No announcement yet.

Unreal Hunting/Fishing Stories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shot a limit of doves back in high school on a Saturday evening. Had somewhere to go so I came home and put them in a paper bag and into the fridge to clean the next day. My mom, who was deathly afraid of anything with feathers, opens the fridge and sees the paper bag. She opens it and a dove flew out of there and through the kitchen until my dad caught it and finished it off. This was way before cell phones, but if she could have gotten ahold of me I am sure there would have been a nice conversation!!

Comment

Liberty County lease in 2012. I was hunting a popup overlooking a fence crossing. Hunting deer or hogs. All of a sudden this guy walked by without stopping. I squeaked/kissed at him a few time after he was out of sight. I drew back my bow just in case. Sho Nuff, Hands Down, Good Grief, RIP he stepped back into the opening and looked at me. rip rip rip

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
        Never let the truth get in the way of a good campfire story.
        Is that the GOF clubs motto?

Comment

Originally posted by jmac24 View Post
          Shot a limit of doves back in high school on a Saturday evening. Had somewhere to go so I came home and put them in a paper bag and into the fridge to clean the next day. My mom, who was deathly afraid of anything with feathers, opens the fridge and sees the paper bag. She opens it and a dove flew out of there and through the kitchen until my dad caught it and finished it off. This was way before cell phones, but if she could have gotten ahold of me I am sure there would have been a nice conversation!!
          Haaa, made me laugh because I did something very close except with bullfrogs. Been out gigging them at night and had 15-20 in a burlap sack and just put them in the garage fridge and left to go do something. My Mom about had a heart attack when she opened up that bag. I got en earfull when I got home.

Comment

in

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
              I was hunting one weekend. It was SLOW. Not much activity. I heard something tearing through the brush. Crashing! Lots of commotion. I have my gun ready to shoot a P&Y DEER. Out of the brush comes a Doe running full speed. And 3 dogs chasing her. Not one of the dogs barking. They were in a dead sprint. About as quick as they came through they were gone. While walking back to the truck my friend comes up from the opposite side of the property. Saying you're never gonna believe this!!?? I said what, 3 dogs chasing a doe? His look was priceless.
              This reminds me of an experience I had one time. I was sitting in a popup and heard all hell breaking loose coming at me. I thought for sure a 160" deer was coming. A couple of seconds later a rabbit in full sprint goes under the blind and hides in the corner staring at me. A couple more seconds later and here comes Wylie Coyote tearing thru the brush. He stopped about 40 yards from the stand and looked around in disbelief that the rabbit had just disappeared. He didn't come any closer and didn't stay long so I didn't get a shot. I could see the relief in that rabbits eyes....

That also reminds me of a time I was sitting in an old cattle panel/carpet blind. It was pretty big and I couldn't reach the sides (where my gun was) without reaching over. Anyway, a buddy had texted me and I was looking down at my phone when I caught movement out of the corner of my eye in the back of the blind. Here came mister 4' rattlesnake to join me in the blind. The way everything was situated I couldn't reach my gun without sticking my leg out right in his face. So, I jumped to the front of the blind, away from the gun... This caused him to coil up and stare at me. It seemed like 10 minutes (was probably less than 10 seconds) with him staring and me shaking like a school girl. Finally I decided I could reach my backpack so I grabbed it which caused him to rattle. I threw my backpack at him, he struck at the backpack and then headed out of the blind. As he was leaving I grabbed my gun and fired a shot but I don't think I was close to hitting it. I was so shook up I left the blind and walked back to camp.

Comment

My grandpa shot a buck 10 or so years ago that wouldn't quite make the minimum spread for Angelina county. I showed him a picture of the buck and told him not to shoot it. He said the minimum spread was more of a suggestion than a rule.

So of course he drops it in his tracks that morning. Luckily when he was walking up on it a few minutes later it jumped up and took off. Showed back up a few weeks later with a scar near the top of his back and was still alive a few years later when we got off the lease.

Comment

I'm gonna start this off with the "yal aint gonna believe this...." I think I have actually told this story on here before. Anyway here goes. This took place when I was in high school..not sure what age I was but mid to late 90's.
                  I started bowhunting when I was 13 yrs old in Mississippi. That's where I'm from. In my earlier years we used poison pods on our arrows. It was legal and we all did it. I'm not debating here on pro or against poison, but it was common in MS. I haven't shot poison since I was in high school so I don't even know if its legal still. That being said it is a big part of this story.
                  One morning I had a doe come in early...it was foggy and I couldn't see real clear, but clear enough to know it was a mature doe. We had some does to kill and we liked to kill them early season, so I let it fly. Looked like a good hit (I heard the thwack!) and she ran a little ways..stopped...and did the old wobble and fall. I thought, great...a pass thru shot and she is dead within seeing distance. I could see her white belly laid up.
                  It was early, so I decided to hunt a little bit to see if a buck would be moving in later. I had one on the ground and it wouldn't hurt to see what else came in.
                  After 1.5hours if sitting there staring at the "dead" doe's white belly...she starts kicking. I was like what the heck!! She kicks around a little, sits up, then finally stands up and freaking walks off.
                  This was out of bow range, but I could still see everything that was going on. I couldn't believe what I just saw happen. I didn't hunt much longer, got down and went to retrieve my arrow. Looks like the shot was low and it grazed her just enough to get some poison in her blood system. It literally put her to sleep for 1.5hrs and when it wore off she was fine. People to this day still don't believe this, but it happened.

