Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bpa556
    replied
    Grab pliers and get them yourself. Less stressful on the dog to do it at home.

Don’t snip ends and don’t pussyfoot around with them. Grab firmly and jerk it out. It hurts and you don’t want to double the dog’s suffering with half-a**’d pulls and do-overs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Outback
    replied
    I've never seen a porcupine but they are clearly in Llano County. Our Great Pyrenees have been hit several times. We are south of Llano.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• 1riot1ranger
    replied
    Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
    That's not too bad. I've pulled 100s of'em. We soaked bread in some whiskey to calm the dog down, then went to work with good pliers. You have to grip them tight, and pull each one out FAST. They will bleed and swell up, but they'll jump on the next one they see, just the same.
    This ^^ They will never learn that they can't win next time. Bread in whiskey is a good idea. We just poored whiskey or beer down, which ever they preferred

Leave a comment:

• Drycreek3189
    replied
    I had a good pointer once that would point porcupines. He never paid any attention to anything except quail or porkys. I was always afraid he would try to bite one but he never did, just held a rock solid point on them. Thank God he didn’t have to go through that and neither did I.

Leave a comment:

• skulleton
    replied
    Had four jack Russell get on one in a wood pile. Thought we where going to see a big coon come out of there. Nah. Never even seen the porcupine. Took 3 hours to pull all the quills out of those dogs.

Leave a comment:

• eastover53
    replied
    Originally posted by Bisch View Post

This is what I dealt with a few weeks back! Never seen quills inside the mouth like that before, but this little JRT is ferocious when it comes to latching onto critters!!!!!

And it was a Sunday and we went to the vet 70 miles away!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Holy ****!

My brother had a Jack Russell like that. Stone cold killer. Coons didn't stand a chance. Those darn dogs think they are king kong.

Leave a comment:

• bowhuntvideo
    replied
    Sedate. Did it once without and it was horrible. Still feel bad for the dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• D4H
    replied
    It depends on the dogs attitude whether you can pull them yourself. I have Blue Lacy’s and Border Collie ranch dogs that get into them regularly. Some will lay there and let you pull them. The others will eat you alive and take your arm and hand off. They go to the vet for them to deal with. If the quills are close or in the eye itself, they go to the vet either way. I have never snipped the quills. You normally get one shot at getting the quills out if they are compliant and they don’t like a second attempt. The quills are painful enough that any additional movement in snipping and then removing are unnecessary. The vets pull them when they are under anesthesia. I’ve never seen them clip and then pull them out. Our livestock guard dogs get into them occasionally but if not severe they fester out in about a week. If your dog is compliant, you can remove them yourself with pliers. If not, a vet is your only option. Be aware, that the vet may not get all of them the first visit. Some will fester out later and become infected in his mouth. Run your fingers around his gums daily for a week or so and check for any new ones that have worked their way out. My vets always put them on antibiotics if it’s a severe case. Good luck. It can get expensive but in the end you are doing the best for your dog.

Leave a comment:

• Dale Moser
    replied
    That's not too bad. I've pulled 100s of'em. We soaked bread in some whiskey to calm the dog down, then went to work with good pliers. You have to grip them tight, and pull each one out FAST. They will bleed and swell up, but they'll jump on the next one they see, just the same.

Leave a comment:

• MLAH
    replied
    >

Leave a comment:

• j.trevor123
    replied

This is what I dealt with a few weeks back! Never seen quills inside the mouth like that before, but this little JRT is ferocious when it comes to latching onto critters!!!!!

Bisch

Gooodness, was the dog going crazy?

Leave a comment:

• DedDuk
    replied

Bisch

Wow.
    He'd do it again today given the chance I bet.

Leave a comment:

• Mission408
    replied
    Getting sleepy at the vet here in Glen rose. Pick him up this evening.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Rubi513
    replied
    Ouch!

Leave a comment:

• Bisch
    replied

Bisch

Leave a comment:

Working...
X