No announcement yet.

How's my trim look?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I cook a lot of briskets. That trim looks good. I’m like the others though. Get that fat out of the point. That’s the hardest to render. That is a nice looking brisket. I hope it turns out great.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
      You trimmed off $30 worth of brisket. I trim a little off but don’t go overboard with it.
      I tend to agree with you. There are too many YT videos of people trimming competition briskets. They will take a 15 pound brisket and trim it down to an 8 pound brisket to make perfect slices and cook faster. I trim most of the fat in between the point and the flat and leave 1/4 inch on the back. I will trim a little lean off the sides if necessary, but not get too carried away with squaring up the flat. Brisket is too expensive to be trimming off too much lean unless you have a meat grinder to take care of the trimmings.

I`ll bet that brisket cooks just fine though. It`s all about how YOU like it. Not all of us keyboard butchers. Oh..... by the way. I am a real butcher.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
        Wrong thread. Sorry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Too aggressive for me. I leave 1/4 inch on there.

Comment

You cut all the good stuff off.

Comment

I think it all depends on how you want the finished brisket to be. When I did competition we took all the fat off the whole thing. The reason I did it that was was I didn't want to turn in pieces with fat on them---if you trim the fat off after they cook then all your bark and seasoning just got trimmed also.

I still trim all/most of the fat off both sides. If I sliced a piece with the fat on it my family cuts it off before they eat it.

But they are right, get that fat that is hard---it does nothing when you cook it.

Comment

Good stuff here, appreciate it. For all those expecting pics of a trimmed garden, sorry for letting you down

I was going for pill-shaped, no hard edges, all curves, 1/4" fat on the fat side. I really didn't have to take much fat off the fat side. The butcher did a really good job. The part I was most curious about was the part everyone is seeming to mention, the fat between the point and flat.

Once I posted this it had already been seasoned and vacuum sealed. It'll go on the smoker Saturday. This is a great opportunity to turn the point into burnt ends. That fat between the two will get rendered as much as possible and then I'll separate once it's done.

Comment

Little more than I'd trim, but nothing wrong with that. Save all of what you trim. Vacuum pack it. Or make tallow. I do 20-30 briskets a month. PM me your address. I'll send you some of my beef rub.

Comment

From the title, I thought it would be a manscape thread.

Comment

Looks good if that’s what you like. I leave a little more on but that’s just me. The important thing now is render that fat down for beef tallow.

Comment

But did you sniff your fingers afterwards?

Comment

I thought this was surely going to be about your wife/girlfriend.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                              Wrong thread. Sorry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Lol…..this is where I was at!

Comment

I trim but not that much. I do take some out of the point. I leave quite a bit on the flat. I like a little bit in my sliced sandwiches.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X