Comment

Had a pintail flying directly over me and a couple buddies once. We all shot simultaneously and the body fell right next to us, a few seconds later the head fell down too.

Had a guy tell me once growing up his dad was on a lease with some "Dallas Guys", they were known locally as having more money than sense. Around the campfire one night they had joked that you could probably catch a lot of turkey with popcorn on a trotline. Well a few weeks later they get a call from the lease manager that they all needed to get to the lease ASAP to use their turkey tags on all these turkeys one of the "Dallas Guys" has got. Apparently he didn't understand they were joking and had strung a trotline from the trees around his feeder and had turkeys with a hook down their throat strung up across the whole thing. Needless to say nobody was happy that they had to spend all their tags to bail this guy out of trouble.

Had an old couple tell me once that when they were younger they had a buck frozen in their headlights a few feet in front of the truck. Apparently the husband thought it would be fun to see if he could sneak up and bulldog the thing to the ground. Well he got ahold of the buck and then quickly realized it was gonna be more fight than he anticipated. He said he was scared to let go because the buck was using him up with its hooves but all he had handy was a pocket knife. He said he just got to stabbing and stabbing and stabbing and eventually he killed the buck but was all cut up himself and had a couple broke ribs. He said he was never doing that again lol.

The same guy as above was fearless even in his older years, I saw him pick of several rattlesnakes by hand and walk around like they were nothing. He said when he was a boy him and his buddies used to catch and sale them. For fun they used to apparently throw them at each other and try to catch their tales as they came by...........

Comment

Popping - that sounds like my kind of fun guys!

Comment

Was fishing at a family friends tank one summer when I was visiting from College, sitting there catching some nice bass when I looked over and saw what was probably 100-150 pound hog walking up to the tank. Crouched down and upon further inspection noticed he had a clubbed foot and a broken leg on the other side. Wasn't too far from the city limits and didn't plan on needing a gun at 1pm in the afternoon, so I was left defenseless. Tried to get ahold of the landowner to bring a gun down, but he wasn't picking up. So I did what any 19 year old would do, and found a couple decent sized stones I could chunk at him. Snuck up to probably 10 yards from him and slung my first rock at him, cracked that poor guy right in the temple. He tore off towards some brush with me hauling right behind him, I eventually caught up to him in some mesquites and he decided it was time to square off. Face to face at maybe 6-7 yards, I give him another whack to the temple with a rock, threw a couple more and finally got him to the ground. By that time, the rancher had rolled up and we put a .223 in him to finish the job. Not too proud of the ethics of that kill, but like to think I was putting the poor guy out of some misery. But to this date the only person I know to kill a boar with a rock!

Comment

I mostly hunt public land and have for the last 16 years. I had a hunt I was using a very old
                          Logging road to access a transition line holding a handful of deer on my way on I spot said group of deer feeding off the edge of a pine thicket. I was using my old 30-30 marlin open sight and decided to sneak inside of 100 yards. I was creeping on the tree line when I seen a buck. I could tell he was legal and pulled up aim and shoot and click. It was a dud. I actioned another round in and the deer took off. I pulled up and slung one as he was running away. The bullet back doored his dome and split it in half rolling him. Couldn’t give you an exact measurement of his width.

I was hunting a creek very thick could see maybe 25 yards in there. I was in a heavily used doe trail and aimed to do just that take a doe out. 30 min before dark I hear them walking to me so I grab the bow and roll camera. As she’s stepping into my 12 yard window she’s slow walking and I released as soon as her shoulder hit my pin. She ducked and turned I heard a pop but knew instantly wasn’t her shoulder. I had no clue where I hit her go back to camp and grab my dog. Tracked the deer for 1 mile and found her dead within 200 yards from my stand. I hit her in the neck broadhead split
                          Her diaphragm and she bled out runnin. I couldn’t believe it still can’t till this day

Comment

Years ago, I took a shot at a doe that was under my feeder. I pulled the shot and hit a feeder leg. The doe jumped straight up and came down flat on her belly deader than a door nail. There were no holes in her. I think she had a heart attack.

Comment

Many years ago bowfishing late one night, a mallard duck took off in front of the boat and one of the guys there smoked it out of the air at about 15 yards. One of those shots where when he drew back, everybody just knew it was going to be a hit.

Above rock/pig story reminded me of my brother and I chasing down cottontails on a four-wheeler. He stoned one with a rock while riding on the front rack doing 10-15mph. He was maybe 7 at the time.

A buddy of mine took his younger brother (5 or 6yrs old at the time) 'bird hunting' with his BB gun. He pointed into a random bush, pulled the trigger and a tweedy bird fell out.

While duck hunting, a buddy and I had two teal land at grey light and with the slow season, we decided to skillet shoot them. I killed mine and he somehow missed- turns out they were both cinnamon teal drakes; I still haven't let him live that down. Hi Bob

Comment

Slow day of bow hunting once, was sitting in a tripod and a squirrel comes out and sits on a knot on an oak tree across the clearing. Ranged it at 30 yards…figured what the heck I’ll try it. Stuck a head shot on the little bugger. Then realized I now had to crawl up the tree to retrieve my arrow because he was skewered to it.
                                I could probably never pull that off again.

Last year I managed to pull off a double head shot on two little 60-80lb swine. Turned out to be harder than I anticipated because they wouldn’t sit still long. Chalked that one up to a rifle that shoots better than I can.

Comment

Working...
                                X