Logs for cabin advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Logs for cabin advice

I’m looking at building a small log cabin, are there any places in Texas that sell these or kits, would like cedar if possible.

They don’t have to be the kind that are fitted either, I’m good with like an 8x8 square timber or beam. I was gonna bolt them together with 1/8th rubber mat between.

Thanks

Check Satterwhite, they might have a small kit.

Comment

They do

Comment

Is rubber mat commonly used between the logs? 1/8” thick seems awful thin. But I’ve never built a log cabin.

Comment

Buy polymer logs or cypress. Log homes weren’t meant to be built in the south. Expect a lot of maintenance.

Comment

Or have the roof and porches cover the entire log portion to protect it from the sun and weather.

Comment

There used to be a place near the Boerne area that sold log cabin kits. That was a good while back and I have zero info on their name.

Comment

Go cob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

For what its worth there are quite a few log cabin structures in the “first” established counties if TX. Walker has a ton that pre date Texas being part of the US and they are all white oak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                    Is rubber mat commonly used between the logs? 1/8” thick seems awful thin. But I’ve never built a log cabin.
                    Just a weather seal for flat beams when I bolt it together. Its just my idea and I’ll live with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
                      Buy polymer logs or cypress. Log homes weren’t meant to be built in the south. Expect a lot of maintenance.
                      A good coat of the proper log stain/seal, overhanging roof, and some bug spray goes a long way. It will outlive me.

Comment

There was a mill south of Longview that we bought from many years ago. We ended up building a 3500 square foot home from back around 2000. Make sure you keep them stained and sealed every few years and good big treatment. We just used a mastic of sorts it’s been so long I don’t remember. Came in a huge tube in the grooves. Drilled and placed pins threw the logs at each level

Comment

I can't help with a log source but when I built a cabin out of squared off logs, I used sill seal between the logs. Works great.

Comment

Originally posted by oneeye View Post
                            I can't help with a log source but when I built a cabin out of squared off logs, I used sill seal between the logs. Works great.
                            Thats still a consideration but I was looking at a material that would be the toughest.

Comment

Southland makes log cabin kits.

Rubber between will pull water in there, use insulation and caulk.
                              Spouse's family has a huge log house and they have had to replace about 2 full logs since 1985. They have it stained and sealed as needed by some guys from Pennsylvania I think it is, they do the log replacement when needed too. Best guys they could find anywhere to do the work and know what they are doing. The logs were from Montana though, Doug fir logs.

Some places make log wall kits from squared off logs, you stack them in sections.

Comment

Working...
                              X