No announcement yet.

ground blind-feeder setups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like you have it down to a science there Doc. Great looking set-ups.

Comment

Not to hijack but I'm thinking about getting a pop up blind and was wondering how ya'll keep the snakes out or even if it's a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by tuthdoc View Post
        I like two holes at least. Usually at 90 to 140 degrees. I don't want to pass between holes. My reason for at least two holes was pointed out this year and cost Mailman a chance to kill Lucky 2. They closed my second shooting hole on my blind because they only wanted one place to shoot. Lucky 2 came in and started to feed at my 12 yard "Killin' Tree". A calf walked under the wire and scared him off. The calf hung around the feeder and chum and Lucky couldn't get back to it. he paced behind the calf for some time then left. If Mailman had used my other shooting hole to chum, there's no doubt that Lucky would have made it over there and gotten himself shot...or shot at. LOL

If you only have one hole, especially during the rut periods, when does start running from the bucks at the chum, they'll go back and forth between the holes. If there's only one, most times they'll no put up with the harassment and just leave. Same thing with bucks. Two or 3 holes give the bucks room to move away from each other and they'll stay longer. I ALWAYS set up at least 2.

Here's the set up where I killed Wednesday, my Junco 151. I cut a semicircle into the brush and set up my blind. I three my netting over it, tied back my holes, and hunted 72 half day hunts before killing him. As you may notice, I don't use a whole lot of brush to "brush in " my blinds.

There's no feeder here, but I kept it chummed with my road feeder and the shot was to the road east, and to an opeing off the road to the northeast.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01670.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	23885454
        Doc,
        1st I'd like to say that I soak in the knowledge you pass on this forum and you have WAY MORE logged hours than myself... but I dont really get this one! Why dont you "brush in" your blinds? Yes, they look good to US with the netting but that 5x5 blob sitting next to trees is UNNATURAL to the deer. Yes there are some deer that will walk close and it wont scare them but I believe the mature bucks are skiddish of "the blob". Yes they can get use to the blob being there and will finally come in after 72days...but why make it so hard?????? I located my deer, set up a blind and "brushed it in" at noon, killed him the next morning in 30 minutes. He never even knew I was there! Ambushing them with a "properly brushed in" blind is the only way to go... IMO and it doesnt need to be a Double Bull either

Compare the two blinds...both look good to the human eye but which one is the deer gonna be skiddish of??? (if docs pic doesnt copy to this post...scroll up and compare the two)

Name:	DSC01670.JPG
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	23885454

Name:	groundblind.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	23885485

Comment

Originally posted by mitchbcs View Post
          Doc,
          1st I'd like to say that I soak in the knowledge you pass on this forum and you have WAY MORE logged hours than myself... but I dont really get this one! Why dont you "brush in" your blinds? Yes, they look good to US with the netting but that 5x5 blob sitting next to trees is UNNATURAL to the deer. Yes there are some deer that will walk close and it wont scare them but I believe the mature bucks are skiddish of "the blob". Yes they can get use to the blob being there and will finally come in after 72days...but why make it so hard?????? I located my deer, set up a blind and "brushed it in" at noon, killed him the next morning in 30 minutes. He never even knew I was there! Ambushing them with a "properly brushed in" blind is the only way to go... IMO and it doesnt need to be a Double Bull either

Compare the two blinds...both look good to the human eye but which one is the deer gonna be skiddish of??? (if docs pic doesnt copy to this post...scroll up and compare the two)
          [ATTACH]96521[/ATTACH]
          [ATTACH]96568[/ATTACH]
          why ask him this ? when you have already answered it...i pointed that out by the big bold letters Just like its your OPINION that you think that a "properly brushed in" blind is the only one to go well....thats Doc's way of doing his blinds and just in case you what to know my opinion, which i dont care if you do or dont, i dont brush my in that much as well.....o these young kids nowadays doc

Comment

Originally posted by Ground Threat View Post
            why ask him this ? when you have already answered it...i pointed that out by the big bold letters Just like its your OPINION that you think that a "properly brushed in" blind is the only one to go well....thats Doc's way of doing his blinds and just in case you what to know my opinion, which i dont care if you do or dont, i dont brush my in that much as well.....o these young kids nowadays doc

Yep....I think Doc's annual results (specifically this year) speak for themselves....

What was it 2 or 3 150s?....

Oh yeah and knucklehead Breez shot a 140....
            Last edited by Smart; 05-15-2009, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Great setups

Comment

And thats why ole "einstein" took forever to get within your 5 yrd shot limit Its not that "einstein" was so smart...its that you stick out like a sore thumb! And you stink too, go take a bath tire boy

Doc is full of knowledge! I'm not down playing his history of shooting Monster bucks... So tell me Breezy, why dont you brush in yours?

Comment

same day/weekend setups need to be brushed in.
                  if you're setting up for the season it really dose not matter too much. double bull recommends to brush them real light or brush them in like crazy.

the matrix & t-2 that i hunted out of this past year only had a few limbs on the top & bottom.
                  Last edited by Pablo Honey; 05-15-2009, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    Oh yeah and knucklehead Breez shot a 140....
                    147 slick 9

Originally posted by mitchbcs View Post
                    So tell me Breezy, why dont you brush in yours?
                    because they are double bulls.......

Comment

Informative thread. Appreciate the input from all. As for "Saltwaterslick," I must protest. Your design is not a hunting blind. It's better than the first apartment I rented after I got out of school. Exceedingly cool.

Comment

durn ain't them things hot in the early season? they sure look good tho!

Comment

Here is one of my permanant blind setups.

Front to the feeder.

Name:	Bow%20Blind%20172rs.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	23885497

Name:	Bow%20Blind%20173rs.jpg
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	23885498

Side to a another shooting lane.

Name:	Bow%20Blind%20174rs.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	23885499

Name:	Bow%20Blind%20175rs.jpg
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	23885500

Comment

I like the looks of that netting... I just happened to buy some at an Army Surplus store this weekend... Going to use some for a ground blind set up and some around my tripod...

Comment

This was uncalled for. He clearly stated that he soaked in the knowledge that TuthDoc relayed in this forum. He was just asking a question. Carry on, I feel better now.

Comment

Originally posted by txtimetravler View Post
                                This was uncalled for. He clearly stated that he soaked in the knowledge that TuthDoc relayed in this forum. He was just asking a question. Carry on, I feel better now.
                                Ease up hero......Those two are buddies although mitchbcs wouldn't admit it in public....just a little ribbing .....

Comment

Working...
                                X