F250 gassers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bowfishin fool View Post
    7.3L 1 ton LWB 4x4 gasser with the 3.73 rear end.

14-15 mpg at 75-80mph

9.x mpg pulling just about anything from a two horse bumper pull to hauling our skidsteer.

No lack of power, has been great for us. Have put 24k on it since July 1. Smooth comfortable, easiest driving truck I’ve ever owned.

I did some math yesterday over a friends diesel getting 19 mpg at $4.50/gallon.. he’s paying 23.6 cents per mile In fuel. 14 mpg at $2.95 I’m only paying 20.8 cent per mile in fuel. And no def.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mine is a 2020 like this.

Honestly, never bought a vehicle for the MPG period!

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
      That’s got to be unloaded in the 7.3!!! You’re just in Denial! You must be talking about a very old diesel waiting for boost!
      Well I came from a tuned 17’ 6.7 350, and hated the 20-21’ super dutie 6.7s I test drove as well as the 21 6.6 Duramax. Just cause you can’t comprehend it right doesn’t mean it wasn’t worded properly

My 17’ sucked to drive too until it was tuned.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
        Well I came from a tuned 17’ 6.7 350, and hated the 20-21’ super dutie 6.7s I test drove as well as the 21 6.6 Duramax. Just cause you can’t comprehend it right doesn’t mean it wasn’t worded properly

My 17’ sucked to drive too until it was tuned.
        My comperhension ar broke most of the time

I will say that the 7.3’s are quiet - they have that going for them

Comment

I don't know how many threads I have read over the years on this topic and the arguments for and against gas/diesel are always the same.
          With the cost of these trucks today in addition to fuel costs, if you are worried about mileage you probably should be driving an economy car.
          Anecdotal evidence just based on friends who do drive diesels, 90% of them rarely tow heavy enough or frequently enough to need a diesel. The 10% who do, really need them and benefit from the advantages.
          The other 90% just want to drive a diesel and if that is how they want to spend their money then thats great.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Nobody will ever convince you guys that are in love with diesels. Some of you have need for them, some don’t, but you can’t argue the numbers. Well, you can, but it won’t hold up. I took my V10s to close to 200K before I traded them and never had a wrench on any of them, that’s five F250s and two Excursions. I take that back, I had a coil pack fail on one Excursion. Think about how much money I saved on the initial prices alone, not to mention the high price of oil changes, fuel filters, etc. Diesels just cost too much for the gain unless you’re towing much of the time. I never hooked to anything I couldn’t pull with authority ! I only hope the 6.2 I have will last like the V 10s did, I’m still ****** at Ford for dropping that engine in the F250s.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
              Nobody will ever convince you guys that are in love with diesels. Some of you have need for them, some don’t, but you can’t argue the numbers. Well, you can, but it won’t hold up. I took my V10s to close to 200K before I traded them and never had a wrench on any of them, that’s five F250s and two Excursions. I take that back, I had a coil pack fail on one Excursion. Think about how much money I saved on the initial prices alone, not to mention the high price of oil changes, fuel filters, etc. Diesels just cost too much for the gain unless you’re towing much of the time. I never hooked to anything I couldn’t pull with authority ! I only hope the 6.2 I have will last like the V 10s did, I’m still ****** at Ford for dropping that engine in the F250s.

So will anyone ever convince you since you’re in love with a motor they discontinued?lol

All that money you saved at initial purchase, you’d get back at resale. Some times a little less, some times more, especially if you’re gonna trade in with so few miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My comperhension ar broke most of the time

I will say that the 7.3’s are quiet - they have that going for them
                I’ll be a little more clear. I enjoy daily driving the 7.3 more. I enjoy towing more with the 6.7. I only tow 10% of the time these days. Why would I go for the motor I enjoy more only 10% of the time especially if it he motor I enjoy driving more 90% of the time is cheaper?

Comment

I bought a new 2019 F250 4x4 gasser- basically scratched an itch. Figured it would be the last new truck I would buy since looking to retire before too long. Told the wife that if we decided to buy a travel trailer that a 3/4 ton would be better trying to pull it rather than our 1/2 ton. Bought a gasser for the same reason drycreek said- costs more to buy, more to maintain, and more at the pump, plus don't pull a trailer all the time. It had a 6.2 in it but gas mileage depressed me. Kept getting emails from local Ford dealer about trading up to save on monthly payments so traded for a 2021 F250 4x4 with a 7.3 and gas mileage is a little better- can get better than 15mpg when not pulling a trailer with cruise on the highway. Have had no issues with it yet.

