East Texas super bucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

East Texas super bucks

I'm so happy the state has decided to manage my deer herd for me.
    This buck will get to live
    [ATTACH]1354
    while this one will surly get whacked by sombody
    [/ATTACH]
    Attached Files

[ATTACH]:) [/ATTACH]the one in the yellow is my ranch manager (grandson)
    Attached Files

Comment

Nice food plot, what are you growing?

Comment

I planted a mix from tractor supply. and 20 pounds of clover. the mix seems to be mostly turnips.

Comment

I will agree that the State's plan has some flaws, but overall the system works.

Bad Outcome: I have been watching the same deer for 4 years now. He is a great looking nine now (long tines with a lot of mass), but may never be "a shooter" according to the state because his horn go practically straight up.

Good Outcome: Excluding the example above our buck/doe ratio has improved greatly as well as the number of quality buck has really increased. Seeing a deer with a 13" spread was practically unheard of on our lease before the new regs. but now we have choices.

Just my two cents, but the only way the state could get some hunters to stop killing young deer was to make it illegal. One of the draw backs to them have to do so is the example you are sharing.

Comment

Yeah i agree....some of the rules have there flaws, but overall it will help alot of counties in Texas

Comment

I'm all for in at our lease. I saw a 6ptr sunday that came 10 yards from me and was about 2 years old and i am glad he'll be protected because of how even he was he'll be a shooter in another 2.5 years. I've heard it takes a few years to see the progress. just got to wait for the trash to die off of old age or what ever..

Comment

Unfortunately, where I hunt at there are several people hunting on the surrounding properties. You are lucky to see a nice 8. If you let it walk you'll likely never see it again. Kind of stinks. I wouldn't mind if they did that in the county I hunt. Opening weekend and Thanksgiving sound like World War 3.

Comment

mikep, that is exactly how it was at our place. I also hunt small acreage and opening weekend of rifle season sounds like you got dropped in the middle of a war zone. Since our county became part of the program the has been a seize fire and our buck population and quality has increased dramatically.

Comment

depending how you hold your tape that first buck is probably a legal shooter!

Comment

Yeah, I would guess that first buck to be legal myself. Greatest inside spread is 13", I'm pretty sure.

Comment

Nice Food Plot. When and how many acres did you plant???? Did you disc up your soil?

Comment

Love your food plot, we never have anything eat our turnips. Seems the nine million pounds of acorns tast better.

Comment

yes I disc it up with a little disc behind my 4 wheeler. I planted about 2 acres right down on the creek. 200 pounds of lime and 800 pound of 13-13-13 . I have lots of acorns but the deer are really working on the clover that is growing under the turnips.

Comment

Marty, when I was leasing up around Robert Lee and Bronte, we planted winter peas. The deer, quail and turkey just wore 'em out.

Comment

Working...
                              X