Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the craziest thing you've seen on the side of the road?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About 20 years ago we were passing through Orange on I-10 about 4:30 in the morning heading to a duck lease in China. Before we got to the main exit in Orange, which is city... all concrete. I could see ahead what I knew was police lights, but on the left. So, I was expecting to see something bad being on the left. As we get closer, (on the left median or grass) there is an old couple in front of their car looking down with the officer. They were looking at a very nice 8 or 10 point buck. Must have been the neighborhood buck.

Comment

My wife has pics of the women. Totally freaked her out.

Comment

Driving home my senior year of high school from a midnight movie premiere at Tinseltown in Beaumont in either 2005 or 2006. Was driving down Walden Road going to drop one of my buddies off at his house. There was almost no one on the road, besides one car slightly behind us and to the side. About a 1/2 mile ahead of us you could see taillights parked in the road. As we got closer the car ahead put their car in gear and took off. When we got within a hundred yards or so you could see something laying in the road. I started to slow down and the car beside me came up directly beside me and we both saw it at the same time and slammed on our brakes. It was a woman, dead. The car that I had seen ahead parked was her estranged husband who had just killed her and dumped her body out in the road.

About 2017 I was doing oil and gas work in the Jackson County Courthouse. I would drive home to Beaumont most weekends. This week was no different and I was in what I called the "death gauntlet" between Wharton and Sugarland. I was actually right about Kendleton. There was a brief stretch of road where there was actually a shoulder on the right side of the road for about a mile. I was driving behind an 18 wheeler when I saw something kick up from underneath it by its back tires and fly through the air and land on the shoulder. At first I thought it must've had a full blow out and it was one of it's tires. As I passed it by I quickly realized what it was and swerved to avoid it and then slammed on my breaks as quick as I could. I got to the shoulder and took off running back towards it, while dialing 911. What I had thought was a tire was actually a person. When I got up to the person I expected them to be dead after being run over by the back tires of the semi. Much to my surprise he wasn't and was trying to get up but was in bad shape. I begged him to stay down but there was a language barrier. He had I believe Guatemalan money falling out of his pocket. What I had seen was an illegal stowed up underneath the semi and he had fallen out and then was run over by the back tires that then threw him through the air and luckily landed in an area with a slight shoulder so he wasn't hit again. They shutdown 59 and called in life flight and landed right there. I had to give my statement and describe the 18 wheeler because it hadn't stopped. After about an hour I was able to leave. Right about when I was pulling into Sugarland, I see red and blues all up ahead and they have the exact same type of truck pulled over and surrounded. I've tried to look up and see what happened to the man who was run over or the man driving the 18 wheeler but have never been able to find anything.

Comment

Was on the 101 in Hollywood with the family on vacation. Car went flying past on the left side of us. All of a sudden the passenger front tire came off and the car made a hard right across 6 lanes of traffic. Smashed through the guardrail and was headed down the embankment. The car wedged between the only two trees on the hill and it kept them from going off a cliff to the road below. Folks in side were fine but couldn’t get out of the doors because the trees.

Was on FM 521 just north of Rosharon and came across two horses that had been hit by cars early one morning.

Comment

2 dead folks. One was from trailer wobble. Flipped his S10 and ejected him. No seat belt.
            The other one jumped out of the car at 60 mph. The driver turned left running her over with the rear wheel...

Comment

I once saw a LEO pass a do-nut shop and did not stop

Comment

1. An elephant in the woods around Cut and Shoot, TX. Was in a sleepy stupor driving home from a fishing trip. Turned around and sure enough, live elephant. Circus performer property or something like that.

2. Sitting in the showroom eating lunch at work one day with some coworkers in downtown Tomball. Lady walks a mountain lion on a leash, down the street in front of our building.

3. Guy around Magnolia used to drive his pet black bear around in the back of his dually. Think he owned a concrete or construction business.

Comment

The dune stuff reminded me of a crazy incident we encountered years ago. A buddy of mine, a year or two after we got out of high school back in the late 80s, were fishing both Horace Caldwell or Bob Hall pier most every night. We caught some nice fish, he hung into a huge shark one night.

We were in Port A. one night, coming back from the pier somewhere between 2:00 AM and 3:00 AM. We were driving down a windy access road, closest to the pier, headed back towards Port A.

I was driving my Mustang, I only had it a few months at that time, so this had to have been 1989. We see an old woman completely naked running down the road, towards us. She was screaming, and running. I was probably going 15 mph, she just ran right past us, like we were not there. I stopped the car and looked at my buddy, he said we should go back and see if she needs help. My thought, was, I don't want that naked old woman sitting in my new car. Lets just wave down a cop, once we get into Port A., and tell them. My buddy kept saying we should go back, I kept thinking no, I don't want her in my car.
                  The woman looked like she was probably in her 60s, but being a Port A native, she may have only been in her 40s. Back then drugs, such as heroin and alcohol were what most of the locals, that we called Port A. or AP natives, used most of the time. Basically these people would work whatever odd jobs, they would typically work as deck hands, on the shrimp boats, for months. The guys typically were very dark tanned, skin like leather, probably none of them weighed over 130 lbs. Usually never wore shirts, just cut off blue jeans, maybe some cheap shoes. They probably bounced around in the many cheap hotels in AP and Port A.