Comment

Just order a 2023 F250 this morning. I got a conformation email from Ford this afternoon.

I had read that order books were closed for 2023 SD Fords, but that is not the case.

I order an 4x4 XLT, LWB, CC, Gawd Ziller, 430 gears, electro locker, goose prep and a couple other things.

Got the truck a hair under invoice via the X Plan. MSRP $58,775. Paying $56,065.90. X Plan discount $2,709.10.
                    Plus $75 dealer service fee, tax, tag, title

Email my guy the build and price Friday. He emailed me the quote back Friday afternoon. I called him Monday and he emailed the order over Monday evening, and I emailed it back this morning.
                    He didn't ask for any earnest money (never has and I've ordered several trucks in the past 18 years).

He did say that he wasn't making any guarantees on when or if it would get built.

This ain't luxury truck like most of you ballers drive, but most of my other trucks(Scout, Unimogs, Broncos, Jeep) don't even have radios(or doors or tops).

I will admit that I'll miss that heated steering wheel in my Ram 3500. It hit 38 here this morning and your boy had chilly fangers.

Comment

With my 2019 being an F250 XLT CCLB 6.2/430, I ordered my second Ford and first F350 Lariat CCLB 7.3/4.30, also on Nov 30. I could have got it slightly cheaper under invoice in Pennsylvania, but I signed for $250 over invoice at a Texas dealer which will be easier dealing with TT&L, etc.

I have lots of miles towing behind diesels, but even my lowly 6.2 exceeded my every expectation with how it handled our 30' TT or anything else I put in it or behind it. Having good heat about 30 seconds after start-up wasn't a bad perk either. Actually, it was seemingly getting better on mileage at 40k as I got over 600 miles on each tank of the last two fill-ups just prior to my needing to sell it. Needless to say (or maybe I do need to say it), I did not miss my diesel, and still don't.

I'm looking forward to the even better performance from the 7.3/4.30, which brings me to my final point...

Any discussion of towing frequently or heavy with a gasser with 3.55 or 3.73 gears is fruitless. Great power plant, but neutered by the gear sets makes no sense, IMHO. And with all due respect, Dale, you wouldn't have lost me or had to wait for me in my 6.2/4.30 rig. That truck pulled my TT as fast as I wanted to go, and most of the time, it did it in OD. On a steep hill, I would manually drop it to 4th just prior to hitting the hill and it never missed a beat or lost speed. And it did NOT beat me up on high RPMs or noise.

OK, one more point...What I have also found is it ain't always about the truck. Some people simply don't know how to drive their trucks or make them tow well. And worrying about fuel mileage in a heavy duty truck is just as fruitless. Life is too short worrying about mileage in an 8k lb truck.

YMMV.

Comment

I’ll be a little more clear. I enjoy daily driving the 7.3 more. I enjoy towing more with the 6.7. I only tow 10% of the time these days. Why would I go for the motor I enjoy more only 10% of the time especially if it he motor I enjoy driving more 90% of the time is cheaper?
                        I totally agree!

Finally a post that makes sense!

Comment

I totally agree!

You must be on the 6.7 design team

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                            You must be on the 6.7 design team

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
                            At this point it doesn’t have anything to do with that! He was honest and admitted that the diesel will definitely pull a lot better. But that’s for folks that pull heavy often. If I wasn’t pulling heavy all of the time I would go the 7.3 route but I would also know my limitations.

Comment

I totally agree!

I prefer driving a tuned 6.7 over a stock 6.7 or 7.3, but with the gov crackdown on deleted trucks I don’t want to deal with that anymore. A stock 6.7 would be great to drive if it wasn’t for the freaking turbo lag. It drives me crazy, otherwise I’d have considered a 6.7 again when I bought my 22’ 7.3.

Comment

I prefer driving a tuned 6.7 to over a stock 6.7 or 7.3, but with the gov crackdown on deleted trucks I don’t want to deal with that anymore. A stock 6.7 would be great to drive if it wasn’t for the freaking turbo lag. It drives me crazy, otherwise I’d have considered a 6.7 again when I bought my 22’ 7.3.
                                If you would have never started tuning you wouldn’t know the difference ! I used to do the same but stopped when I got to the 6.7- they just plain do not need it. Of course that’s my humble opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X