Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else not interested in the technical aspects of archery/tuning/etc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think people are either tinkerers or they're not... I am definitely a tinkerer when it comes to bows... mostly I started tinkering because I didn't want to rely on the bow shops schedule aligning with mine... I do most of my tinkering at night when I have time.

I assume I am better at it than the bad bow shops, and not as good as the really good ones, but I enjoy it. I assume I am very much in the minority, because whenever I buy a bow the shop people seem surprised when I just walk out with a bare bow to set up myself... like it doesn't happen very often.

Comment

I do all my own work myself. Set up, tuning, arrow building, etc. I don't build strings, but pretty much everything else.

I am also on call for a couple of local outfitters here in Iowa. You would be surprised at the number of guys that wait 5 years, pay $5000+ for an Iowa deer hunt and their bows are all jacked up when they get here. I have also fixed derailed strings, cables and lost peeps from dry fires, worked on bows dropped out of tree stands, install new D loops, built arrows for guys that forgot their arrows and the list goes on.[emoji1745]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Arrowsmith; 09-20-2022, 03:43 PM.

Comment

I'm a tinkerer but not with my bow. Same for guns. I built a few ARs just to have the experience but mostly take my stuff somewhere for hunting.

Comment

I'd rather tinker/tune/shoot than watch whatever sportsball game is on TV.

Comment

Nope I love bow/arrow building. A good spine chart, and a targeted arrow weight are powerful fun. I love fast bows and deadly accurate flight.

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
              A lot. It's really the only way it's possible.
              Hmmm. I don't have a lot of tech knowledge but I've got hunting skills.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                I approve this thread. Hunted with shotguns and rifles for about 56 years. Bow hunted now for 34 years. Don’t know how to tweek any of em. I prefer to pay a professional other than sighting in.

This is me. I trust the techs much more than myself.

Good thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by asu-indian View Post
                  Hmmm. I don't have a lot of tech knowledge but I've got hunting skills.

[emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
                    A lot. It's really the only way it's possible.
                    I know you’re have long a little fun ��

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                      I know you’re have long a little fun ��

Any chance to Razz WCB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Agree with you, OP, 100%.

Comment

Count me in. Buy it. Have em tune it. Shoot it. I love messing with rifles. But I want to just shoot my bow. Never took interest in tinkering with it at all.

Comment

I want to be into all of it, but I get a lot more thrill from getting closer than I do from shooting further. Same logic applies whether we're talking arrows or bullets. I've done both from a long ways out on paper, but I'd rather be up close and personal when it comes to actual bloodletting.

My efforts and expenditures on the time and technicalities of long range have gotten reduced with every kid we had and new activity they've taken up. I'd rather pour my limited time and money into ranch and habitat management projects to maximize sightings and opportunities rather than increasing my range to hunt bigger and trying to shoot them from further away.

Comment

But....... I will admit that I'd be doing everything I could to maximize my bow or rifle range if I was one of the guys going on high dollar paid hunts with limited duration and opportunity.

Comment

Yep do not care to do it. I’d rather buy and take a backup bow with me in case of a problem on a hunt

Comment

Working...
                                X