Subbing game roast for chuck roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MetalMan2004 View Post
    Didn’t find the wavy I, but I did pick up some tallow today. There was duck fat right next to it so I figured why not and I grabbed some of that too. I’m sure I can make something good with it.
    Roasted duck fat potatoes are the best potatoes. Just saying!

Comment

Subbing game roast for chuck roast

Collagen > Fat in this situation in terms of texture (dryness). Fat will add another layer to the overall flavor but is not necessary.

If you have a large pressure canner and are throwing away your venison bones you are doing yourself a disservice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Make sure the roast is submerged in the broth water. Sometimes that means a tall skinny crock versus a big shallow crock. The tall skinny takes less fluid to submerge the meat. Any roast not submerged ends up dry. Game being super lean makes the dryness worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
          Collagen > Fat in this situation in terms of texture (dryness). Fat will add another layer to the overall flavor but is not necessary.

If you have a large pressure canner and are throwing away your venison bones you are doing yourself a disservice.

I’ve been looking for a deal on an all American for a long time. Might have to buy the bullet and pay full price on one. I’m tired of waiting, there’s too much good stuff to cook and can.

Comment

Originally posted by zztex View Post

Smart a**.

Comment

Not that you all needed confirmation that you were correct, but I finally got around to giving it a go and it turned out great.

This is the recipe I’ve done several times with beef:

The only changes I made were extra broth to cover the meat since it was about 6 lbs and I added a jar (about 2c) of tallow. Not sure if I needed that much tallow or not but man after 5 hrs that meat fell apart just looking at it.

Comment

Working...
              X