Seed oats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seed oats

Question for all the plot experts. This is the time to put your seed oats out correct? And then pray for rain!

We usualy do the last week in Sept or first week in Oct. in Erath County. It has worked well for us over the years.

Comment

No. It’s the time to buy your seed oats. Supposed to be a shortage this year. I just picked mine up this week. I won’t plant until mid October unless we get a significant cool down before then. Plant now and heat along with army worms will play havoc with your oats.

Comment

TAMU oats are 24.00 a 50 pound bag, I seen BOB oats in Boerne for 22.00 a bag. And before anyone comes on here recommending feed oats, they are 19.00 a bag with a 60 percent germination rate so you are not saving any money at all.

I won’t plant till late October. Army worms will eat up oats quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by HYDRO_69 View Post
          We usualy do the last week in Sept or first week in Oct. in Erath County. It has worked well for us over the years.
          Same , I want a good stand by thanksgiving

Comment

Like mentioned I’d gauge it around weather conditions depending on how dry it is in your area & forecasted rain & temps. I try and shoot for late September/early October

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
              Like mentioned I’d gauge it around weather conditions depending on how dry it is in your area & forecasted rain & temps. I try and shoot for late September/early October
              Same ! I used to plant labor day weekend whether wet or dry, but now that I’m retired and my best friend is also, we wait until the optimum time to plant. My plots are sprayed and mowed and waiting for that time. Year before last I had to replant after Army worms ate my wheat to the ground. I’m gonna try to not repeat that !

Comment

Put mine in the ground yesterday. I used Whitetail Institute Buck Forage Oats. Cost more but worth every penny. I have been using them for years and they out perform most other plot seed. Ground was moist and in good shape due to recent rains. Now we need more rain!

Comment

Always have planted the last week of September till the last few years, been holding off a few weeks to see if I can get past the worms. Them suckers will clean up some years.

Comment

I planted Labor Day weekend like I do every year for the last 35yrs. Never had an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Benno View Post
                      I planted Labor Day weekend like I do every year for the last 35yrs. Never had an issue.
                      This.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                        TAMU oats are 24.00 a 50 pound bag, I seen BOB oats in Boerne for 22.00 a bag. And before anyone comes on here recommending feed oats, they are 19.00 a bag with a 60 percent germination rate so you are not saving any money at all.

I won’t plant till late October. Army worms will eat up oats quickly.
                        How do you know feed oats are only 60% germination. Did you test them?

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                          How do you know feed oats are only 60% germination. Did you test them?
                          Go ask the guy who owns struttys in Boerne, he refused to sell us
                          Oats to plant unless they where seed oats, had his guy unload the entire trailer! Wheeler down the street was happy to sell feed oats for planting.

Comment

Who Carrie’s TAMU oats? The university? Producers?

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
                              Go ask the guy who owns struttys in Boerne, he refused to sell us
                              Oats to plant unless they where seed oats, had his guy unload the entire trailer! Wheeler down the street was happy to sell feed oats for planting.
                              Did he test them? I doubt it. Buy a bag of horse oats and test them yourself. I'll bet you'll be surprised.

Comment

Working...
                              X