IMHO, dove outfitters are some of the worst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
    That breaks down to about $1400/lb of meat factoring shells, gas, food, license, cost to hunt
    2nd highest price meat I've ever paid for.

Comment

After seeing the prices on these day hunts there are not 15 dove in the state of TX worth that kind of money period.

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter94 View Post
        Just like anything else. I have had some horrible experiences with dove outfitters and some great ones. It does suck to sit in a field with 50 other people, getting peppered and only see a few doves. All the while paying for that experience.
        Just what I was going to say. In any business there are good and bad people. Ask around and find out who’s good.

Comment

I have some friends who are really avid dove hunters and also have lots of money to spend. For the last 10 years or so they lease 2-3 fields for the season and pay somebody to plant sunflowers and wheat then shred at the proper time. I get invited as a guest 4-5 times every season. The outfitter that sets it up scouts the fields a couple times a week and sends a report via text. Great way to do it if you love dove hunting and have deep pockets. I’m guessing they pay $1,500 or more each for the season and will hunt through October if there’s birds around.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
            More than once, but not recently. I was put on a 5 acre lot in Seally proper one time with 25 other people and, what birds there were were a million miles high. Another time, I booked a hunt up near Corsicana. The outfitter showed up an hour late and there were no birds whatsoever.
            Sealy area Outfiters must have it tough. Hear more bad stories than anything about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
              Posta Del Norte! They are a ORVIS rated lodge but very reasonable. I also went to another place but cant remember the name. It was also nice but not like these folks.
              https://www.postadelnorte.com/the-lo...sta-del-norte/

This is where we go, too. In fact, we were there about six weeks ago and it was our third trip back. Always plenty of dove, wonderful accommodations, a fully stocked bar (and all the Malbec you can drink), and wonderful food.

We’ve considered other places in Argentina, but we just keep going back to Posta. Their sister lodge is Las Chañares. Haven’t been there, but wouldn’t hesitate to go if Posta wasn’t available.

Have some friends that hunt somewhere in the Salta province each year. But the CDC recommends you get the Yellow Fever and Zika vaccines, so we’re just going to stick to Córdoba.

Comment

We just got back from an epic dove hunt with Double Eagle Expeditions in Piedras Negras Mexico. Give Humberto Gomez a call. Great outfitter and great guy. He’s got plenty of birds and tons of references.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                  I have some friends who are really avid dove hunters and also have lots of money to spend. For the last 10 years or so they lease 2-3 fields for the season and pay somebody to plant sunflowers and wheat then shred at the proper time. I get invited as a guest 4-5 times every season. The outfitter that sets it up scouts the fields a couple times a week and sends a report via text. Great way to do it if you love dove hunting and have deep pockets. I’m guessing they pay $1,500 or more each for the season and will hunt through October if there’s birds around.

I’m what part of the State are they doing this?

Comment

yeah this does not just go for dove hunts but any hunts - it is sad there are some really bogus outfitters out there - some good ones but they are outnumbered by the bad IMO - do your homework

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                      I’m what part of the State are they doing this?
                      North - between Albany and Abilene

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                        2nd highest price meat I've ever paid for.
                        Good grief you have expensive taste
                        Reminds me of the old Foxworthy video calculating his deer meat cost
                        It’s the experience that counts

Comment

Maybe try renting a BnB that will also let you dove hunt?

I just had this thought. We don't sell hunts anymore but do rent the cabin through AirBnB. We never have a lot of birds but if you're a good shot should get 5-12 in the evening.

But I bet there are a few rural BnBs that would allow this. I stayed at one with a shooting range once. 50/50 he'd have let me dove hunt it I wanted to.

Would be a cheat hunt considering you'd have a place to stay and the place to yourself.

Comment

I remember once when I was younger we got permission to shoot dove on some land that a older friend of ours owned. Well I didn’t know my friend was day leasing it to college students. The owner actually showed up while we were hunting and my friend said all the other shooters were friends of his.

Comment

I have had good luck with Mark Roberts - Uvalde - he will tell you if he has no birds and cancel hunt with refund

This year had limits both days on opener

Comment

Originally posted by SJP51 View Post
                                There are some good ones. THE ONE TO AVOID: Alan Mooreshouse. This sorry sucker runs hunts out of the Waco area.

What a ****. Actually took us to a field that he did not have under contract. Owner showed up and the fireworks started. Other time had hunters spaced 15-yards apart on a field too small.
                                I worked for Allen for 8 years, I am going to go ahead and call BS on this one. But you dont have to worry anymore, he hasn't guided dove hunts in a while.
                                Last edited by npe001; 09-07-2022, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X