other than that they have left my place alone. the cartels have an app that they use to mark sites. green is safe to use, yellow is for they are sometimes there, and red is an occupied residence. the trick is to make it look lived in

Comment

Mexico is safer. We've been dealing with this for every in east Texas

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sharpstick35 View Post
          I own a place between camp wood and rocksprings. I've had some stay in an unlocked blind about 6 years ago when it froze overnight. I have 2 county roads through my place and i find evidence there but other than that they have left my place alone. the cartels have an app that they use to mark sites. green is safe to use, yellow is for they are sometimes there, and red is an occupied residence. the trick is to make it look lived in
          Do I get this app off the Apple App Store or is there a Cartel App Store?

Comment

We hunt right on the border northwest of Laredo, across from Hidalgo. Our camp is a mile from the river. We've been lucky I guess, because we haven't had a lot of trouble. I found a guy sleeping in our blind one morning last year (same thing a few years ago). I kicked him out and sent him on his way.

In the past there was a lot of Border patrol presence. I've had a few hunts ruined by the BP helicopter buzzing around. Now we don't really see to many BP guys. They have tower cameras set up all along the property, so maybe that helps keep the number of agents in the field down. However, I think it has to do more with the influx of illegals at other areas. They need the help over there, so they get a free pass through our lease.

So I guess it very much depends on where you are in the state. A few miles south or north and they may have major problems. There is also a lot of oilfield activity on our lease, so that may have some effect.

Comment

Hunting nowadays with illegals

The illegals are a pain in the ***. Cutting fences, trashing blinds and leaving doors open. For the most part they’ve never broke in that I know of although I have items missing (like 3 stream light flashlights, knives, etc).

We don’t call border patrol anymore though. It’s bad enough having a pack of illegals come through but if you want to guarantee a way to ruin the entire weekend of hunting, call the troops out and watch the show. Trucks hauling *** through the pasture, helicopters, horses. Pushing deer and cattle around like they’re going after Pablo Escobar.

The regular helicopters that are about the size of an R44 are bad enough but now they’re using military helicopters that scare every deer off within 2-3 miles of it. Enough of this war zone BS.

We’ll call once they’re through the ranch. I’m tired of them blowing the entire ranch out to catch 1/5 of a group of illegals.

As far as the bad cartel guys, they don’t want to encounter you way more than You don’t want to encounter them.

Our landowner told us a few years ago that this has been going on for decades, even going back to prohibition. He lives there and doesn’t want to be the gringo that is a “problem” for cartels.
              Last edited by kyle1974; 11-16-2022, 07:38 AM.

Comment

Mexico is safer because there is a system in place. They get out of line in Mexico and there's a price to pay.

That aren't just running wild across the country side.

Comment

Originally posted by surso View Post
                  Is hunting any more dangerous now with the increased illegal border crossing activity? I had a lease a few years ago in Laredo within a couple of miles from the border and never thought too much about it. Saw a couple while hunting one year, but never had any issues with theft, break-ins, altercations, etc. I'm wanting to get back on a lease and bring the family, but I now have 2 very young kids (2 and 4) and my wife is concerned about safety from illegals more so than rattlesnakes. What are you guys seeing/hearing? Are you doing anything different now?
                  Hard pass

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                    Mexico is safer. We've been dealing with this for every in east Texas

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
                    In east Texas they have taken over every gas station and built taco stands in them.

I’m 30 lbs overweight because of it

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                      Mexico is safer because there is a system in place. They get out of line in Mexico and there's a price to pay.

That aren't just running wild across the country side.

Mexico is definitely safer. The illegals are on our side.

Comment

Originally posted by PEC View Post
                        Do I get this app off the Apple App Store or is there a Cartel App Store?
                        Sad situation, but that's funny right there! Thanks for the laugh!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                          If I had the money and wife had the time, Id hunt mexico before a border county

<---Mexican deer
                          Its bad when the other side of the border is safer than our side here

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                            Mexico is definitely safer. The illegals are on our side.
                            Illegals on both sides. The majority caught these days are OTM's.

Comment

After thinking about it a little more, we may be better off because we're so close to the river. It's only a 1-2 mile walk and you're off our lease and on the paved road. So there's not much reason to stop and break into a camp or cut fences to drive in and pick up illegals.

I can see how the ranches that are further in have these sorts of problems. The illegals have been walking for miles through rough country and may run out of water, food, etc. So they break in somewhere to get rations. I assume the fence cutting and driving through fences probably happens closer to the check points, where they're trying to get around them.

Comment

This has not been my experience hunting S. Texas. We’re in Western Webb Co. north of Laredo. We’re not far from the border. We haven’t seen an illegal in person or on camera and we haven’t had anything broken into etc. I guess we’re lucky, or not on a travel route, or maybe we’re in the red zone on the cartel app bc the landowner is there all the time.

We bring our families there but we stay armed and keep trucks and guns locked etc. Maybe I better knock on wood for saying the above but I wanted to let the op know not all of S TX is bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X