No announcement yet.

Texasbowhunter.com Blanco County Season-long Live Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A weirdo guy taking a weirdo deer with a weirdo weapon...I'm dig'n it.

Comment

Congrats Casey! Did you neck shoot him on purpose with the Xbow?

Comment

Congrats buddy!

Those are fun to shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Hannah had her first solo hunt this evening.
          She texted the group that she had shot a doe…

“Arrow didn’t go all the way through watched her run about probably 100 yards and then lost her over the ridge but I know what direction she went.”

She filmed the shot with my RX100, but couldn’t tell much with my broken screen. I told her to wait 30 minutes until we could review the video. In the meantime, she filled up am SD card with post-shot material!

We reviewed the video on my computer and really couldn’t tell much (she kept a pretty wide angle) but she felt like it was a good shot, so we decided to go look for blood and evaluate.

Jnet, Kels, Hannah and I immediately found good blood on the rocks and were able to follow it fairly easily, although there were a couple of times where we lost it for a few minutes before finding it again. Kels and Hannah have great eyes!

Finally, Hannah saw a white lump in the distance. She wasn’t sure if it was a rock or a belly until we walked farther up the trail and she raised her hands in victory!

It was a great shot. I’m surprised at how far it ran, but we ultimately found it.

Dinner is ready and we have a deer to clean, but we’ll update more later!

Great Job!

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
            Congrats Casey! Did you neck shoot him on purpose with the Xbow?
            Certainly didn't do it accidently. I was in a 10' quadpod on a fence line and he walked straight to me. He weaved to his right and then back to his left to stop and look at the feeder. Pretty hard quarter but was at 6 yards. He fell over backwards on impact.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
              Certainly didn't do it accidently. I was in a 10' quadpod on a fence line and he walked straight to me. He weaved to his right and then back to his left to stop and look at the feeder. Pretty hard quarter but was at 6 yards. He fell over backwards on impact.

Sorry to question.....I was just curious as you don't see many folks shoot a deer in the neck with an arrow.

It certainly worked....

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                Sorry to question.....I was just curious as you don't see many folks shoot a deer in the neck with an arrow.

It certainly worked....
                I aimed where I wanted it to exit so it had to enter somewhere above the shoulder. From that distance I never once questioned the outcome. It apparently stopped at the base of the sternum.

Comment

Did the same thing on a big buck in the sand once. 9 yard shot and instantly was like a water hose coming out of the entrance past the fletching. He stumbled about 15’ and the party was over.....

Congrats on a fine kill!
                  Last edited by MASTERS; 10-16-2022, 11:09 AM.

Comment

I wish I had the video but he advanced out of the frame.

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post
                      Did the same thing on a big buck in the sand once. 9 yard shot and instantly was like a water hose coming out of the entrance past the fletching. He stumbled about 15’ and the party was over.....

Congrats on a fine kill!
                      Watched what little video I have on the PC just now. Waterhose is a great description. He bled profusely from mouth, nose and entrance. I didn't realize how badly he bled until just now. Over very quickly for him!

Comment

I aimed where I wanted it to exit so it had to enter somewhere above the shoulder. From that distance I never once questioned the outcome. It apparently stopped at the base of the sternum.

I'm with you now.....I was thinking it was more like a rifle neck shot looking at the photo.

Effective for sure.

Comment

Watched what little video I have on the PC just now. Waterhose is a great description. He bled profusely from mouth, nose and entrance. I didn't realize how badly he bled until just now. Over very quickly for him!

Yessiree. It’s not a shot angle for everyone, but when you pull it off up close they bleed so much so fast you can literally smell the iron from the blind. Congrats again, Blanco county is a special place!

Comment

Congratulations Casey. Camps always more fun when something is on the skinning pole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Stins is working on cleaning the head and doing a euro for me. I thought this buck was "mature enough". I haven't paid a lot of attention to the trail cam pics this year due to the lack of exciting antler growth. I went and pulled a few of him to just get a better gauge. I think he was a good one to "take out" last night.

Click image for larger version

Name:	crop IMG_0263.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	325.1 KB
ID:	24695976

Name:	crop IMG_0265.jpg
Size:	229.6 KB
ID:	24695977

Name:	crop IMG_0866.jpg
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	24695978

Name:	share_image_1665233608019_1937299443791.png
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	24695979

Name:	687644421.jpg
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	24695980

Name:	image88108.jpg
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	24695981
                              Last edited by Casey; 10-16-2022, 03:16 PM.

Comment

He was a crotchety old feller

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X