Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buffalo1 View Post
    Forget about KE you want MO to be at least .500

So I need to find a new setup since my MO is .49?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
      you guys do realize that FOC is just a balance point for the arrow. And to make the number climb you have to get crazy heavy on the front end with overweighted broadheads, weighted inserts, half outs, full outs, pull outs and so on. And this in turn means you have to shoot a stiffer arrow which equated to more grains per inch of weight, which gives you an overall heavier arrow. Its all in the presentation of how much of what gives you an advantage.

Shoot what you have, keep your shots within your skill level, and hit where the killing spot is, and youll be fine.

Good luck in your chase.

I’m confident out to 80 no problem. You think if I stay off the shoulder I’ll be fine?

Comment

KE is over rated bow hunting, your letting the air out of them, not knocking them down. Just make sure you shoot a sharp BH.

Comment

Personally, not trying to dispute others because arrow weight & speed are factors but what it comes down to is the transfer of that energy at impact. Too maximize that energy transfer axially depends on factors like contact surface area, how much flex or bend in the arrow at impact, & in-plane on a zero axis or not. These of course are somewhat challenging to control

Comment

When did deer and elk get so tough we had to resort to using mega weight arrows and big single bevel heads to kill them?

People need to stop listening to YouTubers and Instagram influencers, piles and piles of elk and even more deer have fallen to arrows in the 400-500 grain class with 100 grain broadheads.

Comment

Lots of opinions here, always a good read. Regardless of what side of the fence you are on in the Great Arrow Debate of 22’ I hate to see people questioning their setups close to season. Like most things in life confidence goes a long way to providing consistent success, any impingement on that process can open the window to less than optimal results. Best be having these discussions early Spring IMO so you can make sure it’s sorted proper.

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
                That's all you need on an elk, barring extreme quartering shots. I know you didn't find that elk, but I'd nearly guarantee it died.
                I kept thinking about this exact thing all day. 19” is still alot of penetration. I was trying to imagine the penetration of a good shot with that mentioned setup.
                Last edited by Briar Friar; 08-08-2022, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                  I’m confident out to 80 no problem. You think if I stay off the shoulder I’ll be fine?

Per this and the calculator…youre in the black. Way in the black.

Coincidentally I was thinking of a self experiment for you MrRTP. Get a wet cow scapula and shoot it at 60 yards. See where your penetration lies. Full broadhead penetration and over would give me super warms and fuzzies.

Comment

without getting into all the phrases that describe this or that while elk hunting I will tell you that a skinny shaft that is heavy in front and has low profile fletching will travel better in high wind. a long shot while elk hunting may be in a very windy environment. Start here. The benefit of this setup is that the penetration is very good at long distance.

Comment

I'm a big proponent of heavy arrows with cut on contact heads, because it is what I like. I shoot 650 total arrow weight.

My buddy shoots lighter arrows about 450 total arrow weight. His last elk he shot turned at the shot and his "light" arrow went in just behind the shoulder and stuck out the bulls hind quarter, hanging on by the fletching.

We have never been able to tell which critter was deader after the shot. My best advise is shoot the setup you have and are comfortable with and you'll be fine. Just don't shoot the shoulder and it'll die.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post

I ran the numbers and came up with purple eskimo school bus! Im guessing I didnt do it correctly.
                        Lol, that is the exact answer I was looking for!

I like the wet cow scapula idea. I think if at 60 yards your setup can penetrate through that, you'd be in good shape.

That calculation is just that, a calculation and, IMO, lacks a multitude of variables that matter in bow hunting/shooting. The above test should give you some "warm and fuzzies." Good luck on your hunt bud!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
                          Lots of opinions here, always a good read. Regardless of what side of the fence you are on in the Great Arrow Debate of 22’ I hate to see people questioning their setups close to season. Like most things in life confidence goes a long way to providing consistent success, any impingement on that process can open the window to less than optimal results. Best be having these discussions early Spring IMO so you can make sure it’s sorted proper.

Very valid point. Unfortunately this didnt cross my mind until a few days ago. Ive killed a large herd bull with this setup two years ago. That arrow zipped through him like hot butter........however it was a 15 yard shot I lucked into. I also agree about the confidence factor but that is a department I dont lack.

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                          http://bugle.rmef.org/html5_viewer/i...articleBrowser

Per this and the calculator…youre in the black. Way in the black.

Coincidentally I was thinking of a self experiment for you MrRTP. Get a wet cow scapula and shoot it at 60 yards. See where your penetration lies. Full broadhead penetration and over would give me super warms and fuzzies.

I like the idea but I think my neighbor might get ****** if he sees one of his cows missing a scapula.

Comment

I'm telling ya, you're overthinking the h-e double hockeysticks out of this. Iron Will wides are excellent penetrating heads. They get razor sharp. They've killed elk for you already.

If your bow is tuned, be done with it. It will kill at whatever distance you can shoot an elk.

Spend that worry time on something more productive... like which flavor of mountain house is the least destructive to your gut!

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
                              I'm telling ya, you're overthinking the h-e double hockeysticks out of this. Iron Will wides are excellent penetrating heads. They get razor sharp. They've killed elk for you already.

If your bow is tuned, be done with it. It will kill at whatever distance you can shoot an elk.

Spend that worry time on something more productive... like which flavor of mountain house is the least destructive to your gut!

I’m done thinking about it. Enjoyed the conversation though. I’m staying with what I have and if it doesn’t get the job done it will be the Indian’s fault and not the arrow’s.

My neighbor gave me 2 of his arrows to use and compare so I spent sometime doing just that this morning. My arrow is a 400 gr micro diameter and his are standard diameter at 468 and 493 gr.

At 60 yards his two arrows we nearly identical in penetration each time. The lighter one was getting about 1/4-1/2” more than the heavier one on avg. My arrow was getting no less than 3” more penetration each round. I’m guessing since those calculators aren’t taking into account small diameter and foc they can be off some.

The other negative is the amount of drop those two arrows had at 60 yards vs mine, 14&17” respectively.

I was also told the small diameter is going to be less affected by wind as well.

I may play around with changing things up after this hunt but for now I’m 100% confident this arrow will do the job if I do my part.

Comment

I've only killed 2 elk with my bow.. 450 grain arrow at 295 fps. One with a magnus stinger at 35 yards and one with a rage trypan at 55 yards.. both pass throughs . A ton more blood from the trypan.. Both elk dead inside of 100 yards. I do shoot a ton of big hogs which to me are just as tough if not tougher than elk .Imo there's nothing wrong with what you have planned. Matching a good Broadhead to your setup is more important Which you already did .I'd be more worried about my fixed blade not flying well because of bad form caused by the terrain.. 80 yards on flat ground is one thing but standing side hill trying to shoot will screw your form up big time.. This close to season I'd shoot what you have.
                                Last edited by jds247; 08-09-2022, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X