Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gonna be late getting the story posted.

But here is a teaser pic.

6x6 shot at 40 yards coming in hot and heavy to a water hole, screaming behind cows.

Got it all on video thanks to Justin.

Full right up and LDP’s to follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome ending!! Happy for both of you

Team Little Debbie Pro Staff

Comment

Well that escalated quickly!!

Comment

Firsts Elk hunts and ya'll both score!?

Double Congrats!!

Comment

Great job

Comment

Congrats!!

Comment

Get some!

Comment

Hell yeah, congrats!

Comment

Congrats on an amazing hunt! Can't wait to hear to story!

Comment

Awesome! Congrats

Comment

Congrats Heath!!!

Comment

Congrats guys!

Comment

Awesome!! Congratulations, Heith! looking forward to the story

Comment

Congrats! Look forward to the story

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Comment

19 Days to Kill - Live!!! New Mexico, East Tx, North Tx, Illinois

Finally back at camp. Got my bull caped, quartered & on Ice!

What a day we had!

Here’s the story of how we killed the Fire Tower Bull…

After our encounter with the bull & cows this morning we made a move to some high altitude timber but had no luck locating anything. We moved to another location with the same luck.

My Guide suggested moving to a mountain where there was a Fire Tower and glass for bulls. We could eat lunch and see what we could find. As I posted earlier today, we weren’t seeing anything that looked like a shooter. Small bulls were popping out here and there and we discussed going back after the bull from this morning.

We decided to give it a little more time and the later it got the more Elk we saw filtering out of the timber. We had been on this mountain glassing for 4 hrs. Finally we spot what we think is a shooter bull but he isn’t really giving us a clear view. He is whooping a bush to no end and won’t show us his horns. He has several cows with him and finally turns to follow a cow giving us a full view, 6x6 and we all agree he is a shooter.

Now the waiting game starts and we aren’t sure where he is gonna go. For over an hr we watch mill around in the timber bulging to other bulls and lip curling behind cows. But they’re really not giving us an indication of where they are headed. We all share guesses and what ifs but we all keep thinking they will head toward a near by pond and have made a game plan of how to get there if they do.

FINALLY the cows start heading for the pond about 3/4 a mile from them. As soon as the guide sees this he jumps up, says “Let’s go!!!” We knew we didn’t have much time to get there ahead of them but we were dang sure gonna give it a shot. Down the mountain we go all the while knowing we were running out of light and time.

When we finally made it to the pond the bull is screaming and we know he is close. Like, super close!! We hit the pond dam headed for trees on the opposite side and I hear the guide saying, GO! GO! GO!

A cow had crested the ridge about 200 yards from us. We all 3 broke and ran to the trees, not knowing if, and hoping she didn’t see us.

We settled in an existing blind on the edge of the pond. I got an arrow knocked and ranged around the pond. All the while the screams are getting closer and closer. He’s coming and he’s coming fast!

We haven’t been in the blind 2 minutes max, and a cow elk comes running in at 30 yards. Guess who is right behind her screaming his lungs out! He read the script perfect! He hits the pond at 40 yards. Justin confirms the yardage and my guide gives me the thumbs up.

I draw, anchor, bury the pen in his rib cage and a calf swims right between us blocking my shot. She passes and I get back on him. About to touch off and she swims back the opposite direction blocking my shot again. Somehow I keep my composure just long enough for her to pass and I slowly squeeze my thumb release watching my blue nocturnal, with Sydney’s name on the arrow fly across the pond and hearing that sound we all long for as impact occurs and both lungs are punctured. THWACK!!!!

Cows scatter!!! Water is flying everywhere as the bull tries his best to get the heck out of there. Blood is immediately pumping out of his side.

Still in shock, I turn to Justin and ask, “Did that really just happen?” Followed by “Was that a good shot?” My guide and Justin both confirm he is as good as dead and the hand shakes, hugs, fist bumps, grins and congratulations all explode in the blind.

We all three expressed our disbelief of how me made that whole situation work in our favor. If we had been 2 minutes slower, we would have blown the whole herd out of there. What a close call! Talk about pushing the envelope!!! Little light left and even less time and some how we managed to get moved, get set up, and kill a shooter 6x6 bull at 40 yards. AND, got the whole thing on video!!!!

To top the whole hunt off, he ran about 125 yards, died on the edge of a field and we were able to drive right up to him and load him in the truck.

Unfortunately, with all the adrenaline and excitement, I didn’t take any LDP’s in the field. Never even crossed my mind until we were headed to town. We were in such a hurry to get him field dressed and loaded that no one even mentioned it. But I was able to get some at the skinning shed.

Blessed is an understatement for me this week. Not sure I’ll ever top my first elk. I gotta give credit to my family for supporting me on every hunting trip I make. And a huge thanks to Justin for doing all the leg work in planning this hunt. He is a pretty dang good camera man too!

Thanks to everyone for all of the kinds words and support!!! We are just getting started!
                                I feel like we started out the year with the bar set pretty high. Hopefully the rest of the year is as entertaining.

We are packed up and will be headed home in the morning. Gonna make it just in time for the whitetail season opener!!! BONUS!!!!!

Pic of the Fire Tower from the pond after the kill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Last edited by Hsbtgarcia; 09-29-2022, 02:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X