No announcement yet.

Talk to your kids about Fentanyl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Every highschool in TX is flooded in fentanyl. Sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
      FWIW there is a vid going around SM that a mom picked up a folded dollar bill to put in her kid's piggy bank had fentanyl (after calling LE & testing) inside...just a psa.

Not fentanyl, that’s how it works sir.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
        FWIW there is a vid going around SM that a mom picked up a folded dollar bill to put in her kid's piggy bank had fentanyl (after calling LE & testing) inside...just a psa.
        I don’t follow

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
          If Mexico were invading us with their military, planes, artillery, etc. we would destroy them. So tell me what the difference is ? They are slowly destroying us and we don’t do chit ! I guess if we’re that stupid we deserve it.
          It's becuz Americans want the drugs and we empower them and finance them. If America didn't want any drugs tmrw, the richest cartel would turn Into crackheads in about a month.

Comment

Lost my sister in law this year to it. Sad deal. Mostly for the ones left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
              I don’t follow

2mg or 1/50th of a sweet and low packet is a fatal dose. If you touch even a small amount and it absorbs into your skin you dead. LE and EMS have died providing CPR to those ODing on it.

Comment

Lost my nephew to it last year.

I’ve never understood why someone crosses the line. One of the reasons I’ve never smoked marajuana. I’m pretty sure that’s how he died.

Comment

Originally posted by CrownKiller14 View Post
                  That's a bad argument.
                  Amount of people using/smoking weed in the US around 20%+ I would be willing to bet 99% of those don't move on to harder drugs.

Now of the 100k a year that do die from OD most probably did start with weed, that's because it was the first drug they could get their hands on.

To that note another 100k a year also die from cirrhosis of the liver. Likely started with "just beer"

Also in the US around 1.5 million people die every year from diabetes. I wonder if we should say it was "just a cupcake"

I'm not here to defend the Mary J, but lets at least consistent in that it's not the chemicals. It's an individuals decision making that controls the outcome of their life.

-- Sorry for the off topic rant. .
                  I am afraid you would lose that bet if you rolled with 99%. You said it yourself in your second sentence. But I do agree with your conclusion at the end.

Comment

My 20 year old stepson just got a “street drugs might kill you or your friends its just not safe speech“. I hope everybody's families stay safe. This thread is needed unfortunately. I had heard the Cartels were working to take fentanyl out about 6 months ago. That info was bad

Comment

Originally posted by bobby314 View Post
                      It's becuz Americans want the drugs and we empower them and finance them. If America didn't want any drugs tmrw, the richest cartel would turn Into crackheads in about a month.
                      This has been my argument for quite a while now. Cut out the demand and the supply goes away, until then someone will supply it. Unfortunately, I truly believe that is with the assistance of our government officials.

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
                        2mg or 1/50th of a sweet and low packet is a fatal dose. If you touch even a small amount and it absorbs into your skin you dead. LE and EMS have died providing CPR to those ODing on it.

That’s still not how it works. It’s not a caustic substance that eats into your skin. This IS NOT some huge danger to EMS/LEO. It is just not. But what is a danger (to the person not breathing) is responders, primarily LEO, being scared this will happen to them because of misinformation like this.

Imagine this- 16yo kid at high school tried a drug for the first time, that drug ends up being fentanyl or some other opioid. School resource officer arrives first to find this kid not breathing in the bathroom and even though he has narcan available to him he is scared to administer it because people keep sharing false information. EMS arrives 5-15 min at least later and takes over breathing for the kid then gives narcan. Might wake the kid up but now he has a brain injury due to not breathing for however long, or kid is in cardiac arrest due to the lack of breathing and we can’t get the kid back. All could have been solved by the officer not reading bad information.

Many times officers aren’t scared to administer narcan but I have seen officers that delayed this because of this exact thing.

Comment

I keep reiterating that this IS NOT a huge danger to police officers. I would hate for any of our fellow TBH brothers in blue to read this thread and come out with the misunderstanding that if they run across an overdose they will be in some immense danger!!! Please if you are an officer and would like me to explain this in more in depth and or explain how to administer narcan PM me. If you are an officer and your agency does not provide narcan please advocate for it. It’s not just junkies who OD. It’s our kids and family members.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy7306 View Post
                            That’s still not how it works. It’s not a caustic substance that eats into your skin. This IS NOT some huge danger to EMS/LEO. It is just not. But what is a danger (to the person not breathing) is responders, primarily LEO, being scared this will happen to them because of misinformation like this.

Imagine this- 16yo kid at high school tried a drug for the first time, that drug ends up being fentanyl or some other opioid. School resource officer arrives first to find this kid not breathing in the bathroom and even though he has narcan available to him he is scared to administer it because people keep sharing false information. EMS arrives 5-15 min at least later and takes over breathing for the kid then gives narcan. Might wake the kid up but now he has a brain injury due to not breathing for however long, or kid is in cardiac arrest due to the lack of breathing and we can’t get the kid back. All could have been solved by the officer not reading bad information.

Many times officers aren’t scared to administer narcan but I have seen officers that delayed this because of this exact thing.

Sorry bro Im a former narcotics agent. You are wrong.

Comment

Ok

Comment

Pulled from my link above, I guess toxicologist are wrong too?

Dermal Exposure Risk for Fentanyl and Fentanyl Analogs
                                Fentanyl is amenable to transdermal absorption because of its low molecular weight and lipophilicity [19, 20]. Depending on the specific product, transdermal delivery systems (“patches”) take 3-13 hours to produce a therapeutic serum fentanyl concentration and 35 hours to reach peak concentration [21-24]. Absorption of liquid or aqueous fentanyl increases with larger surface area of application, duration of application, broken skin, and heat. The physical properties of fentanyl analogs are similar to fentanyl, suggesting potential for dermal absorption. In a small volunteer study, sufentanil citrate applied to the forearm and covered in an occlusive dressing was absorbed comparably to fentanyl, although exact bioavailability was not determined [25].
                                However, incidental dermal absorption is unlikely to cause opioid toxicity. If bilateral palmar surfaces were covered with fentanyl patches, it would take approximately 14 minutes to receive 100 mcg of fentanyl [using a body surface area of 17,000 cm2​ ​, palm surface area of 0.5% [26], and fentanyl absorption of 2.5 mcg/cm2​ ​/h [24]. This extreme example illustrates that even a high dose of fentanyl prepared for transdermal administration cannot rapidly deliver a high dose.

The above calculation is based on fentanyl patch data, which overestimates the potential exposure from drug in tablet or powder form in several ways. Drug must have sufficient surface area and moisture to be efficiently absorbed. Medicinal transdermal fentanyl utilizes a matrix designed to optimize delivery, whereas tablets and powder require dissolution for absorption. Relatedly, powdered drug sits on the skin, whereas patches have adhesive to hold drug in close proximity to the skin allowing both to remain moist. Finally, the above quoted figure 2.5 mcg/cm2​ ​/h represents delivery at steady state after drug has penetrated the dermis, which overestimates the amount of absorption in the first few minutes of dermal exposure. This initial period is of most relevance in unintentional exposure, because fentanyl that is observed on skin can be rapidly removed by mechanical (brushing) means or cleansing with water.. Therefore, based on our current understanding of the absorption of fentanyl and its analogs, it is very unlikely that small, unintentional skin exposures to tablets or powder would cause significant opioid toxicity, and if toxicity were to occur it would not develop rapidly, allowing time for removal.

Comment

Working...
                                X