Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Heading out with 40 gator tags this am.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
    You gotta knock em in the head with a stump.
    My man, Jerry!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post

That’s a bad dude. Only time he was sitting in that chair. That man did 80% of the work because he wouldn’t let me do it and I was begging to do it.

He told me he’s 85.5. Said you start to count dem half years when you get my age[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Half years....i likey!!!
      Got word today that lines went out today. I'm on standby!!!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
        pics Dave posted 10 yrs ago (9/2012)... his uncle is now 85 yrs young. He still hunts, traps, and runs lines often times by himself.
        He knows the S. LA marsh like the back of his hand and doesn't use a GPS. They definitely don't make 'em like that anymore

looking fwd to more pics from today ... thx for sharing brother
        That’s cool!! I used to get on the tugboat right there in Berwick when I was in college!

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
          You gotta knock em in the head with a stump.
          The Louisiana law gonna get you, Amos!

Comment

Originally posted by kry226 View Post
            Um, still wouldn't mind learning how you're hunting them... or is it a secret?
            The State of Louisiana Wildlife & Fisheries has a yearly quota on wild alligators. This is to keep the population in balance. Private landowners, people who lease land, and the general public apply for tags. The number of issued tags are based on the acreage owned/leased. If the land owner receives 40 tags, he needs to harvest and tag 40 alligators. If he only harvests 20 gators, he will only receive 20 tags the following year. It’s very wise to harvest all the alligator tags your given.

Most people use stinky rotten chicken quarters (leg thigh) that is baited in a large hook and suspended several feet above the water. You bait and set the lines one day, and check them for alligators the next day. The higher you hang the bait, should result in a larger gator. The ideal gator is from 7 to 9 feet. To small or to large pay less than the 7’-9’ foot slot gators.

When checking sets, it’s easy to see if a gator took the bait. The boat slowly approaches the set and looks for the line in the water. You gently pull the line up until you see the gator. When the position is right, gators are shot in the head (brain which is the size of a golf ball) with a bang stick or a pistol/rifle chambered in: 22 magnum, .380, 9mm, or 357 magnum. That the easy part. The hard part is pulling dead weight gator (125 lbs to 450 lbs) over the sides of boat. Sure some gators weigh more, but it’s not very common. Swamp People is “Hollywood drama” to entice viewers to keep watching.

Comment

Easy Peasy

Comment

We got some this weekend in Tensas parish! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4395.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	237.2 KB
ID:	24692330

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The State of Louisiana Wildlife & Fisheries has a yearly quota on wild alligators. This is to keep the population in balance. Private landowners, people who lease land, and the general public apply for tags. The number of issued tags are based on the acreage owned/leased. If the land owner receives 40 tags, he needs to harvest and tag 40 alligators. If he only harvests 20 gators, he will only receive 20 tags the following year. It’s very wise to harvest all the alligator tags your given.

Most people use stinky rotten chicken quarters (leg thigh) that is baited in a large hook and suspended several feet above the water. You bait and set the lines one day, and check them for alligators the next day. The higher you hang the bait, should result in a larger gator. The ideal gator is from 7 to 9 feet. To small or to large pay less than the 7’-9’ foot slot gators.

When checking sets, it’s easy to see if a gator took the bait. The boat slowly approaches the set and looks for the line in the water. You gently pull the line up until you see the gator. When the position is right, gators are shot in the head (brain which is the size of a golf ball) with a bang stick or a pistol/rifle chambered in: 22 magnum, .380, 9mm, or 357 magnum. That the easy part. The hard part is pulling dead weight gator (125 lbs to 450 lbs) over the sides of boat. Sure some gators weigh more, but it’s not very common. Swamp People is “Hollywood drama” to entice viewers to keep watching.

You are wrong!!!!! Swamp people, Gold Rush, Waterfall Gold Rush, Deadliest Catch and all the other shows are totally on the up and up! No outside influences or sponsor money involved!!!~ You need to repost this or I will fact check you!!!!!!

JUST THOUGHT IT WOULD BE FUN TO POST THAT. NOTHING SERIOUS THERE......
                  Last edited by tkuehn5410; 09-11-2022, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Thanks for sharing the long and short. The bang stick placement pics are cool.

What gauge hook and what kind of line is that? Id figure some bit of metal weave or core to not get bit through the line but the line pic looks like a simple poly braid.

Comment

Thank you, sir!

Comment

My buddy in SC just sent me pics of a 13.5’ gator they killed. I can’t post pictures or I’d put it up.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Oh well, it worked this time

Comment

I can smell them through the screen.

Comment

Whats the running tagged gator count?
                              How long is the season?

Good skilling MrIce.

Comment

Heading out with 40 gator tags this am.

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                                Whats the running tagged gator count?
                                How long is the season?

Good skilling MrIce.

40 for us. Tagged out on Monday. Work got in the way because I left at 5:30 this am to go dove hunting at the ranch.

I’ve got a good pic but can’t post it being at the ranch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X