Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

What’s the purpose for the cable suspended above the Red River?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It’s north of Denison off 91. You can get on Texoma Parkway in Sherman and follow it north into Denison. You hang a left in Denison to get to 91. I don’t remember the cross street where you turn left. There are at least two ways to get to 91 from Denison.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeBlood View Post
      I've always heard that Texas doesn't fall into the gulf because OU sucks, but it might actually be this cable.
      The cable isn’t needed for that, and you heard right.

Comment

It looks like the Texas side is at the Corp of Engineers, so maybe it was used to shuttle stuff across the river after the bridge was gone. That is sure enough the footings for some kind of bridge or support for something. The river looks to be way down. The next time you are near there go by the Corp offices on the Texas side and ask them. It would be interesting to know.

Comment

What’s the purpose for the cable suspended above the Red River?

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
          That's so if the bridges are out due to flooding, the guys bringing Meth from Mexico can still get it to their #1 market immediately across the river.

“Roscoe tried to miss’em, but he….didn’t quite..”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by Dale Moser; 07-29-2022, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeBlood View Post
            I've always heard that Texas doesn't fall into the gulf because OU sucks, but it might actually be this cable.
            The best !

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
              It looks like the Texas side is at the Corp of Engineers, so maybe it was used to shuttle stuff across the river after the bridge was gone. That is sure enough the footings for some kind of bridge or support for something. The river looks to be way down. The next time you are near there go by the Corp offices on the Texas side and ask them. It would be interesting to know.
              That’s a good idea. Will do. The next time I went through there they were releasing a bunch of water and it looked quite different. Praying my recovery keeps speeding along to where I can go there again soon. I’m determined to fully recover.

Comment

It is for steam monitoring, they take a basket type carrier over the river and lower instruments down to the water to measure stream flow and sediment etc.
                They are all over up here and most have a cable car basket they folks sit in , down there they don't leave them on the cables because you folks will do stupid stuff from them.

There were also several ferries that ran across the Red at one time, an old ferry cable is also still across west of Muenster before Bulcher.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                  It is for steam monitoring, they take a basket type carrier over the river and lower instruments down to the water to measure stream flow and sediment etc.
                  They are all over up here and most have a cable car basket they folks sit in , down there they don't leave them on the cables because you folks will do stupid stuff from them.

There were also several ferries that ran across the Red at one time, an old ferry cable is also still across west of Muenster before Bulcher.
                  That sounds logical, but this cable is just below the Denison Dam, so no need to measure flow at that location. Your ferry scenario or measuring sediment may be correct.

Comment

Historical

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                      That sounds logical, but this cable is just below the Denison Dam, so no need to measure flow at that location. Your ferry scenario or measuring sediment may be correct.
                      They are in place all over up here and across the west. They were mainly used before electronic monitoring.
                      They allow someone to go out to the middle of the stream or river and hang an instrument down into the middle of the flow to get measurements.
                      The old ferry cable crossings I have seen on family place are mainly older wooden poles with cables, not the newer metal towers.
                      That is a stream monitoring station. Probably not in use anymore hence no basket to take across the river.

Comment

Makes sense.

Comment

They are in place all over up here and across the west. They were mainly used before electronic monitoring.
                          They allow someone to go out to the middle of the stream or river and hang an instrument down into the middle of the flow to get measurements.
                          The old ferry cable crossings I have seen on family place are mainly older wooden poles with cables, not the newer metal towers.
                          That is a stream monitoring station. Probably not in use anymore hence no basket to take across the river.
                          Thanks for the info. It is interesting to note the names of places along the Red River when steam ships once carried people. If I recall correctly, there were some locations named after the ships/boats. Someone had a handwritten map of these locations with info not found on the internet. Possibly not even in any library. Some of it is dark but still history nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by MontagueMech View Post
                            Thanks for the info. It is interesting to note the names of places along the Red River when steam ships once carried people. If I recall correctly, there were some locations named after the ships/boats. Someone had a handwritten map of these locations with info not found on the internet. Possibly not even in any library. Some of it is dark but still history nonetheless.

There is a cable car over on the Texas side, now why it’s there, I can’t tell you because I’ve never asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

It’s a USGS cableway. Actually that one now belongs to the COE. In the old days as mentioned it was used to measure stage and discharge. Water quality samples for different constituents could be obtained as well. There used to be a lot of them but they are being removed due to age and safety concerns. Bridges and boats are being used these days in most cases.

Comment

It’s a USGS cableway. Actually that one now belongs to the COE. In the old days as mentioned it was used to measure discharge. Water quality samples for different constituents could be obtained as well. There used to be a lot of them but they are being removed due to age and safety concerns. Bridges and boats are being used these days in most cases.

Comment

Working...
                                X