Being around Aransas Pass and Port A all the time, fishing a lot, we ran into these types a lot. They were typically pretty tough. Typically looked a lot older than they actually were. Most looked like they were in their 60s or 70s, but were probably in their 40s, maybe even 30s.

Since it was my car and I was driving, I decided we would inform Port A. police about the woman running down the access road. So we started rolling again, we drove around the next curve and there was an old guy Port A. native, probably weighed 115 lbs. Obviously drunk, looking extremely POed. He was walking along with a cigarette hanging from his mouth and a quart bottle of beer in one hand. He had on cut off jeans and maybe some shoes. So it took us about 1/2 second to realize this is why the old woman was running down the road naked and screaming. So I stopped, we got out of the car and started walking towards the guy. We started asking him what the hell was going on. He yelled none of our business. We told him nope, not the case. I told him to come here, he yelled F you, then threw his quart bottle at me. Then turned and ran into the dunes.

We are thinking, we are both 20 years old and in very good shape, this guy looks like he is 65. We are going to catch him quick and beat his azz. My buddy was 6' 1" or 6' 2", 150 lbs. and could run very fast for a long time. I could only run very fast for a short distance. We are not going to have any problem catching this old Port A. native. We took off running flat out after this guy. By the time we got over the second sand dune, I could tell that Port A. native looked like one of those water walkers running on water. We were sinking into the dune sand every step. That guy was staying on top of the sand and hauling butt. By the top of the third dune, that guy was nowhere in sight. He flat out smoked us. There was a full moon that night, so we could see a long ways in the dunes. By the time we got to the top of the third dune, we could not see the old dune rat anywhere.

So we made it back to my car, then my buddy convinced me to go back and look for the old woman and give her a ride. So we drove back towards the beach, on the access road. We went all the way back to the beach, drove around on the beach a little ways in each direction, never found her. So we went home.

We learned, don't even waste your time, trying to chase those old Port A. natives through the dunes, you are not going to catch those dune rats.

We assume the old woman was safe at least for than night, but we don't have any idea what came of that deal. It was obvious they were both Port A. natives. Maybe once he sobered up the next day, she would be safe.
                  Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 08-01-2022, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Seen way too many dead folks in west Texas from accidents. One that sticks out was a guy in a hot oil truck. He was going East. I was going west on i20 in Midland. His fronts tire blew. Overcorrected and flipped several times. He wasn’t wearing a seat belt and was ejected. It scalped him. He was trying to talk to us but obviously was nearly dead. It was horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                      I once saw a LEO pass a do-nut shop and did not stop
                      Easily explained........they had crappy donuts

Originally posted by tbgascorer View Post
                      1. An elephant in the woods around Cut and Shoot, TX. Was in a sleepy stupor driving home from a fishing trip. Turned around and sure enough, live elephant. Circus performer property or something like that.

2. Sitting in the showroom eating lunch at work one day with some coworkers in downtown Tomball. Lady walks a mountain lion on a leash, down the street in front of our building.

3. Guy around Magnolia used to drive his pet black bear around in the back of his dually. Think he owned a concrete or construction business.
                      The lady with the lion was a former playmate and lived off shaw road. She had a tiger also. House is still there and has a 12 foot fence around it. Not sure the coogar or the lion live there anymore

The guy with the bear is Richard that owns AAA concrete. He had a pair of bears. You probably saw "Osso" which was the boar. He would eat oreos out of richards mouth. The sow got crazy mad and hit richard one morning. He went inside the house and came out with a gun and opened the pen gate. When she walked out he shot her dead in the yard. They had a BBQ that weekend and thats the only time Ive eaten bear

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                        Easily explained........they had crappy donuts

The lady with the lion was a former playmate and lived off shaw road. She had a tiger also. House is still there and has a 12 foot fence around it. Not sure the coogar or the lion live there anymore

The guy with the bear is Richard that owns AAA concrete. He had a pair of bears. You probably saw "Osso" which was the boar. He would eat oreos out of richards mouth. The sow got crazy mad and hit richard one morning. He went inside the house and came out with a gun and opened the pen gate. When she walked out he shot her dead in the yard. They had a BBQ that weekend and thats the only time Ive eaten bear
                        I missed the cougar for seeing the cougar hahaha. Good info!
                        I grew up in Magnolia and live in the area and learn something everyday. thanks!

Comment

I grew up in Magnolia and live in the area and learn something everyday. thanks!
                          Wife and I have been here since late 80s and graduated from Mag/Tomball.

Comment

Aint a Cougar in that county that he dont know about

Comment

I know its nothing new to most but I see waaaayyyy too many sofas, recliners, and mattresses on side of the road now days. Just mind boggling people lose them and keep on driving!

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                                Wife and I have been here since late 80s and graduated from Mag/Tomball.
                                Magnolia alum here also, '93.

Comment

Working...
                                X