No announcement yet.

Pecan tree woes - live thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got to hire the old school guys that climb up 100 ft pine trees and got nuts off steel no booms needed

Comment

Hard to see them go, but it's a great feeling once gone & the wind starts blowing. We cut down a big one this year before they leafed out. It was 20' from my house. The guy had a bucket truck, and used ropes to lower each piece down. It was nerve racking for me, but he wasn't phased at all.

I got a pretty good deal because all he had to do was cut it down. I moved the tree away with a skid steer & grapple.

Comment

Still going at 3:30. They got the critical limb over my house earlier and only a few leaves brushes the edge of the roof on the swing down. Ropes on everything so far. Hard to see angles in the pic but that big limb to the right leans out over the neighbor’s roof. That is why the bigger lift is coming in tomorrow. This guy and another who bid are the two most referred in my hood and both had the same gameplay so I trust it.

They are also cutting firewood and shredding everything else as they go so it’s been a bit noisy today. Need a cold beer over quiet water with tight lines tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Pecan tree woes - live thread

Already a big load of firewood and still have a full day of cutting. I wonder how much he gets for a cord of pecan? Gonna find out. I have a dead medium sized tree down by the river that I plan to fell later this fall and I may have to sell some of it. Found a log splitter I can borrow.

Last edited by TexaRican; 09-20-2022, 07:30 AM.

Comment

The cut down goes fast, the clean-up takes forever.
            If it was two trees that grew into one, then there will be a bark inclusion and wont make one complete table piece…itll need to be secured together. Otherwise it was one tree that got zapped at the top (cold, insects, fungus, cows) and split leaders. Ill wager that pecan tree having big pecans is a cultivated variety, that mightve come during a flood from an orchard upstream and planted itself or someone planted it. Native pecans tend to have small nuts.

The aphid honeydew is so thick here that it pools to low spots on trash cans and vehicles. Our windshield wipers were glued to our expedition windshield. This is the only time I ever wash vehicles.

Good luck on that table top MrRican. Youve got some very deep soil. Consider planting some black walnuts.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
              The cut down goes fast, the clean-up takes forever.
              If it was two trees that grew into one, then there will be a bark inclusion and wont make one complete table piece…itll need to be secured together. Otherwise it was one tree that got zapped at the top (cold, insects, fungus, cows) and split leaders. Ill wager that pecan tree having big pecans is a cultivated variety, that mightve come during a flood from an orchard upstream and planted itself or someone planted it. Native pecans tend to have small nuts.

The aphid honeydew is so thick here that it pools to low spots on trash cans and vehicles. Our windshield wipers were glued to our expedition windshield. This is the only time I ever wash vehicles.

Good luck on that table top MrRican. Youve got some very deep soil. Consider planting some black walnuts.

The tree puts out two totally different types of pecans on each side. Guy said he'd cut several slabs so I can pick what I want.

Never knew about honeydew until this and it's almost not something people would believe without seeing. Just thick and sticky everywhere. At least it's not every year.

Comment

That is some serious cutting!!

Comment

Well, my guy under bid this job. His competitor had it at 3 full days. They have at least a half day to go and maybe more. He’s asking me for relief and this was a handshake, cash deal. I paid him 2/3 today and will see where we are at lunch tomorrow. Probably help him out but I’m a bit irked that they didn’t start til nearly 11am yesterday.

Anyway, these rounds are too heavy for me to lift. Likely 200lbs each.

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
                    Well, my guy under bid this job. His competitor had it at 3 full days. They have at least a half day to go and maybe more. He’s asking me for relief and this was a handshake, cash deal. I paid him 2/3 today and will see where we are at lunch tomorrow. Probably help him out but I’m a bit irked that they didn’t start til nearly 11am yesterday.

Anyway, these rounds are too heavy for me to lift. Likely 200lbs each.

Oldest tree guy trick in the world.

Sorry, you bid it.....learn from this experience.

Comment

makes me sad to see that old pecan go....bummer

ac

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                        Oldest tree guy trick in the world.

Sorry, you bid it.....learn from this experience.

Yeah, don’t fall for that crap. Handshake is still a deal, he needs to get his *** to work on time.

Comment

Pecan wood to bbq companies is $400-$600 a cord... they take it green so hes making $$$ on the side dont give in...

Comment

They got here on time today. Have everything cut and had to go dump the trailer that filled up fast with these big rounds. Have not spoken to him about how we will end up.
                            Didn't get my table slab. Not sure if he forgot to tell the crew, just didn't have time or made a decision that it would not be worth it. I'm ok with it either way. Looking from above, it would have made a very odd peanut shape and not very attractive. It could have been done but each of those full cross cuts was taking maybe 8 to 10 minutes to complete.

Comment

Stick to the original price. I cuts and trimmed trees on the side in the summers yrs ago. I had no real clue what to charge, just kinda figured what was fair. I had many jobs that once we got into it I thought I shoulda charged more, but that was on me. I'd never go begging for more money after we agreed on the price.

Comment

Yeah 0 chance I pay him more!!

Sorry dude. Get your butt to work 3-4 hours earlier, and its a 2 day job. He gave you a quote, thats what you pay him

Comment

Working...
                                X